Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

One Program, Endless Inspiration – Preview August Redemption Rates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Program, Endless Inspiration – Preview August Redemption Rates

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by gardener
As a long term Marriott customer I can say unequivocally that that is exactly how Marriott sets award categories
Can anyone unequivocally say, though, that Marriott has continued to use this method when setting the reward categories for the forthcoming August chart ?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:18 am

Well, lucky for me I guess as I have flights and reservations already for Bali in February 2019..........I guess I will cancel my current reservations with points and re-book after August when the locations I am staying at move down. I am correct in this process to cancel and re-book and am not missing something am I? I had the W booked on points; Laguna booked on points and St. Regis on a BRG. I guess I will cancel the W; Keep the Laguna as is as it moves up in points and use points on the St. Regis as it will be the same as the W?

I will assume that current reservations on points will be honored and not be bumped up to the new levels?

Last edited by Bravada04; Apr 25, 2018 at 7:21 am Reason: another question to add
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drmish1
What will happen to the “all suite” SPG properties, like W / StR Maldives, from Aug 1st ?
I believe we saw in one of the blogs that those may still get "special treatment", as in not even fall into the top Cat 8. Hope that's not the case.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I did not check your math and question the 4% decrease at Starwood. But even assuming your math is correct... overlay a 33% cc earning loss with a 4% award loss and you go from 2.7 cents per to 1.7 cents per. That's massive in my book. Of course it's clearly less so if one was only earning Starpoints via in-hotel stays. But many FTers earned via both methods (SPG Amex cc being our primary card).
No one has argued about the impact to the credit card program. But this isn't a credit card program, it's a hotel frequent stay program..

But clearly some are going to find reasons (credit card, "it will obviously increase in the future", "limited stay properties"?) to ignore the fact that average points per night have gone down, so we'll just let the facts be the facts. You can decide:

A. Point requirements have gone down 4% - obviously a huge devaluation of the entire program

B. Point requirements have gone down 4% - this is a positive sign that "the sky is falling" concerns may be overblown.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I don't save my points to redeem at a limited-service property nor do I suspect most members.
You seem to have this on cut-and-paste. What does it have to do with an evaluation of the overall impact to the program as a whole?

Fwiw, I currently hold 8 reservations. At least 6 are "limited service properties", and I've never stayed at an AC in Spain so I don't know how to classify the other 2.

Anyone can feel free to state "this is a hit to me as the (2-8) properties I usually stay at have gone up." Trying to globalize that to an entire program is simply disingenuous.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=conde;29675712
Granted, guests will earn more points from stays in the new program. For those earning most points from credit card spend however, the new top properties award chart appears to show the devaluation many were fearing.[/QUOTE]

The chart shows no such devaluation. The points you have earned in the past are worth the same, maybe slightly more, than they were before.

The change in the credit card program impacts future earnings. This is a hotel frequent stay program, The core of that program looks to be relative unscathed. Yes, it's bad for those who don't stay in hotels and generate points through spend, but I think it's clear that gravy train is ending across the FF universe.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
As a long term Marriott customer I can say unequivocally that that is exactly how Marriott sets award categories. For instance, a Courtyard in a business town could be $250 a night but Cat 2 or 3 - because no one redeems points there. A Fairfield Inn in Gatlinburg Tennessee could be $100 a night off season but Cat 6 because it is a popular award destination.

This is similar to how Vegas operates a sports book - they set the "line" to get equal betting on both sides.
This makes more sense then. And it differs from how Starwood did it. They just used avg daily room rates which is why the Sheraton Times Sq was a decent redemption option. Now it's going way up because it was one of the most redeemed properties in the Starwood portfolio. Its paid rates however are still competitive for the area so what you say makes sense to me. Marriott increased the award level for this property substantively since it's so popular among all of us for point redemptions.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by CPRich
No one has argued about the impact to the credit card program. But this isn't a credit card program, it's a hotel frequent stay program..

But clearly some are going to find reasons (credit card, "it will obviously increase in the future", "limited stay properties"?) to ignore the fact that average points per night have gone down, so we'll just let the facts be the facts. You can decide:

A. Point requirements have gone down 4% - obviously a huge devaluation of the entire program

B. Point requirements have gone down 4% - this is a positive sign that "the sky is falling" concerns may be overblown.
Again, assuming only a 4% deval on the full award chart when released, I'd agree that the loyalty program side is generally status quo. For the subset of consumers who generated spend via in-hotel stays and who did not have the SPG Amex, they will see little impact (and in fact with all the new Starwood hotels might actually see quite a benefit due to all these aspirational properties coming online).

However you are too quick to dismiss the fact that there was overlap between many who earned via a cc promoted by the chain to complement their loyalty program. That loss is deep and does change the math for many. Dismissing it makes no sense as it was negotiated by Starwood to clearly add value to the hotel loyalty program. They are separate in a sense, but also do tie together and one must look at both earning points and spending them when looking at value. Apparently you didn't have the cc and/or rely on it for the bulk of your point earnings. Fine. That doesn't mean your pattern is the same for the others who accepted the Starwood negotiated cc and did rely on it.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:40 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
As a long term Marriott customer I can say unequivocally that that is exactly how Marriott sets award categories. For instance, a Courtyard in a business town could be $250 a night but Cat 2 or 3 - because no one redeems points there. A Fairfield Inn in Gatlinburg Tennessee could be $100 a night off season but Cat 6 because it is a popular award destination.

This is similar to how Vegas operates a sports book - they set the "line" to get equal betting on both sides.
A few people have said this now. I guess that theoretically opens up some opportunities to game the system a bit, by using points in dull places and cash in exciting places (like using points to stay at a Courtyard in a random small city when you go to visit relatives, but using cash when you want to go to a popular beach resort). Though much like not giving lounge access at resorts and (until August 1) not giving breakfast at resorts, it seems like Marriott's philosophy is strangely opposed to enabling you to have good vacations ... which you would think is the whole point of a hotel loyalty program.

I'm not sure if I really understand the logic behind this way of setting categories, but I guess Marriott didn't ask my opinion
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:54 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What happened to the W downtown that was vaguely close to Wall Street and the WTC Memorial? I don't see it on the NYC list? It's normally less IME that W Union Square and the other W.
There are various random properties missing from all of the region lists -- there are also a bunch of other properties (most of the various Four Pointses, the Sheraton on Canal St., the Aloft Harlem, the Brooklyn and Queens properties, etc.) that don't show up in NY for example. Dubai is for example missing the Ritz-Carlton International Financial Centre.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Bravada04
Well, lucky for me I guess as I have flights and reservations already for Bali in February 2019..........I guess I will cancel my current reservations with points and re-book after August when the locations I am staying at move down. I am correct in this process to cancel and re-book and am not missing something am I? I had the W booked on points; Laguna booked on points and St. Regis on a BRG. I guess I will cancel the W; Keep the Laguna as is as it moves up in points and use points on the St. Regis as it will be the same as the W?

I will assume that current reservations on points will be honored and not be bumped up to the new levels?
Yea, if the hotel cat goes down in Aug, just rebook FIRST then cancel I guess?

I am in the same boat. I booked Ritz at 70000 a night but it will be down to 60000 a night in Aug. I will rebook and cancel IF the dates are still available by then. If not, I will have to just pay 70000pt a night still I assume.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:25 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by musicscrip

Yea, if the hotel cat goes down in Aug, just rebook FIRST then cancel I guess?

I am in the same boat. I booked Ritz at 70000 a night but it will be down to 60000 a night in Aug. I will rebook and cancel IF the dates are still available by then. If not, I will have to just pay 70000pt a night still I assume.
One of the bloggers, I forget which, said something about you won't have to cancel and rebook, Marriott customer service will be able to re-price your existing booking or something like that. (That's now how SPG has ever worked in the past, but I don't know if Marriott does things differently.) But I haven't seen official confirmation so we'll have to see how it works in August.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
One of the bloggers, I forget which, said something about you won't have to cancel and rebook, Marriott customer service will be able to re-price your existing booking or something like that. (That's now how SPG has ever worked in the past, but I don't know if Marriott does things differently.) But I haven't seen official confirmation so we'll have to see how it works in August.
Thanks for posting this! It would be great if I can get 10000pt back per night. I redeemed the travel package already so hopefully I can downgrade it and attach it later IF the cat does go down which I think it will cuz max will be 60000pt per night in Aug.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bgriff
There are various random properties missing from all of the region lists -- there are also a bunch of other properties (most of the various Four Pointses, the Sheraton on Canal St., the Aloft Harlem, the Brooklyn and Queens properties, etc.) that don't show up in NY for example. Dubai is for example missing the Ritz-Carlton International Financial Centre.
Thanks. I had assumed that this was supposed to be a comprehensive list for the four places, of course with NYC suburbs not included. You're right that there are other obvious omissions such as Sheraton Soho and I forgot to look for the quirky Marriott property (Renaissance?) on about the corner of Fifth Avenue and 57th Street.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:47 pm

Forgive me if this has been answered (searched and couldn't find it, but please point me somewhere if it has been answered). Has Marriott officially stated that the Reward 5th Night Free benefit is gone in August? If so, even the "point appreciation" hotels are going to be devalued for total point spend over a 5 day stay. Obviously this doesn't impact everyone but as I almost always use my points for vacations, the loss of 5th Night Free is probably the biggest negative impact.

Thanks for the guidance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.