Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

One Program, Endless Inspiration – Preview August Redemption Rates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Program, Endless Inspiration – Preview August Redemption Rates

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bgriff
Curious if anyone with history from the current Marriott program can shed more light on how categories have typically been set there? I don't know if it was ever stated officially, but my impression was always that SPG set categories strictly on average daily room rate.
The paradigm for determining categories at Marriott has been based on demand for reward redemptions. Going forward the only thing I have seen is a blurb that they were creating a new chart based on price and demand, but they didn't specify whether it was $ or point demand.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Agreed. This is a clear overall devaluation on average making Marriott points worth less than .9 cents each.
I've always valued Marriott points at ~0.67 cents each, so 0.9 feels like a windfall to me. YMMV.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
And, of course, releasing an "illustrative" example that shows two resort hotels in Puerto Rico dropping a category is designed to make the changes look good since Puerto Rico's tourism was wiped out. I'm actually surprised that these hotels didn't drop even further.

Even some of the Mexican hotels dropping a category isn't a surprise, given all the violent crime and travel cautions.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:52 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'm fine with this - it represents what I assume will be a small devaluation for Marriott properties and if anything a small appreciation for SPG properties - with point earning going up compared to old SPG levels. Definitely a win from my side, though obviously I'll be watching 2019-2020 changes.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by beltway
I've always valued Marriott points at ~0.67 cents each, so 0.9 feels like a windfall to me. YMMV.
Surely since the 3:1 conversion post merger that valuation is low (at least on Starwood awards). The large majority of Starwood hotels can easily be redeemed for >2 cents per. My value is 2.7... although some value slightly less at 2.4.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by beltway
I always redeem for 1¢ or more unless it is a 7 night cert from a travel package, then I drop my threshold down to 0.8¢, but with the travel package redemption I just got miles at 1.25-1.3 miles/point (w/airline 25-30% bonus) which when accruing at Marriott translates to 25-26 miles/dollar spent at Marriott properties (10+50%+5 CC points/$), and soon to be more as PP would add another 2.5 pts/$. Not a bad deal for dropping my point redemption threshold a bit for the hotel portion IMO.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Apr 23, 2018 at 3:16 pm
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've been using about .7 and 2-2.1, and I look for values higher than that when redeeming.

The 9 properties I looked at for Barcelona this summer averaged .647, ranging from .461 to .888. Madrid was .440 to 1.149, averaging .703. Peru last year was .703 Lima, .76 Cusco. Miami layover was .53

So 43 properties in 5 locations, not exactly backwoods, limited service dumps, with an average of .659. Without Miami airport layover, it was .71
beltway and bgriff like this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
So from this sample, a 2.4% decrease in points needed in August and a 0.7% increase in 2019

Roughly splitting by brand (I don't have all 29 memorized), slight decrease at Marriott, about 4% at SPG.

(But for those intent on making it a massive devaluation, of course it is....)
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 23, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by CPRich
So from this sample, a 2.4% decrease in points needed in August and a 0.7% increase in 2019

Roughly splitting by brand (I don't have all 29 memorized), slight decrease at Marriott, about 4% at SPG.

(But for those intent on making it a massive devaluation, of course it is....)
I did not check your math and question the 4% decrease at Starwood. But even assuming your math is correct... overlay a 33% cc earning loss with a 4% award loss and you go from 2.7 cents per to 1.7 cents per. That's massive in my book. Of course it's clearly less so if one was only earning Starpoints via in-hotel stays. But many FTers earned via both methods (SPG Amex cc being our primary card).
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Lost in translation for the new top properties, is that some properties "decreasing" in points required, would really be an increase if points are earned via AMEX US SPG/Marriott credit cards.

Cat 4 example staying Cat 4: Le Méridien Bali Jimbaran shows a decrease of 5000 points, from 30,000 post 3:1 point conversion to 25,000 points. Previously, a US SPG credit card would require $10,000 of non-bonus spend to reach a one night award. For the new card, it would now take $12,500 of non-bonus spend. That is a 25% increase.

Cat 5 example staying Cat 5: The W Mexico City shows a decrease of 1000 points, from 36,000 post 3:1 point conversion to 35,000 points. Previously a US SPG credit card would require $12,000 of non-bonus spend to reach a one night award. For the new US SPG card, that could now take $17,500 of non-bonus spend under the Standard Award chart. That is a > 45% increase.

Cat 6 example staying Cat 6: The Westin New York at Times Square shows a decrease of 10,000 points, from 60,000 post 3:1 point conversion to 50,000 points. Previously, a US SPG credit card would require $20,000 of non-bonus spend to reach a one night award. For the new card, it would now take $25,000 of non-bonus spend. That is a 25% increase.

Granted, guests will earn more points from stays in the new program. For those earning most points from credit card spend however, the new top properties award chart appears to show the devaluation many were fearing.

Last edited by conde; Apr 23, 2018 at 4:46 pm Reason: Added Cat 6 example
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I don't save my points to redeem at a limited-service property nor do I suspect most members.
Neither do I and I’m confused as to why you quoted me making it sound like I was assuming most members did. I was saying that imho only the hotels no one wants to redeem at will likely see decreases.

Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
11 Howard and Gramercy Park seem to be incorrect. 11 Howard is category 6 now and Gramercy is 7.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
11 Howard and Gramercy Park seem to be incorrect. 11 Howard is category 6 now and Gramercy is 7.
Don't believe so. Gramercy Park is expensive. I've seen rates over $500 every time I've looked. 11 Howard has been much cheaper.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
Don't believe so. Gramercy Park is expensive. I've seen rates over $500 every time I've looked. 11 Howard has been much cheaper.
Right but they mixed up the 2. They list the 11 Howard as decreasing by 30,000 points as if it were a category 7 except it is category 6 and is staying the same while the opposite is true with the Gramercy.
Kacee likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Medved
Massive jump for -- going from current Cat 3 to Cat 5. This is a rather old hotel ...The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun from 21,000 to 35,000 (+14,000)
In fact, it’s even worse: with the introduction of peak rates in 2019 it’ll be 40,000 any time it’s worth redeeming. So basically double the current points!

On the other hand, it is currently undergoing renovations, which is precisely why I planned to visit in July: a last chance to stay here at 7k points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.