Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SNAs - is there any benefit to placing on reservation way in advance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SNAs - is there any benefit to placing on reservation way in advance?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I remember also a time when my SNA request also apparently was reapplied with the time stamp reset. IIRC I noticed that the rate had gone down slightly or there was the same rate with slightly better benefits being offered, so I phoned Plat Concierge and spoke with a supervisor who assured me that the reservation could be modified (not cancelled and rebooked) so that my SNA request would remain. I had explained my concern with the SNA request time, etc. but the supervisor was confident. I should have followed my own instincts because when the reservation was modified by the supervisor, the SNAs instantly reappeared in my account, thereby indicating to me that the upgrade request had been cancelled in the process. Of course, at that point, nothing could be done to fix the timestamp.
priority according to time of submission is a SPG urban legend. That’s not how they do it. Short stays take precedence over longer stays and several other factors are at play before first-past-the-post.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

priority according to time of submission is a SPG urban legend. That’s not how they do it. Short stays take precedence over longer stays and several other factors are at play before first-past-the-post.
Yes, I know but I still want the tiebreaker to be in my favor if possible. The short stays "priority" operates through availability in that the (same) suite must be available for the entire stay for the upgrade to be considered.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shorter stays simply have better availability. Nothing to do with priority.

Priority only comes into play when there are stays with identical arrival/departure dates and same SNA requests. IMHO, this rarely happens.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TerryK
Shorter stays simply have better availability. Nothing to do with priority.

Priority only comes into play when there are stays with identical arrival/departure dates and same SNA requests. IMHO, this rarely happens.
no, that’s not at all correct. if you have a property with 2 suites on the SNA pool and both are available for the next 15 days (no bookings, no blocks) and SNA requests were submitted for three different reservations checking-in on the same day, one for 2 nights, the other for 4 nights and another for 7 nights, the system will clear the SNA request for the two shorter stays, regardless of the dates each request was submitted.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, IHGPlat, RadGold, Marriott Plat, BW Diamond

no, that’s not at all correct. if you have a property with 2 suites on the SNA pool and both are available for the next 15 days (no bookings, no blocks) and SNA requests were submitted for three different reservations checking-in on the same day, one for 2 nights, the other for 4 nights and another for 7 nights, the system will clear the SNA request for the two shorter stays, regardless of the dates each request was submitted.
That’s interesting information. What’s your source? Any insight into why the system would do this? I would’ve thought that the date of the SNA request would surely be the most important factor.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Travelosopher

That’s interesting information. What’s your source? Any insight into why the system would do this? I would’ve thought that the date of the SNA request would surely be the most important factor.
I’m not privy to any proprietary information, but over the times I’ve had the opportunity to chat with people who are more familiarized with the program than me. I can’t say that the example I gave is a definitive and absolute rule, but I am quite confident that the SNA system is geared towards favoring shorter stays, and for good reasons: SPG has to pay properties for each upgraded night, and properties want their suites available to maximize revenue from last minute bookings.

My point is, time of submission is not the decisive factor, much less the only factor, in ranking SNA requests.

Last edited by M.dA.R.; Jun 3, 2018 at 9:57 pm
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I’m not privy to any proprietary information, but over the times I’ve had the opportunity to chat with people who are more familiarized with the program than me. I can’t say that the example I gave is a definitive and absolute rule, but I am quite confident that the SNA system is geared towards favoring shorter stays, and for good reasons: SPG has to pay properties for each upgraded night, and properties want their suites available to maximize revenue from last minute bookings.

My point is, time of submission is not the decisive factor, much less the only factor, in ranking SNA requests.
SPG pays for each upgraded night. If they pay for a seven night upgrade, that person only has three remaining SNAs to use during the remainder of the year (or at least until hitting 50 nights again, assuming that SNAs are being used during a calendar year basis with none being used during the preceding/following year to simplify), but if the two night stay upgrade is cleared, that person has eight more SNAs to use at other hotels. Unless SPG is really hoping that avoiding upgrade approvals for longer stays makes SNAs more likely to expire unused--and I'm not convinced that there is such an effect--the rule wouldn't make sense. In fact, since the SNA process consumes some staff time/resources, SPG should prefer that we request and use our SNAs for as few stays as possible, which would mean favoring longer stays rather than shorter stays.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:12 am
Suspended

Try telling that to a property owner who gets paid $10.00 per night for SNA upgrades.

Last edited by M.dA.R.; Jun 4, 2018 at 5:36 am
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Thanks for the advice all. I placed all my SNA requests since it seems it is prudent to do well in advance.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:05 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

FWIW I am so far 8 for 8 on SNA redemptions
(29 nights)
5 of my 8 redemptions were for 5 Nights
( one was 2 nights, two were 1 night)

Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Thanks for the advice all. I placed all my SNA requests since it seems it is prudent to do well in advance.
For me, I would do the same. Reduce the risk that I forgot to apply those sna in the future date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.