Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Man beating woman in Chinese hotel , compensation for disturbance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Man beating woman in Chinese hotel , compensation for disturbance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Do you think I am justified asking for money back for that night?
Eh, not particularly. If they had ignored your calls for help, then I'd change my opinion, but to me if you have a noise complaint and security responds, that should be the end of it. The hotel isn't "liable" (used loosely) until they know about it and ignore it.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: *wood Marriott P-life, *alliance UA MM, AA MM
I disagree with the FT mass jump on the OP and here's why.

The hotel's responsibility is to provide a safe quiet setting. I'm interpreting the OPs statement that an employee is already there (female or not) and so the hotel already knows about it and security should have been dispatched.

No different that if the raucous party is going on next door and security will not intervene. Sleep is lost.

Compensation is not to profit from the misfortune, but instead to let the hotel know that they are not running up to standards of guests, even if that disruption not beyond the pale in the culture.

Would FT members agree that the disruption is appropriate to write up in a negative review of the hotel?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:09 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Bystanders not intervening is common in China, their laws seem to discourage it

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tanders-ignore

Hence not a surprise that no help came for a while

I don't think you're entitled to a refund
I learned the reason for that. I drove back to my apt one evening, dropped off my Chinese wife (at the time,) and went to find a parking space. As I was walking toward the elevator lobby I saw a man and woman screaming at each other on the sidewalk. I don't speak Chinese, but walked up to them and told the man to leave the woman alone. He looked at me with a quizical look. I saw my wife laughing and asked her what was so funny. Seems the man was asking, loudy, for his wife to come back home and she was the aggressor, having hit him numerous times while I was parking, and wanting to leave.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by cyberjet

The hotel's responsibility is to provide a safe quiet setting. I'm interpreting the OPs statement that an employee is already there (female or not) and so the hotel already knows about it and security should have been dispatched.

No different that if the raucous party is going on next door and security will not intervene. Sleep is lost.

Compensation is not to profit from the misfortune, but instead to let the hotel know that they are not running up to standards of guests, even if that disruption not beyond the pale in the culture.

Would FT members agree that the disruption is appropriate to write up in a negative review of the hotel?
+1

Seriously, the hotel has a responsibility to maintain order and to maintain a quiet environment so that the other guests can get their rest.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
+1000

It's awful. And this "compensation culture" is really becoming entrenched across the entire travel industry.

How did we get to the point where so many of us travelers - when they experience anything less than perfection - go on to demand free gifts or special treatment or discounts or refunds in return. All regardless of whether the hotel/airline/whatever was actually at fault, and regardless of how seriously the traveler was truly impacted.

My absolute favorite: when flying YYC to LAS a few years ago, the airport was down to a single runway in the evening. There was a long line of planes waiting to take off, and we had to wait. We were late. The dingbat seated right behind me started ringing the call button. When the FA arrived, she expressed her anger at being inconvenienced and literally told him "I demand compensation". (Exact quote. I recall it well.) The poor FA eventually gave up trying to ration with her (ie it was all due to runway construction) and eventually gave in -- so she got free drinks and food. (Nobody else did. The delay didn't upset me as it was unavoidable. But both having to listen to this idiot and then hearing her get freebies both upset me. Hmmm. I should have demanded compensation too!)

Bump me from a flight, or walk me from a hotel reservation. Yep, that's a big problem. No running water in my hotel bathroom? Yep, compensate!

But noise from an altercation in a hallway???

Stuff happens, people. Suck it up and roll with it.
No water might not be the hotel's fault either, yet they sold a room that didn't have some basic standard services we expect in a hotel room.

Here's another example: If a potential customer damages a store's merchandise, normally that merchandise is later sold at a discount.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I know a hotel (SPG LM) that has a posted policy that if there's a noise complaint regarding your room that results in compensation, that compensation will be charged to you. In fact, I wonder whether this could be a profit center for the property, in that if they give compensation in kind (such as a comped meal or bottle of wine) would they charge the offending guest room service prices rather than the hotel's cost of providing the items? BTW, I don't know whether this hotel has ever enforced this policy on any noisy guests, but they do seem very serious about their no room parties rules, including limits on the number of guests that can be in a room at any time, in a property that might otherwise have party problems due to its style and location.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by Finkface
Why would you feel that the hotel should compensate you in any way? This was an event so far beyond their control and, unless it was an employee who did this, is so outside of any expected behaviour that I just don't get why you would think it is up to them to compensate you.
I think this is a little harsh. A Sheraton is a full service hotel and as such a certain level of service is paid for and expected. This hotel should have Security available 24 hours per day....There is NO WAY it should have taken 15 minutes for someone to arrive from the security team and put a stop to the abuse. I DO blame the hotel for that!
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Sorry about the FT post bashing committee OP.

I get where you're coming from. You didn't get what you paid for - a restful stay in a nice hotel. Instead you got a primate using a woman for a punching bag outside your room.

But as many have said, it was out of the hotel's control and they did eventually respond. So no comp.

And no, Asia is not America - where people actually do intervene and protect victims of violence much more often than not. You guys did a good thing and you should be proud of your daughter.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:56 am

I completely agree! Finally- some sanity!!^
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:15 am

If that is the desire (to let the hotel know that they are not running up to standards of guests), then there are certainly better ways to let your voice be heard and for it to also become of benefit to future guests. Some ways that immediately come to mind:

Speaking to the GM at the hotel 100% out of concern and for voicing your dissatisfaction with how the situation was handled in your opinion as a paying Guest. But not for compensation, and in fact, refusing any compensation offered.

Writing detailed reviews on TripAdvisor, Expedia, Hotels.com, Google, Yelp, etc

Writing to SPG Corporate and possibly to the Lurker and letting them know how this is not one expects a SPG labeled property to be run.

Writing an Email to GM and CC'ing SPG Corporate on it.

Taking the post-stay survey with your feedback.

Taking your future business elsewhere, altogether.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Catbert10
+1

Seriously, the hotel has a responsibility to maintain order and to maintain a quiet environment so that the other guests can get their rest.
I guess I should ask my city government to rebate some of my taxes every time a crime is committed???
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Collierkr
I guess I should ask my city government to rebate some of my taxes every time a crime is committed???
Of course not....But if your first responders are not able to respond in a reasonable amount of time, you should definitely be asking some questions of your city council as to where your money is going,
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
You should coordinate your travels with OP. Then it will be two parties requesting compensation and who knows you might get lucky
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by rbAA
I saw a man and woman screaming at each other on the sidewalk. I don't speak Chinese, but walked up to them and told the man to leave the woman alone. He looked at me with a quizical look.
Being brave and or foolish, (bravely foolish) doesn't sound like a good recipe to follow.

Unless they are people I know, I'm not getting involved with strangers.

Call 911 or similar help.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Perhaps you can post which hotel this is so I can head over and hope I get some entertainment also so I can ask for compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.