Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

(In the) days left before spg points disappear (should I transfer to airlines now)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(In the) days left before spg points disappear (should I transfer to airlines now)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, Starriott could halt all SPG and MR redemptions and require that awards of all categories be booked through the new combined Starriott program, which would normally require that accounts be merged first in order for points to be available.
They could, but they haven't announced that either. This is just as speculative as the "7 days left" statement.

(FT will go bankrupt from lack of ad revenue if members ever stop speculating and limited discussions to actual data)
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:53 pm

Is the date August 18th?

https://members.marriott.com/
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Check Marriott's Website

I frequently convert SPG to AA miles by using the 20K pts. to 25 miles. The Marriott site currently has the same bonus, but only if you convert to United miles. They show transfers to AA without a bonus. 70,000 Marriott points results in 25,000 AA miles. The 70,000 is equal to 23,333 SPG points, about a 16.6% increase in points necessary. I've received emails saying they are converting Aug. 1, but regardless of the immediate date, the long term will devalue the exchange rate.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by gejone
I frequently convert SPG to AA miles by using the 20K pts. to 25 miles. The Marriott site currently has the same bonus, but only if you convert to United miles. They show transfers to AA without a bonus. 70,000 Marriott points results in 25,000 AA miles. The 70,000 is equal to 23,333 SPG points, about a 16.6% increase in points necessary. I've received emails saying they are converting Aug. 1, but regardless of the immediate date, the long term will devalue the exchange rate.
When the three loyalty programs combine (August 18th), the conversion rate for AA will be the same. You don't need to worry. Beginning on that date you will be able to transfer 60,000 Marriott points and receive 25,000 AA miles which is the same as the current transfer rate of 20,000 SPG Starpoints transferring to 25,000 AA miles.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

as long as the points are in your starwood account (including transfers from marriott) the ratio is the same for those points, change is for earned after aug 1
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
In most cases, people will currently transfer SPG Starpoints in 20000 increments, to get the 5000 mile bonus added for 1:1 transfer partners. This is the best option for most people. There is one aspect on points transfer to airline miles which hasn't been addressed well. Currently for Platinum members, one can transfer a minimum of 1 Starpoint to an airline. This feature is good as a keep-alive, allowing to add activity to mileage plans to extend mileage expiration dates in some (mostly US domestic) FF programs. Does anyone know the minimum point transfer amount in Marriott's new program? The new Marriott minimum point transfer amount could impact SPG Platinum (1 point min.), Gold (1500 point min.) and other members (2500 point min.) To transfer small amounts, it might be a good idea to transfer SPG points to airlines now.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
keep in mind, that on AA at least, 2 times a year they normally run a special giving you an extra 25% bonus when you convert starpoints or marriot points. There is no bonus right now - if they follow the same pattern, there wont be one till close to the end of the year. so i wouldnt convert right now. I DID convert a few hundred thousand points earlier this year when the last bonus period was going on...
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by stant
keep in mind, that on AA at least, 2 times a year they normally run a special giving you an extra 25% bonus when you convert starpoints or marriot points. There is no bonus right now - if they follow the same pattern, there wont be one till close to the end of the year. so i wouldnt convert right now. I DID convert a few hundred thousand points earlier this year when the last bonus period was going on...
AC was always the same, except the current Aeroplan conversion bonus specifically excludes SPG/Marriott. A harbinger of things to come?

Last edited by IluvSQ; Jul 29, 2018 at 8:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.