ah, Sheraton in the US

Old Oct 15, 17, 9:39 am
Original Poster

ah, Sheraton in the US

I had such high expectations. Your photos looked great. Your ratings were top-notch.

And then I arrived. At a drab exterior, though with a renovated and nice interior (practically instagram worthy). But then I waited in line. Behind 4 others. No elite service. 1 person checking in everybody in the middle of Saturday afternoon in an oversold hotel.

And then I went to the lounge, which starts serving hor d'voueres at 5pm. By 530pm there was no food left (not that there was much to begin with). Nor any lounge attendant to be seen.

Well, I had hopes maybe there were nice Sheratons in the US. Not just airport dumps already in need of renovation when Brittney was a household name.
Old Oct 15, 17, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Indeed, there are some nice USA Sheratons.
Old Oct 15, 17, 9:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
I'm not sure how a visit to one bad Sheraton demonstrates that all US Sheratons are bad.
bhrubin and Rd3 like this.
Old Oct 15, 17, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Indeed, there are some nice USA Sheratons.
Which?

There is also a nice Motel 6 by LAX airport. Are you saying Motel6 is a nice chain?
Old Oct 15, 17, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
I had such high expectations. Your photos looked great. Your ratings were top-notch.

And then I arrived. At a drab exterior, though with a renovated and nice interior (practically instagram worthy). But then I waited in line. Behind 4 others. No elite service. 1 person checking in everybody in the middle of Saturday afternoon in an oversold hotel.

And then I went to the lounge, which starts serving hor d'voueres at 5pm. By 530pm there was no food left (not that there was much to begin with). Nor any lounge attendant to be seen.

Well, I had hopes maybe there were nice Sheratons in the US. Not just airport dumps already in need of renovation when Brittney was a household name.
Fortunately SPG properties are not the same as a barrel of apples. One does not spoil them all. Marketing material will show off the best (maybe non-existent) features. If you don't go beyond what they put on their homepage and look at review sites (i.e. FT, Trip Advisor, Yelp, etc.), you can not be sure of what you will find.

If you'll name the property that you visited, others here may be able to tell you if you just caught them at a bad time or if what you saw was normal. I'm getting that drilled into me everyday here. It's been over a month after Irma swept past Ft Lauderdale but there's still plenty of cleanup to be done both for businesses and homes. It's easy to ding someone for not being top notch, but maybe just being open is miracle?
Old Oct 15, 17, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 2MM, SPG Plat75
Yes, there are a small handful of decent Sheratons in the US. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but what the OP experienced is pretty much your standard Sheraton experience...and why I avoid the brand.

Outside the US, on the other hand, is a completely different experience!
Old Oct 15, 17, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I have a pretty wry sense of humor and will use some sarcasm but it's good to see intellect behind it. The problem of using one observation and declaring it representative of a large group is something taught to children at age 11 in the U.S.
bhrubin and kyanar like this.
Old Oct 15, 17, 12:16 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Condition One View Post
what the OP experienced is pretty much your standard Sheraton experience
All I can say is that's not been my experience.
bhrubin, kyanar and controller1 like this.
Old Oct 15, 17, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*
"Leave Brittney aloooooooooooone!"
CMK10 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 17, 1:25 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

And then I arrived. At a drab exterior, though with a renovated and nice interior (practically instagram worthy).
So the interior looks great. Glad to hear it. Score 1 for this Sheraton.

For the record, the St Regis Princeville is a drab exterior, unable to be changed due to local restrictions. But the interiors are wonderful--also Instagram worthy. No one draws a line from that one St Regis to declare that all suck, however.

But then I waited in line. Behind 4 others. No elite service. 1 person checking in everybody in the middle of Saturday afternoon in an oversold hotel.

An oversold Sheraton.

Not surprisingly, there was a line. Go figure. I'm sure that's never happened at vastly superior Marriotts and Hiltons and InterContinentals when they are oversold. Or even not oversold. Oops, yeah it has happened, even to me.

Not surprisingly, the lounge was crowded and over-used. Go figure. I'm sure that's never happened at vastly superior Marriotts and Hiltons and InterContinentals when they are busy or oversold. Oops, yeah, it has happened the world over. Not to me, because I avoid lounges anyway.

No one should be surprised. This isn't about a Sheraton. It's about almost any over-sold hotel. I'd love to watch our esteemed OP see how long the check in line can be and how easy it can be to get a pool chair or find a pool attendant at the sold out FS Hualalai over the holidays. Same story.

I think confirmation bias comes to mind after a single stay at an oversold Sheraton and expecting a St Regis--and judging all Sheratons by the one. Not impressive analysis, I'm afraid.

I also find it entertaining that the very nice interior design got dismissed pretty quickly and somehow then turned into a dump.

There are many poor Sheratons in the USA--and Sheraton/Starwood/Marriott has been working pretty well on pushing those to refurbish, renovate, upgrade facilities, increase staff training, and/or leave the brand.

There also are many excellent Sheratons in the USA where I've stayed. The Hartford South. University City Philly. Downtown Philly ain't so bad, even if it's not my favorite. Charlotte Airport. Providence Airport. Commander Cambridge. Boston. TriBeCa NYC. Portsmouth New Hanpshire. WildPass Arizona. Phoenix Grand. Sacramento Grand. Even Times Square NYC, even if it isn't my cup of tea. Chicago Grand. Nashville Grand. Atlanta Midtown. Los Angeles Grand. Etc, etc.

Our OP needs perspective.
kyanar and steveholt like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Oct 15, 17 at 1:56 pm
Old Oct 15, 17, 7:17 pm

Can you tell us which property you stayed at, so the community can benefit from your experience?

-David
Old Oct 15, 17, 7:23 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
How can you let facts get in the way of a good rant?
bhrubin and roberto99 like this.
Old Oct 15, 17, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
Fortunately SPG properties are not the same as a barrel of apples. One does not spoil them all. Marketing material will show off the best (maybe non-existent) features. If you don't go beyond what they put on their homepage and look at review sites (i.e. FT, Trip Advisor, Yelp, etc.), you can not be sure of what you will find.

If you'll name the property that you visited, others here may be able to tell you if you just caught them at a bad time or if what you saw was normal. I'm getting that drilled into me everyday here. It's been over a month after Irma swept past Ft Lauderdale but there's still plenty of cleanup to be done both for businesses and homes. It's easy to ding someone for not being top notch, but maybe just being open is miracle?
Well, I've stayed at multiple Sheratons prior, and it is one of those properties Starwood seems to just have forgotten. Though every now and then one seems to be re-touched.
It is the Sheraton Bloomington.

So the interior looks great. Glad to hear it. Score 1 for this Sheraton.

For the record, the St Regis Princeville is a drab exterior, unable to be changed due to local restrictions. But the interiors are wonderful--also Instagram worthy. No one draws a line from that one St Regis to declare that all suck, however.

An oversold Sheraton.

Not surprisingly, there was a line. Go figure. I'm sure that's never happened at vastly superior Marriotts and Hiltons and InterContinentals when they are oversold. Or even not oversold. Oops, yeah it has happened, even to me.

Not surprisingly, the lounge was crowded and over-used. Go figure. I'm sure that's never happened at vastly superior Marriotts and Hiltons and InterContinentals when they are busy or oversold. Oops, yeah, it has happened the world over. Not to me, because I avoid lounges anyway.

No one should be surprised. This isn't about a Sheraton. It's about almost any over-sold hotel. I'd love to watch our esteemed OP see how long the check in line can be and how easy it can be to get a pool chair or find a pool attendant at the sold out FS Hualalai over the holidays. Same story.

I think confirmation bias comes to mind after a single stay at an oversold Sheraton and expecting a St Regis--and judging all Sheratons by the one. Not impressive analysis, I'm afraid.

I also find it entertaining that the very nice interior design got dismissed pretty quickly and somehow then turned into a dump.

There are many poor Sheratons in the USA--and Sheraton/Starwood/Marriott has been working pretty well on pushing those to refurbish, renovate, upgrade facilities, increase staff training, and/or leave the brand.

There also are many excellent Sheratons in the USA where I've stayed. The Hartford South. University City Philly. Downtown Philly ain't so bad, even if it's not my favorite. Charlotte Airport. Providence Airport. Commander Cambridge. Boston. TriBeCa NYC. Portsmouth New Hanpshire. WildPass Arizona. Phoenix Grand. Sacramento Grand. Even Times Square NYC, even if it isn't my cup of tea. Chicago Grand. Nashville Grand. Atlanta Midtown. Los Angeles Grand. Etc, etc.

Sacramento Grand looks nice but if you go into a room they are pretty old and shabby (stayed in a suite). In Sacramento the Hyatt has the nicest suites, though if you are into boutique The Citizen (Autograph) is good as well.

In terms of the lounge, it wasn't crowded nor were there many people. There was simply no lounge attendant. So if you start with a plateful of little cakes, and everybody takes 1 or 2, you will soon run out. When I was there I only saw 5 other people in the lounge. Given it has seating for 20 or more I wouldn't say it was crowded.

The thing that bothered me was the service, or lack thereof. Like they didn't care. Sort of like a cheap motel.
Old Oct 15, 17, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
When I first read 'Bloomington' I immediately thought of Indiana. But after doing a little research, I realized this must be in Minnesota.
Old Oct 15, 17, 11:12 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP

Good list, Phoenix Sheratons you mentioned are probably my favorites, also all the new build Sheratons I've stayed at have been excellent. But the two Philadelphia properties you mentioned were among the worst I've ever visited, so hopefully that means they've dine some extensive renovations in the last couple of years.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: