Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Long shot, but...[chances of Plat benefits while still Gold]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long shot, but...[chances of Plat benefits while still Gold]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:14 pm

For some, the fact that you asking for something with you know you aren't entitled to receive still comes off as entitlement. Your qualifier of saying you know you shouldn't get benefits makes it polite, passive-aggressive entitlement. But, it still comes across to some as entitlement.
TerryK likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
For some, the fact that you asking for something with you know you aren't entitled to receive still comes off as entitlement. Your qualifier of saying you know you shouldn't get benefits makes it polite, passive-aggressive entitlement. But, it still comes across to some as entitlement.
I now see how it could've been taken that way, but that was certainly not the intent. 4th of July holiday we stayed the night at the Sheraton in Boston for the fireworks and did not expect, nor ask, for anything that we usually get when staying at a Marriott property (upgraded room, lounge, breakfast, etc). We chose the Sheraton over the Marriott a few blocks away because of the heated indoor pool w/ the retractable roof. The only thing we did request was for a 2pm check out. What makes this upcoming stay different (and hence the reason for this post)? Hope that the programs would've already merged but that was pushed back. Then perhaps if that was taken into consideration along with actually achieving the 50 night level (again, if they had merged) during this stay. If the 8/18 date was given initially, this wouldn't even have been given a thought. There's countless threads with people taking actions based upon the previously expected 8/1 date.

Last edited by skw1; Jul 31, 2018 at 5:51 pm
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by skw1
I now see how it could've been taken that way, but that was certainly not the intent. 4th of July holiday we stayed the night at the Sheraton in Boston for the fireworks and did not expect, nor ask, for anything that we usually get when staying at a Marriott property (upgraded room, lounge, breakfast, etc). We chose the Sheraton over the Marriott a few blocks away because of the heated indoor pool w/ the retractable roof. The only thing we did request was for a 2pm check out. What makes this upcoming stay different (and hence the reason for this post)? Hope that the programs would've already merged but that was pushed back. Then perhaps if that was taken into consideration along with actually achieving the 50 night level (again, if they had merged) during this stay. If the 8/18 date was given initially, this wouldn't even have been given a thought. There's countless threads with people taking actions based upon the previously expected 8/1 date.
However, AFAIK no relevant program (not SPG Gold, not SPG Plat, not MR Gold, not MR Plat, not new combined Gold, not new combined Plat, not new combined PP, and not Hilton Gold nor Hilton Diamond) entitles your two kids in a separate room to use the lounge unless you pay for them to be in a room that comes with lounge access. Since they're presumably under age, they can't even open their own hotel accounts and earn status in their own names.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, AFAIK no relevant program (not SPG Gold, not SPG Plat, not MR Gold, not MR Plat, not new combined Gold, not new combined Plat, not new combined PP, and not Hilton Gold nor Hilton Diamond) entitles your two kids in a separate room to use the lounge unless you pay for them to be in a room that comes with lounge access. Since they're presumably under age, they can't even open their own hotel accounts and earn status in their own names.
The chances of someone stopping a parent from bringing a child into a lounge are zero.

We've done this many times. Our daughter frequently gets her own room on our stays. Would've never considered she couldn't use the lounge. I mean, she could've stayed in our room and use it with us and this way the hotel gets an extra night revenue from us.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by RichMSN

The chances of someone stopping a parent from bringing a child into a lounge are zero.

We've done this many times. Our daughter frequently gets her own room on our stays. Would've never considered she couldn't use the lounge. I mean, she could've stayed in our room and use it with us and this way the hotel gets an extra night revenue from us.
I assume you mean in North America. Outside of North America it happens all the time. Not every hotel, but many restrict the free breakfast to the restaurant if there are children, don't allow children after five and/or charge if the child is a third guest.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You and I both know that's not how it works. Most T&C state breakfast, etc are for the program member and +1. Not sure if it's being taken that I was implying trying to get a family of 4 into a lounge but that was never mentioned. They usually don't travel with us and when we are all together, my wife and youngest daughter usually go for a run in the morning and grab something small on the way back (exception being when we were at the Grand Hyatt Baha Mar earlier this year (w/o the kids), the club room was only an addt'l 7k pts per night so we went that route). The only time I mentioned the 2nd room was in regards to the nights earned as I've been concentrating most of my stays between Hilton and Marriott. Therefore wasn't sure on how that part is handled by SPG.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I assume you mean in North America. Outside of North America it happens all the time. Not every hotel, but many restrict the free breakfast to the restaurant if there are children, don't allow children after five and/or charge if the child is a third guest.
Have never had this problem outside the US, either, where I've had lounge access.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by RichMSN

Have never had this problem outside the US, either, where I've had lounge access.
Many Asian properties include the no-kids-after-five policy in the Welcome Letter and anyone who has been will tell you it is strictly enforced, including at all of the Bangkok properties. I watched a couple with a child try to argue their way into the Budapest Marriott Lounge during happy hour but they never made it past the computer area near the door. And someone recently posted that the snacks offered in the restaurant as an alternative when one had kids were substandard, although I do not remember which property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.