Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2018: Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Starwood Lurker
Signed-in FT members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost.

POSTING FORMAT

Hotel Name:
Arrival Date:
Departure Date:
Number of Rooms:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate:
Competing Rate:
Competing Web Site:

Comments:

FAQ

What is the Best Rate Guarantee (BRG)?

If a lower rate at an SPG Hotel is made available on a non-SPG website or non-SPG mobile application, upon its receipt of a claim that satisfies these Best Rate Guarantee terms and conditions, SPG will honor that Competing Rate and provide the individual that submitted the valid claim one of the following rewards: (1) an additional 25% discount off the Competing Rate (20% for Design Hotels) per room per night (up to a maximum of three rooms); or (2) 2,000 Starwood Preferred Guest® Starpoints® per room per stay (up to a maximum of three rooms).

What should I do if my claim is successful?
  • Re-confirm your rate at check-in; normally the hotel will have the correct BRG rate in your reservation, but sometimes you will need to remind them.
  • If you choose points, they will be credited after the stay; check in one week to see if they have posted. If they have not posted, then contacted the BRG team to get it posted.
Are SPG benefits honored for BRG stays?

Yes. You should receive the same SPG elite member benefits and stay/night credit as for a normal paid stay.

How do I view my reservation after my BRG has been approved?
  • Click on your stays to view your current reservation.
  • Click on "Set Stay Preferences" link for the BRG reservation, then SAVE.
  • Refresh your stays page and the reservation should be visible again. You may need to repeat this step if the hotel touches your reservation. If you apply for Your24, you will not be able to view the reservation details.
How do I add a Suite Night Award (SNA) to a my BRG reservation?
  • Follow the steps as outlined under: How do I view my reservation after my BRG has been approved?
  • At the end of this process, you should be able to select "Apply SNA to this Stay" from within your stays page.
GUIDELINES FOR A SUCCESSFUL CLAIM

• You cannot BRG against a rate on a Starwood Website/App (hot escapes, promos, Gov. Rate etc.). It has to be a 3rd party website/App.

• The rate you submit the BRG against must be a rate that is available to the general public
• Cancellation/Deposit Policies and amenities must match on both websites to be valid

A valid Starwood website reservation is required to submit a BRG

• If a room category is available on an external website but not on Starwood, you may still make a claim. You still need to make a booking with Starwood using the next lowest category of room and must include the cancel/deposit polices and amenities you are wanting- if your claim is approved the room type in the booking will remain what is booked.

• Only one claim may be submitted per reservation number (If your first claim is denied, you may submit a new claim for that reservation if you find another lower rate after you receive the denial email)

• You must book and submit a claim for the room type, cancel policy, deposit policy and amenities you are comparing. If you a flexible rate on SPG.com, they will look for a flexible rate when processing your claim, even if a lower rate for non-cancellable is available.
• You cannot BRG with a flexible rate against a prepaid rate. All information must be the same on both websites and the claim will be denied.

• If your comparable rate includes extras like breakfast or parking, make sure there is a room available on spg.com that includes the exact amenities. If there is no room available with the same amenities, it will be denied.

• Room types must be the same for a BRG.

• If you are booking and comparing rates for a non-refundable booking, note that you are responsible for any and all charges including cancellation charges, even if the claim is not approved

• If you have an approved and finalized claim and you find an even cheaper rate later, then you may submit a new BRG claim that is not connected to any existing reservation. If this BRG claim is approved, you will need to make a new reservation on SPG.com. Once the process is completed, you will then email the BRG desk to cancel your first reservation, if it is within the cancellation deadline.

• The cancel policy of an approved claim will be the same as what was booked and approved. It will no longer default to flexible.

• If you find availability for the room type you want on a third party website/app but there is no availability for that room type on the Starwood Website, then this may be an approved claim if it meets all other terms and conditions. You will need to make sure that you specify the room type you actually want on the Starwood Website section and enter 0 in the rate and currency. This will ensure that the processing associates know that the room type you want is not available on the Starwood Website. You may also add additional comments near the end of the claim form indicating that there is no availability on the Starwood Website for that room type to help clarify.

• If you find availability on a third party website/app but there is no availability on the Starwood Website, then this claim cannot be submitted as you must have a valid reservation to submit a claim. If it is submitted somehow without a reservation, the claim will not be processed as a valid Starwood reservation is required.

• Per the FAQ, "Any questions regarding claims should be directed to [email protected] or call 1-866-500-0368." A human is available at this number beginning at 9am EST.

OTAs not eligible because they do not confirm instantly:
  • AsiaWeb
  • BestDay
  • Cancelon
  • Ctrip (Known as MyTrip from Dec 2017)
  • Elvoline
  • HappyRooms
  • Hoteling
  • Hotelreservierung.de (according to BRG team 5 Sept 2017)
  • HotelsClick (Some rates on request, some instant)
  • Ostrovok
  • Roomertravel
  • Laterooms (according to BRG team 24 Oct 2016)
  • Hotelius (according to BRG team 21 Sept 2017)
  • Zenhotels (according to BRG team 10 Nov 2017)
  • Travelbag (according to BRG team 22 Dec 2017)

Special Conditions for BRG & Design Hotels
  • You may only claim against the absolute lowest rate on SPG.com, for the date(s) in question.
  • The rate must be the lowest on sale on SPG.com, and is regardless of the type of room you actually want, the number of occupants, cancellation policy and the amenities provided. In all likelihood this will mean you have to use a rate for a standard room, for 1 person, non-refundable and without any amenities.
  • It is not necessary for the rate on the external website to match the SPG.com rate in any way including room type and number of occupants. The only requirement for a successful BRG claim is that the rate be lower than the lowest rate on SPG.com for the date(s) in question.
  • As with normal BRG claims, you need to make a booking before submitting a claim but it must be the lowest rate for the hotel and dates. Since this will likely be a non-refundable booking, note that you are responsible for any and all charges including cancellation charges, even if the claim is not approved.
  • Amenities are not included in the comparasin
  • You will retain the category of room booked on SPG.com, even if the external website rate submitted for the claim refers to a different category of room. This is especially pertinent in situations where the hotel continues to sell lower categories of rooms on other websites, while not making them available on SPG.com. You will then be able to book a higher category of room on SPG.com, BRG the lower rate, and retain the higher category of room while paying the lower rate.
  • If you need to BRG Design Hotels for Double or higher occupancy.
    • The BRG will be processed for a single occupant, even if the rate does not change for more than one occupant. You must book the actual number of occupants intended. Effectively, you can only BRG for single occupant unless double rate happens to be the same as single. It is not possible to BRG if double rate is higher than single. No modification to occupancy is allowed if BRG is approved. If you submit with single rate, you will be stuck with single room; if you submit with double rate and single rate is lower, it will be automatically denied irrespective of competing rates.

Differing currencies

Marriott may deny claims where the difference between the comparison rate and the Marriott rate is less than $1. Rate disparities primarily attributable to fluctuations and/or differences in currency exchange rates are excluded from the guarantee.

Link to T&C
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/terms.html
Print Wikipost

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2018: Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 7:50 am

@uxb : this is nonsense, simply close this thread. They don't need monitoring this thread about which website give better prices to compare with hotel prices, short script on BRG claims data base will show statistics which websites make bargain prices. Gala take off a lot of SPG hotels, but belive me this is not problem that members put in this thread their website name. SPG BRG program evolves to future Marriott rulez and stoping using website names here nothing change.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HHQX888
@uxb : this is nonsense, simply close this thread. They don't need monitoring this thread about which website give better prices to compare with hotel prices, short script on BRG claims data base will show statistics which websites make bargain prices. Gala take off a lot of SPG hotels, but belive me this is not problem that members put in this thread their website name. SPG BRG program evolves to future Marriott rulez and stoping using website names here nothing change.
Gala no longer have inventory for a substantial percentage of the SPG hotels I historically used them for. You want to tell us that it's a complete coincidence that a Turkish website is so well-known? And that so many hotels have blacklisted Gala?

We can either have a useful BRG that requires a bit more work for the dedicated. Or we can have a free-for-all so it ends up like Hyatt / IHG and nobody gets anything... I'm with the OP / Mod on this one.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:23 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Gala no longer have inventory for a substantial percentage of the SPG hotels I historically used them for. You want to tell us that it's a complete coincidence that a Turkish website is so well-known? And that so many hotels have blacklisted Gala?

We can either have a useful BRG that requires a bit more work for the dedicated. Or we can have a free-for-all so it ends up like Hyatt / IHG and nobody gets anything... I'm with the OP / Mod on this one.
As HHQX888 says, if the SPG/Marriott/individual properties want to know where successful BRGs are coming from and blacklist those sites, they already have access to a far more comprehensive data source than this thread.

I do appreciate the distinction that having competing sites listed in the thread makes it easier for would-be BRGers to find sites for potential BRGs, but are there really any surprises at this point that haven't already been listed before? (And if someone had one, would they really post it?)

I'm also in the camp that wonders what the purpose of the thread is without it other than chest-thumping. Maybe a closed Facebook group is a better way to go.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by uxb
While it is an independent forum, there are Starwood and Marriott lurkers monitoring. As a result of their efforts, there are far fewer eligible sites than there once was. To preserve what's left and foster new competition, we must go this route from this point forward. I know this in unpopular, but BRGing is not a #humblebrag . It is meant to save people money. We want it to continue exactly as it does now.
Very good. I requested the same development a a couple of months ago and I'm glad we follow Marriott's foot steps considering the generous 25% we are now getting instead of the 20%.

There are already lots of tools to find brg and i'd prefer they and the 3rd parties stay hidden in order to keep the brg system alive. A Brg thread has always been a thread about bragging about your low rate, not helping the whole internet how to score a deal. We all know what happened when Hyatt's Brg program became a bit too popular for its own good. Hotels earn less money when their guests are on a brg rate. What happens when 25% or perhaps 50% of its guests are on a brg rate?
That same thing could happen any time to Marriott/SPG - and it probably will.
First you make changes to your membership program, then you start with the rest.
Old May 4, 2018, 3:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by craigthemif

For crying out loud, Marriott and SPG don’t need to check out this thread to find out which OTAs are being used to catch good competing rates. They have that info already! We give it to them when we submit BRG claims.

Do you not think that each time a BRG claim is approved the property is alerted to the identity of the competing site, so that it can enforce its own brg penalties against the OTA ?

99% of competing rates are due to the OTAs not complying with brg clauses in their own contracts with individual properties in a shortcut attempt to meet bulk sales goals for the rates they negotiated. When caught dumping rooms publicly OTA’s are liable to reimburse the property for the rate difference and the BRG fine it had to pay SPG plus a contractual penalty.

This occurs not because some lurker found out about the OTA here on FT, but because the BRG desk notifies the property of the approved BRG claim.

Changing the thread’s policy means this will no longer be a thread aimed at sharing info and mutual assistance, but rather will become what many have always wished it were: a thread for a few to brag about how incredibly clever and resorceful they are in finding great bargains.

Apparently, some folks’ self esteem is wholly dependant on the perception of their own abilty to outscore everyone else with regards to bargain hotel rates and then watch gleefuly as others try, and fail, to reach their heels in such tremenduosly important endeavours.

Last edited by M.dA.R.; May 4, 2018 at 4:22 am
Old May 4, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Pretty disappointing experience coming over from the Marriott side. They denied my claim, but matched my flexible Expedia rate with a non-refundable pre-paid rate on the SPG website. I've tried calling, but am developing a flat ear sitting on hold (40 minutes so far).
Old May 4, 2018, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by lexdevil
Pretty disappointing experience coming over from the Marriott side. They denied my claim, but matched my flexible Expedia rate with a non-refundable pre-paid rate on the SPG website. I've tried calling, but am developing a flat ear sitting on hold (40 minutes so far).
It might be helpful if you familiarized yourself with the BRG process (summarized in the wiki). Cancellation policy has NO bearing on the claim with SPG. You need to find a lower rate than the lowest rate on the SPG site, period. Cancellation policies don't have to match. Your reservation cancellation policy also does not have to match. ALWAYS make your reservation using a flexible rate even if you are BRGing against a prepaid rate. Your reservation will remain flexible even if the BRG is approved (except for a few rogue properties like the Element Times Square).

Once you learn the rules, you'll understand how awesome the SPG BRGs really are.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
It might be helpful if you familiarized yourself with the BRG process (summarized in the wiki). Cancellation policy has NO bearing on the claim with SPG. You need to find a lower rate than the lowest rate on the SPG site, period. Cancellation policies don't have to match. Your reservation cancellation policy also does not have to match. ALWAYS make your reservation using a flexible rate even if you are BRGing against a prepaid rate. Your reservation will remain flexible even if the BRG is approved (except for a few rogue properties like the Element Times Square).

Once you learn the rules, you'll understand how awesome the SPG BRGs really are.
I prefer the Marriott system on this one, because I do not have to match the lowest possible rate, only the lowest comparable rate. There are lots of cases, like my current one, where I can find a flexible rate lower than the standard rate, but cannot find one lower than the pre-paid rate. This means that the only way I can get access to the lower rate is to book the non-refundable rate, but that's a risk I don't want to take in this case.

I was looking forward to trying an SPG property on an upcoming trip, but it looks like I'll stick with a Marriott property because the SPG ones can't compete on price without forcing me to take a non-refundable rate.

It will be interesting to see which way Marriott swings on this come August.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I prefer the Marriott system on this one, because I do not have to match the lowest possible rate, only the lowest comparable rate.......
I see your point yet the advantage of SPG BRG is that you can effectively get lowest nonrefundable rate and retain flexibility.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
I prefer the Marriott system on this one, because I do not have to match the lowest possible rate, only the lowest comparable rate. There are lots of cases, like my current one, where I can find a flexible rate lower than the standard rate, but cannot find one lower than the pre-paid rate. This means that the only way I can get access to the lower rate is to book the non-refundable rate, but that's a risk I don't want to take in this case.

I was looking forward to trying an SPG property on an upcoming trip, but it looks like I'll stick with a Marriott property because the SPG ones can't compete on price without forcing me to take a non-refundable rate.

It will be interesting to see which way Marriott swings on this come August.
You don't need to book a non-refundable you book a flexible and BRG lowest against lowest given room type /rate you get to keep the flexible conditions on your BRG booking.
Old May 5, 2018, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by X-ON
You don't need to book a non-refundable you book a flexible and BRG lowest against lowest given room type /rate you get to keep the flexible conditions on your BRG booking.
I get that. My issue is that the lowest SPG rate is non-refundable. There is, so far as I've seen, no lower rate on other sites (non-refundable or flexible). As a result, I do not have a rate to challenge with, and I cannot book SPG's lowest available rate, because I am not willing to risk a non-refundable reservation. This means that the lowest available rate on SPG is not available to me, and I'm stuck with their substantially higher flexible rate. It means the I do not have access to the best rate.
Old May 5, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I get that. My issue is that the lowest SPG rate is non-refundable. There is, so far as I've seen, no lower rate on other sites (non-refundable or flexible). As a result, I do not have a rate to challenge with, and I cannot book SPG's lowest available rate, because I am not willing to risk a non-refundable reservation. This means that the lowest available rate on SPG is not available to me, and I'm stuck with their substantially higher flexible rate. It means the I do not have access to the best rate.
It seems you dont get it. If you you book an SPG flexible rate and they compare the comparison rate that you use against the the lowest SPG non flexible rate and approve your BRG then the BRG will still be a flexible rate meaning you will be able to get a full refund up until the normal flexible limits. You dont have to book a non refundable reservation to do the match against a non refundable rate.

You can however match a breakfast rate against an SPG breakfast rate which I sometimes do a you can with the discount still get a better rate than if approved even though when I was a plat I would get it free.
Old May 5, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by geminidreams
It seems you dont get it. If you you book an SPG flexible rate and they compare the comparison rate that you use against the the lowest SPG non flexible rate and approve your BRG then the BRG will still be a flexible rate meaning you will be able to get a full refund up until the normal flexible limits. You dont have to book a non refundable reservation to do the match against a non refundable rate.

You can however match a breakfast rate against an SPG breakfast rate which I sometimes do a you can with the discount still get a better rate than if approved even though when I was a plat I would get it free.
No, I really do get it. Your scenario is not my scenario. To make it concrete/clear:

1. SPG has a flexible public rate of $285, a flexible SPG rate of $275, and a pre-paid non-refundable rate of $225.

2. There is no rate on competing sites below the SPG $225 non-refundable rate, so I have no rate with which to challenge.

3. Expedia has a flexible rate of $271. If SPG's BRG worked like Marriott's LNF program, I could use that $271 rate to challenge the $285 rate (Marriott does not do exclusive member rates or auto club rates in LNF; the rates must be available to all). My $271 rate with Expedia would be matched and decreased by 25%, giving me a final rate of $203.

4. Instead, I don't even have access to the lower rate of $225 because I do not want to book the non-refundable rate with SPG. That means I'm stuck booking at $275, rather than $225. In other words, because I need a flexible rate, I am not guaranteed the best rate.

5. The upshot is that I'll book a $195 room at a Marriott property with better reviews and skip trying the Starwood property I was curious about.
Old May 5, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
You don't get it. #4 is incorrect.

4. Instead, I don't even have access to the lower rate of $225 because I do not want to book the non-refundable rate with SPG. That means I'm stuck booking at $275, rather than $225. In other words, because I need a flexible rate, I am not guaranteed the best rate.
You have to beat the lowest rate on the SPG website which in your example is $225. If you find a prepaid rate on Expedia of $210, you make a FLEXIBLE reservation on the SPG website of $275 or $285 or whatever you want. When you submit your BRG, the BRG team will compare the lowest rate on SPG to the lowest rate on Expedia (not what is on your reservation). If approved, you will get a rate of $210 less 25%. Your FLEXIBLE reservation will be adjusted to your new price while the reservation stays flexible. Also SPG doesn't worry about trivial things like a king vs 2 double beds the way Marriott does (for which I had a LNF denied ).
remymartin likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
You don't get it. #4 is incorrect.

You have to beat the lowest rate on the SPG website which in your example is $225. If you find a prepaid rate on Expedia of $210, you make a FLEXIBLE reservation on the SPG website of $275 or $285 or whatever you want. When you submit your BRG, the BRG team will compare the lowest rate on SPG to the lowest rate on Expedia (not what is on your reservation). If approved, you will get a rate of $210 less 25%. Your FLEXIBLE reservation will be adjusted to your new price while the reservation stays flexible. Also SPG doesn't worry about trivial things like a king vs 2 double beds the way Marriott does (for which I had a LNF denied ).
Like I said, I get it. #4 is correct (see #2). It would only be incorrect if there were another rate lower than the SPG pre-paid rate. I am merely pointing out that if the lowest SPG rate is non-refundable, and if there is nothing on other sites lower than that, the BRG cannot be used, and those who need a flexible rate will not be able to use SPG's lowest rate.

Last edited by lexdevil; May 5, 2018 at 12:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.