Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toughest Hotel to get a Platinum Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:44 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Well quite, but we're discussing difficult properties in this thread
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Funny, I've had a suite a couple of times at the W Lex. What an underwhelming experience.

Difficult suite upgrades:
Sheraton La Jolla (only through an SNA in like 40 stays). Lots of full timers there.
Sheraton Park Tower, London
Westin St. Francis
The Palace, SF
Westin Las Vegas (I think there may be extremely limited amounts)

Agree on the Bonaventure being consistently positive. I once got a mega suite that was like half the circumference of the building.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Score8
Agree on the Bonaventure being consistently positive. I once got a mega suite that was like half the circumference of the building.
...with the staircase? That sounds like the one they gave me on my birthday.

Has anyone been upgraded at the Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel/fka Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:41 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Has anyone been upgraded at the Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel/fka Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers?
Never. Despite multiple stays paying for 20+ rooms each time. Of course, with only 29 suites out of 1780 rooms, the numbers aren’t in anyone’s favor for upgrades there.

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/shera...propertyID=421
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The Chatwal NY. A gorgeous but small property.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Score8
Funny, I've had a suite a couple of times at the W Lex. What an underwhelming experience.

Difficult suite upgrades:
Sheraton La Jolla (only through an SNA in like 40 stays). Lots of full timers there.
Sheraton Park Tower, London
Westin St. Francis
The Palace, SF
Westin Las Vegas (I think there may be extremely limited amounts)
Westin St. Francis? I get a suite upgrade 1/2 to 2/3 of my stays there. Granted, most of them are on the weekend which may help.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Do note that the Sheraton Tribeca has a total of 369 rooms, only 24 of which are suites. With so few suites proportionally, no one should be surprised that most Plats don’t get upgraded.

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/shera...ropertyID=3052

I keep telling everyone that the more luxurious properties—which tend to have higher proportions of suites—are easier to get suite upgrades despite that seeming counterintuitive.
You're on to something with the suite:room ratio. I wouldn't call it a luxury property but the Sheraton Mesa Wrigleyville has 59 suites out of 180 rooms total.

I don't understand why the OP is focused on failure. There are long-established Plat success threads which get many posts. (Hint: Look for properties that aren't mentioned there!)
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by 3Cforme

I don't understand why the OP is focused on failure. There are long-established Plat success threads which get many posts. (Hint: Look for properties that aren't mentioned there!)
I guess just to irritate you.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:42 pm

Westin Las Vegas - not that they have any super upgrades here but I have stayed here probably 20 times and have never been upgraded and have always had my SNA's denied.....each and every time.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:47 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Bravada04
Westin Las Vegas - not that they have any super upgrades here but I have stayed here probably 20 times and have never been upgraded and have always had my SNA's denied.....each and every time.
With only 12 Executive Suites and 1 High-Roller Suite out of 826 rooms, no one should be surprised. You shouldn’t really ever expect a suite upgrade when the proportion of suites is that tiny.

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/westi...ropertyID=1448
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
In the mid-2000's I spent M-Th for ~2 years in that hotel, and was upgraded to a suite 5-10 times. The suites at the end with a park view are nice; I also had one or two upgrades to a mid-hallway suite with an office.

I met with the GM during that time and he mentioned that on an average night they had ~350 platinums in-house.
bhrubin and atxtraveler like this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For Monday through Thursday consulting stays, I've heard that the Westin Edina Galleria (suburban Minneapolis) is bad because they have a bunch of Ambassadors who stay every week for work. There's one suite (senior one bedroom, 1.5 baths with a dining table and about 1100 sq ft of space) on every floor, with a very special one on the top floor that's much more fun than the other club suite one floor down.

I've had bad luck at the Tokyo Westin, although I usually get a nice room with a sitting area on a high floor.

However, IMO part of the answer to the question is to point to properties that classify junior suites (usually just a larger room that might have a sitting area) as their standard suite category for upgrades. To me, a real suite has a separate bedroom separated from the parlor by some sort of door.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Nov 14, 2017 at 3:59 pm
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:42 am

I’m going to get myself burned and say this:

” any SPG hotel in the USA “

Joking aside, my own vote is for Sheraton Miyako Tokyo. Even for service recovery you won’t get a suite 😂
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I always struck out on suites at the W Seattle as a low-level Plat. Maybe 5-6 total stays over the course of a year. Usually got a nice room on the end of the floor with a Rainier view, so no real complaints.

I overheard the FDC telling another Plat that the hotel was over 60% Platinum that night with a pretty high rate of property regulars - people there every week. I'm sure I was about 100th in line for whatever suites they had.

My 4-5 Union Square visits over the years have always been a nice big room, but never a suite. I bounce between Gold and low-Plat so I never go in with any real upgrade expectations.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:27 pm

The following have always been a tough upgrade:

- Sheraton Grande Seattle (10 stays, never upgraded to anything beyond a Deluxe Room)
- SLS Las Vegas (They don't even like to upgrade your room and suites are always "sold out", even on the slow days
- Westin Las Vegas
- Anything Original Marriott Brand that We Can Now Stay At
- W Hong Kong
- Anything Aloft (Room upgrades are not part of the SPG program for Aloft or Element Hotels)
- Sheraton Austin at the Capital

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.