Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ah, Sheraton in the US

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Well, I've stayed at multiple Sheratons prior, and it is one of those properties Starwood seems to just have forgotten. Though every now and then one seems to be re-touched.
It is the Sheraton Bloomington.

Sacramento Grand looks nice but if you go into a room they are pretty old and shabby (stayed in a suite). In Sacramento the Hyatt has the nicest suites, though if you are into boutique The Citizen (Autograph) is good as well.

In terms of the lounge, it wasn't crowded nor were there many people. There was simply no lounge attendant. So if you start with a plateful of little cakes, and everybody takes 1 or 2, you will soon run out. When I was there I only saw 5 other people in the lounge. Given it has seating for 20 or more I wouldn't say it was crowded.

The thing that bothered me was the service, or lack thereof. Like they didn't care. Sort of like a cheap motel.
I'm surprised as this one is on my nice list.

Lounge food tends to have some creative choices at both happy hour and breakfast, but the veggies etc. on the center table can be depressing. [The cheese meat and bread option tends to run out quickly and isn't replaced. Sometimes the same is true of the interesting mini deserts.] There's often some nice wine being offered in the club lounge for a reasonable price, although happy hour wine in the lobby and restaurant can be better at half price per glass. The restaurant Lela has an award winning chef and has been having a series of chef's table and wine dinner events. [I know the hotel and restaurant well from the latter, including meeting the guy who founded the ownership/management group (and his wife, who was instrumental in organizing a very special wine dinner that I attended).]

BTW, this property started life as a Sofitel. It was completely renovated for the Sheraton flag, but the qualify F&B emphasis remains, as do a few surprising French touches. Due to this history, in many ways it's a unique USA Sheraton.

BTW, this place is so much better than the Sheratons at Minneapolis North Plymouth and Minneapolis Midtown, although close to Bloomington there's a nice Westin (with lounge) at Edina Galleria. Both are under the same ownership and the same GM who seems outstanding, with the Westin consistently winning best Westin service in the USA awards. Locals with hospitality career ambitions really want to work for this GM and sometimes willingly accept a title downgrade for the experience.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:56 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Well, I've stayed at multiple Sheratons prior, and it is one of those properties Starwood seems to just have forgotten. Though every now and then one seems to be re-touched.
It is the Sheraton Bloomington.

Sacramento Grand looks nice but if you go into a room they are pretty old and shabby (stayed in a suite). In Sacramento the Hyatt has the nicest suites, though if you are into boutique The Citizen (Autograph) is good as well.

In terms of the lounge, it wasn't crowded nor were there many people. There was simply no lounge attendant. So if you start with a plateful of little cakes, and everybody takes 1 or 2, you will soon run out. When I was there I only saw 5 other people in the lounge. Given it has seating for 20 or more I wouldn't say it was crowded.

The thing that bothered me was the service, or lack thereof. Like they didn't care. Sort of like a cheap motel.
Please don’t tell me people eat cakes as hors d’oevres, even in the US! I find this grabbing of food in lounges really sad, can people staying at these hotels not afford dinner!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Yeah, we who like proper food in a lounge to save costs are not as big spenders as you. You are lucky to be as rich as you think yourself to be.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:43 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
When the food runs out I call downstairs and ask them to refill it's not so difficult.
roberto99, RogerD408 and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
OP, the Sheraton in Bloomington (yes, MN) has gone through some major renovations. It previously was a Sofitel for decades.... and it has improved through the Sheraton renovations.
This property gets lots of corporate stays and their restaurant Lela is very good (for a Sheraton).
I stay at a lot of Sheratons - the rates are fairly moderate for my regular business travel, and I have stayed at this property many times (mattress runs).
It's not that bad of a Sheraton, in fact... it's better than your average Sheraton.

I agree w you though, that the Club Lounge service there has always been poor. Poor attitudes, food & drink that's highly picked over, and lack of attendants.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
The restaurant in the Sofitel was one of my favourites anywhere in MSP... Chez Colette. It was fantastic. I haven't been there since it became a Sheraton. Is Lela as good as the restaurant it replaced?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by heraclitus
The restaurant in the Sofitel was one of my favourites anywhere in MSP... Chez Colette. It was fantastic. I haven't been there since it became a Sheraton. Is Lela as good as the restaurant it replaced?
It's very different. One of my objections is that it doesn't have a consistent theme: crudo, pasta, and (grilled or more generally cooked, not butcher style sausage etc.) meat???? Is it local or Italian or seafood or steak or what? It's also quite informal and can be very noisy.

BTW, do you remember when the Sofitel had the informal French bistro as well as the more formal French fine dining restaurant?

I've also heard rumors that the place once had an indoor swimming down in the atrium, but I don't remember that at all. Do you?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:33 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by spgplat21
Good list, Phoenix Sheratons you mentioned are probably my favorites, also all the new build Sheratons I've stayed at have been excellent. But the two Philadelphia properties you mentioned were among the worst I've ever visited, so hopefully that means they've dine some extensive renovations in the last couple of years.
Sheraton Univ City Philly was undergoing its second public space and lobby renovation in almost a decade this past spring when I was there several times. See my review of 5 stays:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ittle-bad-1956

I agree that I wasn't as fond of the Sheraton Downtown Philly property, which is much larger and hosts many conventions and meetings. It's an older, tired building, for sure. That being said, the lobby area had been renovated a few years ago and was much more pleasant. The rooms were recently refreshed as well, though I've not seen those myself yet.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:39 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by fdem
Please don’t tell me people eat cakes as hors d’oevres, even in the US! I find this grabbing of food in lounges really sad, can people staying at these hotels not afford dinner!
I suspect most of those who eat meals in such hotel lounges are on business stays trying to minimize their own spending on their per diem. Or are families trying to squeeze as much value as they can from their stay. While that isn't me at all, I do not judge.

The same reasons for so many Americans eating so much fast food likely have parallels with so many business travelers and families eating meals in hotel lounges such as these.

I'm not fond of eating lounge food for the same reason I've never been fond of cafeteria food. Yet clearly there is a market for such food options, and Sheraton and Marriott, as well as some Westin and other upscale hotel brands, are all there to try as meet the needs of that market.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by fdem
Some hotel lounges with longer hours bring out the pastries late in the evening, so that those who had early dinners or have just arrived after a dinner flight can get some sweets. Others might take a pastry or two back to the room, to enjoy before bed.

IME many RC lounges have a late(r) evening service with pastry and after dinner drinks, where the five F&B services are designated as breakfast, light lunch, afternoon (high) tea, appetizers, and after dinner drinks.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's very different. One of my objections is that it doesn't have a consistent theme: crudo, pasta, and (grilled or more generally cooked, not butcher style sausage etc.) meat???? Is it local or Italian or seafood or steak or what? It's also quite informal and can be very noisy.

BTW, do you remember when the Sofitel had the informal French bistro as well as the more formal French fine dining restaurant?

I've also heard rumors that the place once had an indoor swimming down in the atrium, but I don't remember that at all. Do you?
I never actually stayed at the Sofitel... I used to stay at the Doubletree across the street (previously, coincidentally enough, the Sheraton). I just liked to wander over to Chez Colette for meals. Delicious.

I have a stay coming up in MSP but sadly I'll be closer to the airport and not close enough to try out the restaurant in the Sheraton for the purpose of comparing.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
Originally Posted by heraclitus
I have a stay coming up in MSP but sadly I'll be closer to the airport and not close enough to try out the restaurant in the Sheraton for the purpose of comparing.
The Sheraton Bloomington might only be 10 min away, it's really not that far away from the MSP airport hotels. ^
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:56 pm

Any thoughts on the Sheraton Universal Hotel?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Echo the positive words on the Sheraton Commander in Cambridge. Sheraton Puerto Rico was very nice before the storm. Sheraton New Orleans is totally solid and in a great location. Same for the Sheraton Seattle.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by travelista
The Sheraton Bloomington might only be 10 min away, it's really not that far away from the MSP airport hotels. ^
Sheraton Bloomington doesn't have an airport shuttle, but the distance is small enough that you might be able to get a shuttle driver to take you between the hotels for dinner, especially if the hotel uses a distance limit to define the shuttle service they are willing to provide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.