Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2018: Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Starwood Lurker
Signed-in FT members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost.

POSTING FORMAT

Hotel Name:
Arrival Date:
Departure Date:
Number of Rooms:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate:
Competing Rate:
Competing Web Site:

Comments:

FAQ

What is the Best Rate Guarantee (BRG)?

If a lower rate at an SPG Hotel is made available on a non-SPG website or non-SPG mobile application, upon its receipt of a claim that satisfies these Best Rate Guarantee terms and conditions, SPG will honor that Competing Rate and provide the individual that submitted the valid claim one of the following rewards: (1) an additional 25% discount off the Competing Rate (20% for Design Hotels) per room per night (up to a maximum of three rooms); or (2) 2,000 Starwood Preferred Guest® Starpoints® per room per stay (up to a maximum of three rooms).

What should I do if my claim is successful?
  • Re-confirm your rate at check-in; normally the hotel will have the correct BRG rate in your reservation, but sometimes you will need to remind them.
  • If you choose points, they will be credited after the stay; check in one week to see if they have posted. If they have not posted, then contacted the BRG team to get it posted.
Are SPG benefits honored for BRG stays?

Yes. You should receive the same SPG elite member benefits and stay/night credit as for a normal paid stay.

How do I view my reservation after my BRG has been approved?
  • Click on your stays to view your current reservation.
  • Click on "Set Stay Preferences" link for the BRG reservation, then SAVE.
  • Refresh your stays page and the reservation should be visible again. You may need to repeat this step if the hotel touches your reservation. If you apply for Your24, you will not be able to view the reservation details.
How do I add a Suite Night Award (SNA) to a my BRG reservation?
  • Follow the steps as outlined under: How do I view my reservation after my BRG has been approved?
  • At the end of this process, you should be able to select "Apply SNA to this Stay" from within your stays page.
GUIDELINES FOR A SUCCESSFUL CLAIM

• You cannot BRG against a rate on a Starwood Website/App (hot escapes, promos, Gov. Rate etc.). It has to be a 3rd party website/App.

• The rate you submit the BRG against must be a rate that is available to the general public
• Cancellation/Deposit Policies and amenities must match on both websites to be valid

A valid Starwood website reservation is required to submit a BRG

• If a room category is available on an external website but not on Starwood, you may still make a claim. You still need to make a booking with Starwood using the next lowest category of room and must include the cancel/deposit polices and amenities you are wanting- if your claim is approved the room type in the booking will remain what is booked.

• Only one claim may be submitted per reservation number (If your first claim is denied, you may submit a new claim for that reservation if you find another lower rate after you receive the denial email)

• You must book and submit a claim for the room type, cancel policy, deposit policy and amenities you are comparing. If you a flexible rate on SPG.com, they will look for a flexible rate when processing your claim, even if a lower rate for non-cancellable is available.
• You cannot BRG with a flexible rate against a prepaid rate. All information must be the same on both websites and the claim will be denied.

• If your comparable rate includes extras like breakfast or parking, make sure there is a room available on spg.com that includes the exact amenities. If there is no room available with the same amenities, it will be denied.

• Room types must be the same for a BRG.

• If you are booking and comparing rates for a non-refundable booking, note that you are responsible for any and all charges including cancellation charges, even if the claim is not approved

• If you have an approved and finalized claim and you find an even cheaper rate later, then you may submit a new BRG claim that is not connected to any existing reservation. If this BRG claim is approved, you will need to make a new reservation on SPG.com. Once the process is completed, you will then email the BRG desk to cancel your first reservation, if it is within the cancellation deadline.

• The cancel policy of an approved claim will be the same as what was booked and approved. It will no longer default to flexible.

• If you find availability for the room type you want on a third party website/app but there is no availability for that room type on the Starwood Website, then this may be an approved claim if it meets all other terms and conditions. You will need to make sure that you specify the room type you actually want on the Starwood Website section and enter 0 in the rate and currency. This will ensure that the processing associates know that the room type you want is not available on the Starwood Website. You may also add additional comments near the end of the claim form indicating that there is no availability on the Starwood Website for that room type to help clarify.

• If you find availability on a third party website/app but there is no availability on the Starwood Website, then this claim cannot be submitted as you must have a valid reservation to submit a claim. If it is submitted somehow without a reservation, the claim will not be processed as a valid Starwood reservation is required.

• Per the FAQ, "Any questions regarding claims should be directed to [email protected] or call 1-866-500-0368." A human is available at this number beginning at 9am EST.

OTAs not eligible because they do not confirm instantly:
  • AsiaWeb
  • BestDay
  • Cancelon
  • Ctrip (Known as MyTrip from Dec 2017)
  • Elvoline
  • HappyRooms
  • Hoteling
  • Hotelreservierung.de (according to BRG team 5 Sept 2017)
  • HotelsClick (Some rates on request, some instant)
  • Ostrovok
  • Roomertravel
  • Laterooms (according to BRG team 24 Oct 2016)
  • Hotelius (according to BRG team 21 Sept 2017)
  • Zenhotels (according to BRG team 10 Nov 2017)
  • Travelbag (according to BRG team 22 Dec 2017)

Special Conditions for BRG & Design Hotels
  • You may only claim against the absolute lowest rate on SPG.com, for the date(s) in question.
  • The rate must be the lowest on sale on SPG.com, and is regardless of the type of room you actually want, the number of occupants, cancellation policy and the amenities provided. In all likelihood this will mean you have to use a rate for a standard room, for 1 person, non-refundable and without any amenities.
  • It is not necessary for the rate on the external website to match the SPG.com rate in any way including room type and number of occupants. The only requirement for a successful BRG claim is that the rate be lower than the lowest rate on SPG.com for the date(s) in question.
  • As with normal BRG claims, you need to make a booking before submitting a claim but it must be the lowest rate for the hotel and dates. Since this will likely be a non-refundable booking, note that you are responsible for any and all charges including cancellation charges, even if the claim is not approved.
  • Amenities are not included in the comparasin
  • You will retain the category of room booked on SPG.com, even if the external website rate submitted for the claim refers to a different category of room. This is especially pertinent in situations where the hotel continues to sell lower categories of rooms on other websites, while not making them available on SPG.com. You will then be able to book a higher category of room on SPG.com, BRG the lower rate, and retain the higher category of room while paying the lower rate.
  • If you need to BRG Design Hotels for Double or higher occupancy.
    • The BRG will be processed for a single occupant, even if the rate does not change for more than one occupant. You must book the actual number of occupants intended. Effectively, you can only BRG for single occupant unless double rate happens to be the same as single. It is not possible to BRG if double rate is higher than single. No modification to occupancy is allowed if BRG is approved. If you submit with single rate, you will be stuck with single room; if you submit with double rate and single rate is lower, it will be automatically denied irrespective of competing rates.

Differing currencies

Marriott may deny claims where the difference between the comparison rate and the Marriott rate is less than $1. Rate disparities primarily attributable to fluctuations and/or differences in currency exchange rates are excluded from the guarantee.

Link to T&C
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/terms.html
Print Wikipost

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2018: Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
They are looking at the specific time to cancel now to match.

The new T&Cs do NOT state this. It just says rate type needs to match - Marriott in the past for LNF has said it just needs to match either "nonredundable" or "flexible" - the date and time of flexibility don't matter

SPG agents I spoke to yesterday said Marriott trained them to be this precise about it. She mentioned hearing negative things and this website and encouraged everyone to call the BRG line, ask for a Supervisor, and file a complaint

They are claiming this is how they were trained.
!
The rate type comparison is how the LNF at marriott worked at in the past, I wonder if MAR have decided to change the whole LNF program or if its just a matter of poor communication to the SPG team? If it is true that this is how they were trained, to get exact matches, it should also be reflected at the marriott side as well. If MAR choose to go down the path of exact matching the industry's two best BRG programmes was made useless overnight. It will have become an empty marketing gimmick instead of a device driving more business to marriott.com, maybe they recon this will be more profitable.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I have just cancelled 10 nights with SPG and switched them to Accor - they were Best Rate Guarantees with -25% for later in the year but many of my other BRGs are points and it seems that from 1st August, the points will drop from 2000 Starpoints to 5000 Marriott Points (1667 Starpoints equivalent) and now there are these changes to the BRG programme.

From reading above it seems that:

1. You must book a non-refundable rate and match it against a non-refundable rate BUT you don't have the 24 hours free cancellation as Marriott currently has?

2. As also said above, many websites have slightly different names for the room categories - these would be rejected.

3. The cancellation terms need to be EXACTLY the same? Someone mentioned deposits above. Does it also mean that if SPG charges the whole credit card immediately whereas another provider only charges you once you get to the hotel, it would also be rejected? (Even if both non refundable).

This is all getting a bit ridiculous. The only reason why SPG is viable is because the BRGs bring down their rates to normal levels (they are much more expensive in cities like Bangkok which is why I have just cancelled 6 nights there and switched).

I think this change to the BRG may be a reason for only booking the minimum nights necessary with SPG to have one more year as Platinum. Then i'll be jumping ship.
remymartin and GalaxyChris like this.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
I have just cancelled 10 nights with SPG and switched them to Accor

I think this change to the BRG may be a reason for only booking the minimum nights necessary with SPG to have one more year as Platinum. Then i'll be jumping ship.
Already accepted BRGs should actually be quite valuable. And should still receive 2,000 Starpoints since that was confirmed in writing under the T&Cs at the time of acceptance. Cancelling them is silly IMO. And if you like SPG Platinum, why wouldn't you take advantage of it as much as possible before switching in 2019 or beyond?

Also, which chain now has a better BRG policy? Accor? It's 10% discount is a joke. All of the other major chains are notoriously difficult to claim.

I'm not defending these changes at all, but it's hardly a surprise that Stariott decided they don't need a BRG policy that is so much more attractive than everybody else's...
Old May 28, 2018, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by X-ON
The rate type comparison is how the LNF at marriott worked at in the past, I wonder if MAR have decided to change the whole LNF program or if its just a matter of poor communication to the SPG team? If it is true that this is how they were trained, to get exact matches, it should also be reflected at the marriott side as well. If MAR choose to go down the path of exact matching the industry's two best BRG programmes was made useless overnight. It will have become an empty marketing gimmick instead of a device driving more business to marriott.com, maybe they recon this will be more profitable.
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
I have just cancelled 10 nights with SPG and switched them to Accor - they were Best Rate Guarantees with -25% for later in the year but many of my other BRGs are points and it seems that from 1st August, the points will drop from 2000 Starpoints to 5000 Marriott Points (1667 Starpoints equivalent) and now there are these changes to the BRG programme.

From reading above it seems that:

1. You must book a non-refundable rate and match it against a non-refundable rate BUT you don't have the 24 hours free cancellation as Marriott currently has?

2. As also said above, many websites have slightly different names for the room categories - these would be rejected.

3. The cancellation terms need to be EXACTLY the same? Someone mentioned deposits above. Does it also mean that if SPG charges the whole credit card immediately whereas another provider only charges you once you get to the hotel, it would also be rejected? (Even if both non refundable).

This is all getting a bit ridiculous. The only reason why SPG is viable is because the BRGs bring down their rates to normal levels (they are much more expensive in cities like Bangkok which is why I have just cancelled 6 nights there and switched).

It seems that the exact same T&C between Marriott and SPG are being implemented quite differently while Marriott is comparing rate types SPG seems to be comparing rate booking conditions; comparing rate booking conditions yields the BRG/LNF program more or less useless since with a very few exceptions a OTA has NOT copied the exact rate booking conditions as SPG.COM. It is better for MAR to scrap the LNF program entirely since it is basically a BRG program in word only. Interesting though that the same T&C can get implemented so differently across the same corporation makes me wonder if it is intentionally or just incompetence.
Old May 28, 2018, 1:38 am

It's one of the final nails in the coffin for me. I joined SPG last year for the 25-stay Platinum requirement (even though I was going to hit 50 nights this year before I cancelled 12 nights yesterday), the Lifetime Platinum (which had been made more difficult to achieve) and the Best Rate Guarantee programme. With SPG prices higher than similar hotels, there's not much left to keep me here. I'll remain Platinum next year but will also be planning my escape at the same time.

I just sent a complaint to the general customer service (via the form) and also the BRG team addressed to the supervisor.
Old May 28, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by puchong
That is good to know. However, will the property also give you the 2,000 Starpoints or the 25% additional rebate? That is the crux of the matter since the difference between the SPG rate and the OTA rate is rarely wide enough to bother looking for lower rates across numerous sites.
I never take the points only because I have quite a few so I'd rather a deduction in a universal currency.

Every manager I've asked for the extra 25% has allowed it. But you do need to make them aware of it because they all don't know the exact details of BRG...they just see a lower rate and offer to match it

I have an email from a Marriott LNF rep that says they only look at rate type and not all the conditions. Explicitly.

I also just spoke to the BRG team and apparently they have all their supervisors investigating all these changes and "seeking clarification" from Marriott this morning because apparently there have been an onslaught of complaints from the weekend, plus their response times have been abysmal. None of my claims since Friday have been replied to within 24 hours. We need to keep pushing for auto approval if they take a minute over 24 hours and hold them to their own T&Cs (at least the 24 hour rule is explicitly delineated, which they aren't adhering to, yet the rate booking conditions matching is not explicitly delineated yet they are following that)

It seems that the exact same T&C between Marriott and SPG are being implemented quite differently while Marriott is comparing rate types SPG seems to be comparing rate booking conditions; comparing rate booking conditions yields the BRG/LNF program more or less useless since with a very few exceptions a OTA has NOT copied the exact rate booking conditions as SPG.COM. It is better for MAR to scrap the LNF program entirely since it is basically a BRG program in word only. Interesting though that the same T&C can get implemented so differently across the same corporation makes me wonder if it is intentionally or just incompetence.
I think it is either incompetence, or perhaps MAR testing "stricter" conditions with the SPG side for 2 months to see the effects; SPG has more expensive properties so makes sense to use this sub group of their hotels to test market effects as a result of changes to BRG terms

I am pushing BRG to disclose the name of the senior executive at Marriott corporate responsible for these changes. If/when I get it, I'll post any contact info here for others to use to provide feedback

In the interim everyone should email [email protected] with strong feedback about this ridiculousness
Old May 28, 2018, 8:25 am

I never take the points only because I have quite a few so I'd rather a deduction in a universal currency.

Every manager I've asked for the extra 25% has allowed it. But you do need to make them aware of it because they all don't know the exact details of BRG...they just see a lower rate and offer to match it

I have an email from a Marriott LNF rep that says they only look at rate type and not all the conditions. Explicitly.

I also just spoke to the BRG team and apparently they have all their supervisors investigating all these changes and "seeking clarification" from Marriott this morning because apparently there have been an onslaught of complaints from the weekend, plus their response times have been abysmal. None of my claims since Friday have been replied to within 24 hours. We need to keep pushing for auto approval if they take a minute over 24 hours and hold them to their own T&Cs (at least the 24 hour rule is explicitly delineated, which they aren't adhering to, yet the rate booking conditions matching is not explicitly delineated yet they are following that)

I think it is either incompetence, or perhaps MAR testing "stricter" conditions with the SPG side for 2 months to see the effects; SPG has more expensive properties so makes sense to use this sub group of their hotels to test market effects as a result of changes to BRG terms

I am pushing BRG to disclose the name of the senior executive at Marriott corporate responsible for these changes. If/when I get it, I'll post any contact info here for others to use to provide feedback

In the interim everyone should email [email protected] with strong feedback about this ridiculousness
You are doing some excellent work here btonkid12345 I didnt know you are one of the Flyertalk Superstars.
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Already accepted BRGs should actually be quite valuable. And should still receive 2,000 Starpoints since that was confirmed in writing under the T&Cs at the time of acceptance. Cancelling them is silly IMO. And if you like SPG Platinum, why wouldn't you take advantage of it as much as possible before switching in 2019 or beyond?

Also, which chain now has a better BRG policy? Accor? It's 10% discount is a joke. All of the other major chains are notoriously difficult to claim.

I'm not defending these changes at all, but it's hardly a surprise that Stariott decided they don't need a BRG policy that is so much more attractive than everybody else's...
The additional stays I booked were all BRGs with the discount, 3 of which were in Bangkok this summer and separated as stays to help me requalify under 25 stays. Having realised that I’ll easily requalify anyway, I decided that it’s better to cancel them because there’s no point paying 3600 baht + tax on a BRG in Bangkok when you can get Ibis for 980 baht all in (including breakfast) in the sale and have around 100 USD per night left for spending on food etc. Even the Aloft was still double the Ibis with a BRG. So my point is that you don’t need to BRG with Accor because their rates our cheaper. I like the 2000 points bonus with SPG BRG but that can’t be done or isn’t worthwhile on stays of several nights. The benefits of SPG Platinum will still be there for the other stays (Sheraton Grande Sukhumwit) but there’s no point trying to hit 50 nights now. I’ll just use SPG for stays that offer good value in future and will avoid the many staycations I’ve been having due to finding BRGs - got enough points anyway and the recent Asia miles devaluation doesn’t help!

So yes it has been good for the short time I’ve been in SPG but I’m moving towards not being loyal to any programme in future (after 2019).
Old May 28, 2018, 9:06 am

Excellent work!, I will email customer care pointing out the absurdity in the implementation of the same BRG T&C but de facto different practice across different brands ... My bet is on incompetence; you would be surprised how many senior incompetent people you come across in a big organization, I have worked for quite a few in the financial industry. BTW even if it would be that they tried to explore new stricter implementation, doing so by employing the exact same T&C at SPG and MR but interpret them differently is in itself a sign of incompetence .. MAR should have formulated new T&C for SPG if that what was the intention

Last edited by X-ON; May 28, 2018 at 10:08 am
Old May 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I just received my first denial under the new rules. Somewhat apologetic, but with no real attempt to invent a proper excuse, other than referring to "different cancellation conditions", even though the competing rate was flexible or close enough...

At this point, I'm assuming that the default position will be denying all claims until the rules are better understood, rather than other posters' wishful thinking of an automatic approval at 24 hours...
Old May 28, 2018, 12:30 pm

I just got a reply from the BRG desk after pointing out that they failed to respond to my claim in 24 hours. Apparently the official line is that the automated reply message counts as their within-24-hours response:

I understand your concern with not receiving a response within 24 hours of submission; however, although the results of your claim was not received within this timeframe, contact was made to you within 24 hours when an email was sent from us thanking you for your claim form submission.
What a joke.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I just received my first denial under the new rules. Somewhat apologetic, but with no real attempt to invent a proper excuse, other than referring to "different cancellation conditions", even though the competing rate was flexible or close enough...

At this point, I'm assuming that the default position will be denying all claims until the rules are better understood, rather than other posters' wishful thinking of an automatic approval at 24 hours...
The rollout of the LNF T&C for SPG must be categorized as a fiasco, given the confusion expressed by the BRG agents when confronted with the inconsistency visa vi LNF for legacy MR brands. It seems that whatever training they got it was either wrong or very inadequate... Will see how they deny my latest SPG LNF claim, for which I am positive I would have been approved if it would have been a legacy MR brand....
Old May 28, 2018, 1:09 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by matravelguy
I just got a reply from the BRG desk after pointing out that they failed to respond to my claim in 24 hours. Apparently the official line is that the automated reply message counts as their within-24-hours response:What a joke.
WOW... Hard to believe a reply like this comes from SPG.
Old May 28, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
You are doing some excellent work here btonkid12345 I didnt know you are one of the Flyertalk Superstars.
I appreciate it, but I find persistence in getting to the "correct" person can sometimes make magic happen.

Excellent work!, I will email customer care pointing out the absurdity in the implementation of the same BRG T&C but de facto different practice across different brands ... My bet is on incompetence; you would be surprised how many senior incompetent people you come across in a big organization, I have worked for quite a few in the financial industry. BTW even if it would be that they tried to explore new stricter implementation, doing so by employing the exact same T&C at SPG and MR but interpret them differently is in itself a sign of incompetence .. MAR should have formulated new T&C for SPG if that what was the intention
Just for fun, I submitted a Marriott LNF claim since the T&C change. First off, they replied within 24 hours despite an auto reply stating they have a higher than normal volume of claims. Second, they only compared "nonrefundable" or "flexible" and approved it. Hilarity, but more sadness.

Originally Posted by matravelguy
I just got a reply from the BRG desk after pointing out that they failed to respond to my claim in 24 hours. Apparently the official line is that the automated reply message counts as their within-24-hours response:

What a joke.
I would give this BS right back to them. The T&Cs state, under "Verification Process" that we will receive a reply within 24 hours and then states everything they will do as part of said process. The auto reply does none of this verification, and so I would tell them they are not following their own T&Cs.

Originally Posted by thomasito
WOW... Hard to believe a reply like this comes from SPG.
That's because it isn't SPG anymore. It's Marriott.
remymartin likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I think the hand of the SPG BRG Team are tied so I would not come down on them hard. It's out of their control now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.