Wiki Posts
Search

No more water bottles?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Plat Prem, UA Silver, Delta GM
No more water bottles?

The Sheraton I stay at regularly made the switch to Pepsi a few weeks ago. Since then I notice that I've never had the two bottles of water in room upon check-in. The big $4 bottle yes, the two free bottles no. Anyone else see this? This is on club floor.

Coincidentally (maybe) this week I had no service, even when I didn't drop the MAGC card at the front desk in the morning. In past stays (I stay here pretty much every week) I've often had bed made and new towels brought even if I *did* drop off MAGC card. I've never had it where no service provided when not turning the card in.

Isolated things? Or some slight changes? I only really notice because I'm at this hotel pretty much every week since last October.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Personally, I'd be happy to see water bottles go away. They are more destructive to the environment than any other single product.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I’d be happy if FT members addressed the OPs post, rather than take the thread straight off into OMNI territory.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
In my 16 stays this year across multiple brands (mainly LC, W and StR but also 3 Sheratons) I’ve had bottles of water in every single one of them and staff was always happy to bring more, sometimes even without me requesting them - if they noticed that I used most of them, next day they’d just bring more.

Personally its one of my favorite hotel perks, thanks to it I have almost entirely switched to drinking water rather than various sweet drinks which comes with a lot of health benefits.
Right now I’m staying in a junior suite in LRM Shanghai and the room had 6 bottles of water waiting for me on arrival.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
The OP doesn't mention the property. My guess is that this is very property specific as opposed to some global conspiracy against water bottles and housekeeping service. Take it up with the hotel directly. Especially if you're a frequent guest of that property I would think they would be very receptive in fixing any gaps in service.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by azeckel
The OP doesn't mention the property. My guess is that this is very property specific as opposed to some global conspiracy against water bottles and housekeeping service. Take it up with the hotel directly. Especially if you're a frequent guest of that property I would think they would be very receptive in fixing any gaps in service.
Agree would be good to know the property then others might be able to comment on similar experiences. Would possibly be better in the thread for that specific property also to get more accurate feedback.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Stayed at Sheraton Melbourne two weeks ago - complimentary water bottle was provided. I don't think this is some universal change that has been implemented.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:56 pm

For some reason they have replaced the complimentary water bottles at the Westin Capetown with a free litre of vodka.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:34 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
The property probably placed OP in a standard room as opposed to an SPG room, where the complimentary bottled water is a brand standard (unless Marriott changed it recently). A quick call to the front desk would rectify the situation.

Also, I've found certain properties hide the complimentary bottled water in the in-room refrigerator.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Japanese SPGs still have bottled water too.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Plat Prem, UA Silver, Delta GM
Property is Sheraton Charlotte Airport (USA, NC). Of course I can ask them, and I will when I'm back there next week, I was merely wondering if others that stay at Starwood properties had noticed changes other than Coke to Pepsi. Clearly others haven't noticed a trend, so I will bring up to the property. Thanks to all.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I stayed at the Sheraton in Steamboat recently, there was no bottled water and no pens or pads of paper, which I found annoying but not annoying enough to call to request.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
No bottled water in the room at the Four Points SFO from a recent stay either. Placed a call to the front desk and it was delivered several minutes later.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:03 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by MountainGuy
The Sheraton I stay at regularly made the switch to Pepsi a few weeks ago. Since then I notice that I've never had the two bottles of water in room upon check-in. The big $4 bottle yes, the two free bottles no. Anyone else see this? This is on club floor.

Coincidentally (maybe) this week I had no service, even when I didn't drop the MAGC card at the front desk in the morning. In past stays (I stay here pretty much every week) I've often had bed made and new towels brought even if I *did* drop off MAGC card. I've never had it where no service provided when not turning the card in.

Isolated things? Or some slight changes? I only really notice because I'm at this hotel pretty much every week since last October.
Originally Posted by econ
No bottled water in the room at the Four Points SFO from a recent stay either. Placed a call to the front desk and it was delivered several minutes later.
So did you try as this responder? I've had good luck almost everytime calling service express, usually all reasonable requests are quickly met.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Personally, I'd be happy to see water bottles go away.
Protecting the environment is a customer's choice. Hence different brands geared towards different directions. If enough customers think that way, other brands will adapt.
longtimeflyin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.