Toughest Hotel to get a Platinum Upgrade?

Old Nov 7, 17, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Toughest Hotel to get a Platinum Upgrade?

Provided these hotels aren't all suite properties (where they don't allow upgrades) or your room is eligible, what SPG properties are notoriously difficult to get a suite upgrade. I'm talking about a standard suite, not anything above and beyond. I have some that have proven very tough to get a suite upgrade:

W South Beach
Westin River North (Chicago)
W Union Square (NYC)
Old Nov 7, 17, 12:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Anywhere in New York really, but special mentions to the Sheraton Tribeca. Until I hit Plat Ambassador I'd never had a suite upgrade in the US (~100 stays as Platinum) so perhaps I'm not the best person to ask.
Old Nov 7, 17, 1:31 pm

Westin Pasadena. Over 15 stays as SPG 100. Never got a suite upgrade once.
Old Nov 7, 17, 3:15 pm

The easiest place to get an upgrade, in my experience, is the Los Angeles Westin Bonaventure.

Obviously, this doesn't respond to the question asked, but I mention it because it is the only place I can remember getting an upgrade in 1100+ nights. (Vague recollections of upgrade at a Sheraton in Taipei and/or a Sheraton in/near Nashville and at least a minor upgrade at Sheraton Waikiki.) This isn't entirely a reflection on SPG; I'm not a guy that seeks/asks for upgrades.
Old Nov 7, 17, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by schley View Post
W South Beach
In my 5 stays here I got consistently upgraded to a suite, bit maybe I've just stayed during quieter times?

On the other hand, I concur: never got an upgrade at either Sheraton Tribeca or We New York (Lex). At the latter, I never got anything better than a corner room, even when the hotel seems to be at low occupancy.
Old Nov 7, 17, 4:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RafKa View Post
At the latter, I never got anything better than a corner room, even when the hotel seems to be at low occupancy.
I believe I got a Cozy Room twice (once as Gold, once as Platinum) and then didn't care to try again!
Old Nov 7, 17, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
I believe I got a Cozy Room twice (once as Gold, once as Platinum) and then didn't care to try again!
I've managed to avoid the Cozy Room throughout the years, but I can see how it could put you off that property forever!
Old Nov 7, 17, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL: Diamond, AA: Executive Platinum, UA: Silver, Hyatt: Discoverist and Marriott: Ambassador
Le Meridien and Sheraton Charlotte - with a huge consultant population making up most of their weekday stays (Monday - Thursday) its very difficult to get an upgrade. I've gotten to know the staff very well and they stated that roughly 80-85% are either Ambassador/Platinum. So goodbye to any upgrades!!
Old Nov 7, 17, 9:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LDNConsultant View Post
Le Meridien and Sheraton Charlotte - with a huge consultant population making up most of their weekday stays (Monday - Thursday) its very difficult to get an upgrade. I've gotten to know the staff very well and they stated that roughly 80-85% are either Ambassador/Platinum. So goodbye to any upgrades!!
Same story with the Four Points Bentonville. They only have something like three suites and I was told by the staff that as a mere Platinum Ambassador who was only staying there for 80 or so days that I'd not get even close to the top
atxtraveler likes this.
Old Nov 7, 17, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by LDNConsultant View Post
Really? I had 1 stay at Le Meridien Charlotte and was upgraded to a suite as a regular Plat upgrade.

My stay was end of 2016 (right after Christmas) so that might have something to do with it.
Old Nov 8, 17, 2:09 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by RafKa View Post
In my 5 stays here I got consistently upgraded to a suite, bit maybe I've just stayed during quieter times?

On the other hand, I concur: never got an upgrade at either Sheraton Tribeca or We New York (Lex). At the latter, I never got anything better than a corner room, even when the hotel seems to be at low occupancy.
The only time I stayed at the W New York (Lex), they upgraded me to the E-WOW Suite, which was incredible with a massive patio. Couldn't complain!
Old Nov 8, 17, 2:20 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by myko85 View Post
I completely agree. Over the years, I've likely stayed there 25 times. The only time I received a suite was when I burned my SNA.
Old Nov 8, 17, 5:58 am

Programs: DL DM
PdG in Paris!
Old Nov 8, 17, 8:42 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by myko85 View Post
I’ve heard that. But do be aware that of its 350 total rooms, only 13 are junior suites (with another 4 specialty suites). Heck, there are only 27 executive rooms. So not surprising that suite upgrades are tougher to come by here with so few suites proportionally.

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/westi...ropertyID=1453
Old Nov 8, 17, 8:49 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
Anywhere in New York really, but special mentions to the Sheraton Tribeca. Until I hit Plat Ambassador I'd never had a suite upgrade in the US (~100 stays as Platinum) so perhaps I'm not the best person to ask.
Do note that the Sheraton Tribeca has a total of 369 rooms, only 24 of which are suites. With so few suites proportionally, no one should be surprised that most Plats don’t get upgraded.

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/shera...ropertyID=3052

I keep telling everyone that the more luxurious properties—which tend to have higher proportions of suites—are easier to get suite upgrades despite that seeming counterintuitive.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: