Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hotel trying to relocate me to smaller room mid-stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel trying to relocate me to smaller room mid-stay

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:05 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pinniped
Sounds like the OP didn't even have to negotiate to *get* the upgrade. Now he may have to negotiate to *keep* it, which is a serious failure on the part of the hotel.
That's what I meant.

IF I've been upgraded to a suite I call front desk to ask about extending my stay and if I may keep the same room. They generally agree to one night out of goodwill but I have never expected it.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
To put this in perspective you had a 21-night stay and get a (junior) suite upgrade for 17 of those nights. Not a bad deal.

If, in fact, the hotel lied about renovations then that is entirely unacceptable, but have you confirmed if they are not actually renovating?

I also wouldn't like to be given what I originally paid for after being told I could keep the upgrade. I would probably be more upset if it was a family holiday. But, when on business I am a bit more accommodating if the hotel runs into an such an issue, assuming it is not a fabricated issue.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
last week i had a one night stay as a property that i ended up extending by another 4 nights....i'm a regular here & i know this property has no suites....for the initial one night stay i was upgraded to one of their largest club level rooms....when i extended my stay i asked if i could stay in the same room & they happily obliged....i would have understood had they asked me to move rooms after that first day but if they let me stay in the same room & then a few days later asked me to move then i would have been annoyed....
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Extensions like that should always be done with the hotel directly. The travel agent can extend the rezzie; but only the hotel can extend a stay in a specific room.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by whimike
To put this in perspective you had a 21-night stay and get a (junior) suite upgrade for 17 of those nights. Not a bad deal.

If, in fact, the hotel lied about renovations then that is entirely unacceptable, but have you confirmed if they are not actually renovating?

I also wouldn't like to be given what I originally paid for after being told I could keep the upgrade. I would probably be more upset if it was a family holiday. But, when on business I am a bit more accommodating if the hotel runs into an such an issue, assuming it is not a fabricated issue.
It could be a case where the renovation was occurring elsewhere in the hotel and that was causing some musical-chairs to be played with the remaining rooms. Perhaps it was during that shuffle of rooms that they figured out they were short a junior suite with confirmed arrivals on the 3rd day of the OP's stay.

Underlying nugget of truth beneath the odd story delivered to the guest. (I'm feeling more charitable to the hotel today.) Perhaps a better delivery would have been a more genuine apology from the manager on the 2nd day of the stay, a meaningful offer of some extra bonus points, and an offer of assistance moving to the lesser room on the 3rd day - the day they actually needed to turn it over for the new guest.

Finding out when the key won't work, and being brushed off with a trivial offer of a free drink (or maybe 2), is absolutely not the way for the hotel to handle it.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Extensions like that should always be done with the hotel directly. The travel agent can extend the rezzie; but only the hotel can extend a stay in a specific room.
The hotel did extend the stay in that room. Does seem strange that the FDC couldn't extend the stay directly, given that the OP already had the corp booking with his contracted rate in the system. But I don't know how these systems work...maybe *all* bookings on this contract rate have to flow from the travel agent in question?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Hi all!

Entertaining discussion and feel that most of you understand that it wasn't necessarily the upgrade that matters, but the element of feeling lied to and simply being kicked out of a room without any real explanation, on top of that, my card being blocked being the method of me finding out wasn't ideal, adding on top of that the $25 coupon...

Anyways - went for bfast and came back to find a note that I can stay for the full duration!
I went to see the FD agent and his supervisor later today and thanked them for their flexibility. On top of that they will try to get me in the same room when I come back the week after for my next stay (which I said was completely not necessary).

++ to the Westin Cape Town for making up for the troubles.
YMMV -> mine went far enough...
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by whimike

Will be getting a 21 night upgrade! And maybe more ... Agree to be accommodating, though one is more acommodating when one receives a friendly ask and explanation that they made a mistake rather than the renovations - still not sure if those are real (someone was being checked into my floor right when I had the discussion yesterday... - funny enough that guest asked "but isn't that floor under renovation, I just heard it")
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no discussion of luggage??

managers are the decision makers and should be best informed
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Nice. Glad it worked out!
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by mayhem
good to hear....i'm staying here for 3 nights next month....hoping for a nice upgrade....
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by mayhem
Hi all!

Entertaining discussion and feel that most of you understand that it wasn't necessarily the upgrade that matters, but the element of feeling lied to and simply being kicked out of a room without any real explanation, on top of that, my card being blocked being the method of me finding out wasn't ideal, adding on top of that the $25 coupon...

Anyways - went for bfast and came back to find a note that I can stay for the full duration!
I went to see the FD agent and his supervisor later today and thanked them for their flexibility. On top of that they will try to get me in the same room when I come back the week after for my next stay (which I said was completely not necessary).

YMMV -> mine went far enough...
So much for the "story" about that floor being under "renovation"...

Cheers,
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Flews
So much for the "story" about that floor being under "renovation"...
Maybe they just work really quickly...
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

most renovations are not that serious, and include "soft" renovations

but that doesnt address what the situation really is in this case

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.