Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

How to Use Your Current Travel Package Certificate Prior to 8/18

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Use Your Current Travel Package Certificate Prior to 8/18

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

You were forewarned several times to attach the certs prior to Aug 18....
Sorry, that's an absolutely ridiculous position to take particularly when at no time did the actual agents of Marriott Corporation who were selling the certificates communicate this during the sale of these instruments.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Sorry, that's an absolutely ridiculous position to take particularly when at no time did the actual agents of Marriott Corporation who were selling the certificates communicate this during the sale of these instruments.
You are the one with a ridiculously whiny position. Get over it
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:50 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

You are the one with a ridiculously whiny position. Get over it
We need to take some vacation and be away from those boards. All this stuff is hazard for our health.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum

Tough luck...

Should of have attached your cert to a reservation before Aug 18, as Marriott indicated inumerous times.
But many of us are long-time Starwood customers and may have purchased Marriott travel packages with the intention of use at a Starwood property. And this is not permitted until after Sept. 18. So unless Marriott allows changes in certificate category Starwood loyalists are really being disadvantaged relative to Marriott members. I think Marriott has done a good job up to now of treating Starwood customers fairly, so I am hopeful they will rethink the travel package guidance and allow at least a one-time adjustment to the legacy certificates.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by entrada
But many of us are long-time Starwood customers and may have purchased Marriott travel packages with the intention of use at a Starwood property. And this is not permitted until after Sept. 18. So unless Marriott allows changes in certificate category Starwood loyalists are really being disadvantaged relative to Marriott members. I think Marriott has done a good job up to now of treating Starwood customers fairly, so I am hopeful they will rethink the travel package guidance and allow at least a one-time adjustment to the legacy certificates.
That’s an even riskier gamble. TPs were never available for redemption at SPG properties, nobody said pre-merger certs would be able to be used on the SPG side after the programs merge and, I suspect, Marriott is not going to allow that in the solution they are coming up with.

Last edited by M.dA.R.; Aug 16, 2018 at 9:00 am
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
That’s an even riskier gamble. TPs were never available for redemption at SPG properties, nobody said pre-merger certs would be able to be used on the SPG side after the programs merge and, I suspect, Marriott is not going to allow that in the solution they are coming up with.
You forgot to add "Hey, get off my lawn" and "I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids."
entrada and blackhat_3_6 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:28 am

Nonsense. There aren't "SPG properties" after 8/18. And the certificates have expiration dates after that date.
KosherKimchee, entrada and CDO like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:31 am

TPs were never available for redemption at an underconstruction building. But once it finised and became under Marriott management, usually it's redeemable. I do think after merge, TP, old or new as long as not expired, should be able to book any Marriott properties, ex-SPG or not.

Last edited by khlay; Aug 16, 2018 at 10:38 am
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:37 am

Nonsense. There aren't "SPG properties" after 8/18. And the certificates have expiration dates after that date.
Agree. If UA says I can not use pre-merged cert on ex-Continental plane/route, I'll be extremely unhappy.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador

That's not correct. We have been told that there will be no SPG as of the 18th. By virtue of that information, all properties will be eligible for the TP's after that. Absent any specific statement from Marriott to the contrary I don't know why you would say otherwise. They have said all certs will be tied to a set point amount (say 25k or 35k) and will be eligible at every property with standard room availability at those point levels.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by davidsc111
That's not correct. We have been told that there will be no SPG as of the 18th. By virtue of that information, all properties will be eligible for the TP's after that. Absent any specific statement from Marriott to the contrary I don't know why you would say otherwise. They have said all certs will be tied to a set point amount (say 25k or 35k) and will be eligible at every property with standard room availability at those point levels.
Sure. But by the time this lock-down period ends, most of the highly desirable Cat-7 and Cat-8 properties will have been suck up. It is going to be very hard to book consecutive 7-night stays. A lot folks will be sorely disappointed. Both the Marriott and SPG members get ready to grab the prizes.

This is the the precise reason that Marriott advised us to use the TPs now. Not to wait to attach those to the shinny ripe fruits we all aiming for now.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by RedSun
Sure. But by the time this lock-down period ends, most of the highly desirable Cat-7 and Cat-8 properties will have been suck up.
That is certainly possible, although if you have the points then you can make a 7 night points reservation and then transfer it to the cert after the quiet period. For Marriott properties we may be able to book speculatively as well if they are handled the same as now.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Perhaps I am missing the importance of attaching a certificate to a reservation prior to 8/18 in the only message sent directly to customers by Marriott and Starwood. Although I find useful information on FT and some blogs, what I read isn't always an accurate reflection of official policy. The information the Lurker posted earlier about floating certificates being converted to equivalent points is not the same as what was sent to us a few days ago. When a company makes a major change to some aspect of a program, I believe that it should be communicated more than a couple of days in advance of the impending change by Email and/or its website and not indirectly through social media.

"If you currently have a Travel Package Certificate that’s not yet attached to a hotel reservation, you have the following options:

- If you know when you want to travel, make a new reservation or attach your certificate to an existing one prior to August 18, 2018.

- If you are still trying to plan that perfect trip, you can hold onto the certificate and will be able to add it to a reservation starting September 18, 2018."
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by davidsc111
That is certainly possible, although if you have the points then you can make a 7 night points reservation and then transfer it to the cert after the quiet period. For Marriott properties we may be able to book speculatively as well if they are handled the same as now.
If you are hoarding MR points now, you can book, even dummy book the rooms. But from what I heard, you can dummy book the SPG room without enough points.

Booking speculatively with points is beyond this thread. This is about TP.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Nonsense. There sure will not be any distinction of SPG legacy properties after the merger. Get a grip. And learn some good manners.

Last edited by M.dA.R.; Aug 16, 2018 at 3:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.