Wiki Posts
Search

Complaint against Westin SFO

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I wasn't there, but based on the "Reader's Digest Condensed Version", this sounds like a severe overreaction.

Maybe because they weren't trying to use the Business Center? That seems to me to be a completely reasonable question of anyone using the Business Center. And there most definitely are non-guests who want to print out the free boarding passes. People won't make a special trip to do so, but non-guests do end up at hotels for various reasons - eating, drinking, conferences, meetings, ...
I wouldn't be bothered if the FDC hadn't lied about his reason for asking me. The manager later confirmed that there isn't a policy against non-guests using the business center.

Further, compounded by stating that people make special trips to use the business center. Falsehood number 2.

If the hotel had a policy that only guests could use the business center, then him asking me would be 110% appropriate, and I would have long forgotten it. However, the hotel does NOT have that policy, thus my concern.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by controller1
You haven't addressed why you believe this to be racial profiling? Are you saying because the FDC lied, then it must be racial profiling?
Must be racially profiling? Absolutely not. Worth inquiring about? Yes.

Consider. Say you are buying an item at a department store. You use a credit card. You are asked to show ID. The customers (of a different ethnicity) before you were not asked for ID. You ask why. There are numerous good answers. Your total was higher than theirs, the machine asked for ID, the others were well known to the clerk, etc.. All likely and good answers.

If however, the salesperson lies, say he or she claims that they ask for ID from everyone, and that turns about to be untrue, (Particularly if that salesperson actually doesn't) then further inquiry is appropriate.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Update

The manager reached out to me a second time. He explained to me that the FDC clerk (whom I failed to remember his name) had been the subject of numerous guest complaints. He opined that somewhere the FDC has never "gotten" customer service. I accept that explanation.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by clarkef
He stated that the business center was only for registered guests and that the hotel had a major problem with nonguests using the business center.
That does sound like nonsense.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Update

The manager reached out to me a second time. He explained to me that the FDC clerk (whom I failed to remember his name) had been the subject of numerous guest complaints. He opined that somewhere the FDC has never "gotten" customer service. I accept that explanation.
So not racial profiling, just substandard customer service. File closed. Nothing to see here, folks.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

No. All we know is that the manager confirmed a problem employee. We don't know what his problem is. I don't expect the manager to confirm an instance of racial bias.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
No. All we know is that the manager confirmed a problem employee. We don't know what his problem is. I don't expect the manager to confirm an instance of racial bias.
If the FDC has "never gotten customer service," it sounds like a broader problem than skin color.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What does this have to do with racial profiling?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:09 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What does this have to do with racial profiling?
Doesn't seem to be a specific property issue. Perhaps just an issue with a specific FDC which seems to have been resolved or addressed as the OP has posted.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It would of course help to have the details surrounding the supposition that the - perfectly legitimate in my opinion - question was racially motivated.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
It sounds like a problem employee, lack of training, or both. I don't know if the question was racially motivated, but if in fact there is no official policy, then this employee was overstepping their power and the op deserves an apology from the hotel and spg.
It is disturbing how many on this forum jump at every opportunity to defend hotels, like they possibly cannot ever make mistakes or mistreat customers. I am genuinely happy for all those folks for only having fantastic experiences but ultimately if you truly stay in hotels often you are bound to have a stay that will leave a bad taste in your mouth. Hopefully not literally!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:34 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Mrtravel28
It sounds like a problem employee, lack of training, or both. I don't know if the question was racially motivated, but if in fact there is no official policy, then this employee was overstepping their power and the op deserves an apology from the hotel and spg.
Well, this is what the OP came back and stated:
Update

So it seems that he had a conversation with the hotel and he accepts the explanation. Sounds like from the OPs perspective, the issue is closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.