Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Gold today? You will NOT be getting Platinum after August 1st.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Regardless of the various arguments on whether SPG Golds were ever really "entitled" to Marriott Gold benefits, etc., etc... one thing is clear: SPG Golds will be losing a benefit mid-year, which is guaranteed 4 pm checkout.

It’s been clarified as of today. Starwood Lurker also just posted a clarification here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29734454-post980.html
Lifetime and Elite Status Updates
Since our announcement last month, we’ve been listening to member feedback and have a few updates and clarifications to share.

LIFETIME

Based on member response, we’re adding more flexibility for Lifetime Platinum Premier qualification. Now, SPG and Rewards members who achieve 750 nights and 10 years of Platinum status by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into that Lifetime tier, which starting in 2019 will no longer be available to earn. Rewards members can also qualify under the current criteria (750 nights + 2M points) through year end.

As we shared previously, members can also qualify for all other Lifetime tiers through both the new criteria on an ongoing basis and under the current criteria through December 31, 2018. And remember, we’ll combine lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August.

AUGUST ELITE STATUS

We’ve also received some questions regarding status in the new program for members who status matched to receive elite in both SPG and Rewards. In August, nights earned (vs. linked status) will determine Elite status in the new program. For example, a SPG Gold member (10 stays/25 nights) who status matched to Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) will be mapped to Gold Elite (25 nights) in the new program, whereas a Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) will be mapped to Platinum Elite (50 nights).

The below FAQs hopefully provide even more detail, and have now been added to members.marriott.com. Please be sure to let us know what other questions we can help answer.

Additional FAQs

Can I earn Lifetime status under the legacy requirements (active prior to August 2018) for Lifetime Elite status in Marriott Rewards, Ritz-Carlton Rewards or SPG? If so, when will I be notified of my Lifetime Elite status?

Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

If I will not be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite, will I have the ability to earn into this level in 2018?

Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.

How are years at tenure calculated for Legacy MR and RCR members?

We are keeping members “whole” in the applicable night tier in which they earned their Elite status.

Example: If a member has 4 years of Elite status at the 50 night level (Gold Elite status) they will be counted in August and beyond as 4 years at the new 50 night level (Platinum Elite status). Only the names of the levels are changing. How we account for tenure is not changing.

I already linked my SPG and Rewards accounts. What will happen to my matched elite status in August?

The current status matching opportunity is tier for tier (e.g. Gold gets Gold, Platinum gets Platinum), even though the qualification requirements and benefits between SPG and Rewards are quite different. Given this, the following Elite status mapping will occur in August (unless a member has also qualified by nights for higher status):

SPG Members

· SPG Gold (10 stays/25 nights) is status matched to Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) and in August will be Gold Elite (25 nights)

· SPG Platinum (25 stays/50 nights) is status matched to Rewards Platinum Elite (75 nights) and in August will be Platinum Elite (50 nights)

Rewards Members

· Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) is status matched to SPG Gold (10 stays/25 nights) and in August will be Platinum Elite (50 nights)

· Rewards Platinum Elite (75 nights) is status matched to SPG Platinum (25 stays/50 nights) and in August will be Platinum Premier Elite (75 nights)

Question: Does this mean that SPG Gold who is given the elite status from Amex Plat or an airline program with 0 or less than 5 qualifying nights will get matched to... nothing (ie basic)?...
Answer: I'm told "No" –if you have the card and get Gold today…you will be mapped to the NEW Gold tier. So, if you have the AMEX Plat/Centurion card that gives you Gold today…you’ll still get Gold status – just with the newly-defined post August 2018 benefits.
Print Wikipost

SPG Gold today? You will NOT be getting Platinum after August 1st.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Troopers
I include those currently MR Gold (without 50 nights) via UA elites, SPG Golds with 25 nights, CCs and challenge status.
Sure, but the great majority of posts are about the status of SPG Golds who matched to MR Golds, whether via a CC like Amex Plat or otherwise. I added questions to the Wiki to cover most of the options that are contentious (including those relating to challenge status), so if there's something you think has been missed then feel free to add your own question alongside it.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Sure, but the great majority of posts are about the status of SPG Golds who matched to MR Golds, whether via a CC like Amex Plat or otherwise. I added questions to the Wiki to cover most of the options that are contentious (including those relating to challenge status), so if there's something you think has been missed then feel free to add your own question alongside it.
Right. I'm expanding that group of SPG Golds matching to MR Golds to include all MR Golds without 50 nights. I wondering if Marriott will uniformly treat all MR Golds without 50 nights in the same way.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:26 pm

SPG Golds by nights do NOT deserve the same treatment as someone staying 50+ nights at Marriott or Starwood.
SPG Golds by Amex Plat do NOT deserve the same treatment as someone staying 50+ nights at Marriott or Starwood.
End of the story. People are cyring because someone might be taking your freebie away.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by yurtripper
MR Plat challenge successfully completed before August should (technically it's still TBD) get you Platinum Premier till Feb 2020.

Qualifying for SPG Platinum via 25 stays after August 1 but before Dec 31 will get you Platinum till Feb 2020.
Qualifying with 50-74 nights across both programs by Dec 31 will also get you Platinum till early 2020.

More interesting is what happens to someone who achieves Plat status via 25 SPG stays before August and then automatically obtains Marriott Platinum through account linking. My guess is they would get Plat Premier till Feb 2020. Those who claim that account matching would be ignored on Aug 1 (e.g SPG Golds will only get Gold) would presumably argue that SPG Plats will only get Platinum, rather than Platinum Premier.

We're still waiting on the Lurker for answers to questions like this.
Thanks for the clarification!
Wish there is a firm answer from anyone here soon as I am planning to make a run before August.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by coltonatx
SPG Golds by nights do NOT deserve the same treatment as someone staying 50+ nights at Marriott or Starwood.
SPG Golds by Amex Plat do NOT deserve the same treatment as someone staying 50+ nights at Marriott or Starwood.
End of the story. People are cyring because someone might be taking your freebie away.
Yes, a good time to be color blind. Use the nights and points from BOTH to determine status. We spent the time and money and don't bother with the games played to bump status (challenge, stays vs nights, CC comps).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
For those of you who think Marriott is being unfair with SPG, can you can enlighten me why Marriott is being unfair?

I can understand the confusion. But still I have no idea why the big fuzz?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:59 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Meh, it's not exactly like all Marriott Golds have actually stayed 50 nights at Marriott hotels. Maybe time to put that high horse away for the weekend?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
The issue for me is that I’ve got several stays booked for the fall at Marriotts and chose them bc I got lounge access with breakfast. If I won’t have that, then Marriott should give better notice than three months.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Meh, it's not exactly like all Marriott Golds have actually stayed 50 nights at Marriott hotels. Maybe time to put that high horse away for the weekend?
Nor have all SPG Golds actually stayed 25 nights in Starwood hotels. In fact, let's see: 5 nights credit from two credit cards reduces the requirement to 15, which can be earned by forcing work subordinates (or employees) to credit their rooms to your account (all to be reimbursed by the employer of course), so that you only need five BiB nights to get SPG Gold.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Nor have all SPG Golds actually stayed 25 nights in Starwood hotels. In fact, let's see: 5 nights credit from two credit cards reduces the requirement to 15, which can be earned by forcing work subordinates (or employees) to credit their rooms to your account (all to be reimbursed by the employer of course), so that you only need five BiB nights to get SPG Gold.
Both programs have T&Cs that allow bumping your status. This was deliberate and encouraged people doing things to book future nights. MR allows you to get LTP without EVER spending a night in a room, isn't that much worse than SPG Golds credit for up to three rooms and credit for CC possession (which MR does too)? Take the total business, whether by stays, promos, challenges, etc., and determine where you belong and forget about all status goals previously crossed. Someone that spread their business between the two programs just might be a much better customer than one that concentrated on a single chain. They know the brands, they know the differences, they know why they stay where they stay.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Both programs have T&Cs that allow bumping your status. This was deliberate and encouraged people doing things to book future nights. MR allows you to get LTP without EVER spending a night in a room, isn't that much worse than SPG Golds credit for up to three rooms and credit for CC possession (which MR does too)? Take the total business, whether by stays, promos, challenges, etc., and determine where you belong and forget about all status goals previously crossed. Someone that spread their business between the two programs just might be a much better customer than one that concentrated on a single chain. They know the brands, they know the differences, they know why they stay where they stay.
Getting MR LTP without staying in a room is practically very hard due to the points requirement.

Let's say that you used Rewarding Event is to bump up your night total to 750 without ever staying at a Marriott (it would be the cheapest way to get nights/dollar), and that the meeting rooms cost $500 each for those ten nights (pretty generous, $100-$200 is far more common). Let's also assume that all of those were charged wholly to a Marriott credit card and qualified under the 5 points on Marriott purchases criteria. 3 points per dollar on the rewarding events + 5 points per dollar bonus from the credit card = 8 points per dollar, 8 pts/$ * 500 = 4000 points per meeting, 4000 points per meeting * 75 meetings = 300,000 points. So even if you booked meeting rooms at the generous 10 nights/meeting at a high rate of $500 per meeting room AND you managed to book 75 rooms, you'd still be 1.7 million points short.

At one point per dollar on the MR visa, you'd just need to spend another $1,700,000 to get the lifetime platinum without ever actually staying at a Marriott! Or a mere $850,000 if you were to buy a combination of just airfare direct from airline/rental car/restaurant spend!

It's all fine and dandy that people are bringing up the Rewarding events (meetings booked) 10 elite nights as + credit card nights (15 account anniversary/1 for $3,000 in spend moved across the card) on the Marriott side, just as I think it's fine that people bring up getting the multiple room credit (e.g. book 3 Starwood rooms for the same 5 days, get 15 elite qualifying nights) because there are people that took advantage of both and it made it easier to get status in one program in a way that the other did not.

However, the mention of the possibility to get MR legacy LTP without "ever actually staying in a hotel" is kind of a boogeyman. It would require an insane effort and spend as to be unrealistic, those who could afford it could just rent the expensive rooms they wanted when they wanted to and get the luxury treatment anyways.'

We could also argue that both programs tested "loyalty" in ways the other did not.

SPG LT required minimum nights and minimum number of years at that level...but the ease of hitting those levels was easier, particularly if you were booking more than one room for family or coworkers/employees. They didn't care about how much you spent to get those nights, a $60 night was equal to a $600 night.
Marriott LT stopped requiring minimum years in 2012 (and even when it did, it was just X years of general membership and one at the given elite level to get it for lifetime) and went solely on points & nights. In general, Marriott spend was worth far more in reaching the criteria (10 points + 5 points platinum bonus + 5 points credit card on either the room or "qualifying charges" depending on the property) than non-room Marriott Spend (meeting rooms qualified at a max of 8 pts per dollar [3 for the meeting, 5 pts credit card bonus], airfare direct with airline/rental car/restaurant was a mere 2 pts per dollar, and overall spending a single point on the credit card - compare that with the 1 starpoint bonus [3 MR equivalent] on the SPG Amex for all spending!)

It's going to be somewhat apples and oranges. There are probably people who have SPG LTP because they take their family on vacation in multiple rooms or book rooms for their employees (there are even people saying as such on the Starwood forums here discussing the change of only one room qualifying at a time in new MR vs. old SPG right now) or had stays at a lower spend that would have put them way short of the lifetime points requirement in legacy MR
At the same time there are people in MR who qualified for LTP with over 100 credit card bonus nights or meeting rooms bolstering their night totals, and the promo bonuses in spring/fall bolstering their lifetime bonuses in just 5-6 years enough to hit LTP with not all of those years at LTP. (Marriott rewarded the stay activity [nights/points] beyond the qualification threshold to make a given rank in a given year to lifetime status in a way that Starwood did not, once you hit 50 nights, there was not much more of an incentive to stay at Starwood in terms of elite qualification).

It's somewhat apples/oranges, there is never going to be a fully equal comparison.

Last edited by phltraveler; Apr 27, 2018 at 7:33 am
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Agree, and I would add that SPG Golds by stays (with fewer than 50 nights) do not deserve the same treatment as someone staying 50+ nights at Marriott or Starwood.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Agree, and I would add that SPG Golds by stays (with fewer than 50 nights) do not deserve the same treatment as someone staying 50+ nights at Marriott or Starwood.
Agreed. There was a loophole for a couple years and now people are upset it's closing. I feel for those who had 25 nights at SPG properties and are upset there was only a 3 month warning period. I don't feel for those who earned SPG Gold from a Amex Plat card, it sucks, but they shouldn't have ever been able to get MR Gold in the first place.

Frankly for the 50+ night crowd this is a great thing since there will be fewer people they're competing with for lounge space and upgrades. It makes the status more valuable without having to add additional benefits.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis

The issue for me is that I’ve got several stays booked for the fall at Marriotts and chose them bc I got lounge access with breakfast. If I won’t have that, then Marriott should give better notice than three months.
Will they honour the benefits given the date of the booking? Or alternatively offer a refund if it was prepaid? They should.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Normally hotel will honor the current status when member check in.

This is not actually normal since the date is not the usual qualification date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.