Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Combining Starpoints from Same Household

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Combining Starpoints from Same Household

I would like to book a nice stay for our whole family next year. As I was stupid enough to be scared by the rumors about SPG/Marriott discontinuing the airmiles transfer program, I transferred most of my starpoints before the new sale came up.
Now we would like to stock up on Starpoints during the sale.
Can each of us five buy Starpoints and then transfer them into my Platinum account?
The reason for this is that if I redeem them for hotels, I'd like the nights to be credited to my account for requalification.
And if I should decide to transfer the points to an airline program, I'd like to get the 5k bonus (transferring 60k yields 80k miles, whereas transferring 2x 30k would only yield 70k miles, and they wouldn't even be in the same frequent flyer account, which would make redeeming them more difficult).
Is there a limit on how money accounts you can receive points from? I'm not talking about 10 accounts obviously, but five (at most - not sure how many points I'd like to buy).

Thank you!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I would like to book a nice stay for our whole family next year. As I was stupid enough to be scared by the rumors about SPG/Marriott discontinuing the airmiles transfer program, I transferred most of my starpoints before the new sale came up.
Now we would like to stock up on Starpoints during the sale.
Can each of us five buy Starpoints and then transfer them into my Platinum account?
The reason for this is that if I redeem them for hotels, I'd like the nights to be credited to my account for requalification.
And if I should decide to transfer the points to an airline program, I'd like to get the 5k bonus (transferring 60k yields 80k miles, whereas transferring 2x 30k would only yield 70k miles, and they wouldn't even be in the same frequent flyer account, which would make redeeming them more difficult).
Is there a limit on how money accounts you can receive points from? I'm not talking about 10 accounts obviously, but five (at most - not sure how many points I'd like to buy).

Thank you!
You'll want to look at this post from today in another thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29674953-post3.html
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Thank you. I am aware of the rules, but I was wondering if there was some sort of limit in practice (as obviously some people might use this to circumvent the purchase limit).
But I guess I can take that as a no?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
As it says, it's at "Starwood’s sole discretion". About 2 years ago there was a flurry of activity and guidance that 30K was the limit for points for a combination of purchased and transfers. But it was later clarified this was not the case.

I suspect this isn't an everyday occurrence, so I don't think you're going to find any "standard practice" - lots of people telling you their experiences.

You're a bit at the mercy of an undefined policy.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, that's why I was hoping for some reports from people who have gone through the process lately...
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: Marriott LTP
Our family has done this as recently as Q1 2018. We bought points in a total of 4 accounts, and transferred all of them into my account. No issues to report. All of the accounts had existed for at least a couple of years...

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Yeah, that's why I was hoping for some reports from people who have gone through the process lately...
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Thank you!
Our accounts would be only 30 days old (I just signed my family members up), but then I hope it’ll work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.