Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toughest Hotel to get a Platinum Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2017, 3:00 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I’m lucky to have gotten upgrades for every single stay I’ve had as a Platinum, but I would be remiss to not point out the the Westin Abu Dhabi was exceptionally stingy to dole any form of upgrades out. I had a one-night stay last year to be away from the city and while the property itself is spacious and verdant [set on a golf course] and they make up for lack of a club lounge by having a two-hour Platinum hour at the lobby bar with snacks/drinks, suites were widely available during my stay and at check-in, we were proudly told that we got “upgraded” to a deluxe room on a higher floor. Although I knew about the wide suite availability, I didn’t want to poke further at it and instead asked about the possibility of a garden-access room [which are one category above the entry-level deluxe rooms]... and I was begrudgingly given one as if being done a massive favor.

Meh. I’ve since taken my business to the Le Royal Méridien and never looked back since.

khabah
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by Xu Guan
The following have always been a tough upgrade:

- Sheraton Grande Seattle (10 stays, never upgraded to anything beyond a Deluxe Room)
Same, along with the Westin Seattle. "We don't give free upgrades." O RLY?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:52 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Same, along with the Westin Seattle. "We don't give free upgrades." O RLY?
Not surprising:

Westin has 891 rooms, only 24 of which are suites.
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/westi...ropertyID=1055

Sheraton has 1240 rooms, only 22 of which are suites.
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/shera...propertyID=460

When a hotel has so few suites proportionally, you can be sure that the suites are likely occupied by paying or already upgraded guests, not to mention that there’s likely a high proportion most nights of Plat guests who therefore could never get a suite upgrade.

No one should be surprised that suite upgraded are so tough when there are so few suites and so many likely Plat guests.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Sheraton Miyako.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.