Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott may reduce U.S. Sheraton Footprint

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Vistana Chairman
Originally Posted by Mrtravel28
I think the real problem are the franchisees. Whenever there is a sheraton I may have issues in, it is 99% of the time one not corporate operated.
That would not be hard to believe since there are only ten corporate-owned or leased Sheraton hotels.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
One thing I always appreciated with Sheraton toiletries that was was unique in it's class was the little yellow shower sponge. I haven't seen those lately though. I wish they'd bring them back (and expand the concept to other brands).
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:31 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by jimrpa
One thing I always appreciated with Sheraton toiletries that was was unique in it's class was the little yellow shower sponge. I haven't seen those lately though. I wish they'd bring them back (and expand the concept to other brands).
In Europe they are still very much present.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by jimrpa
While the Sheraton I've been staying at is mostly a dump (and I'd stay elsewhere but for trying to make sure I get to 100 nights this year), they do have the shower sponge as standard in all rooms. W's have something similar by request, and I have also seen them at some Westins (the Westin Phoenix Downtown comes to mind).
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I agree.

As for the West Des Moines Sheraton, my guess is that the decision to refurbish/renovate was made before Marriott had a say, probably due to the Starwood Sheraton 2020 plan or even possibly earlier.

Though I imagine the Marriott takeover and more aggressive ability for Marriott to put pressure on owners is going to be helpful. Having so many hotels in proximity in many markets also means there is added pressure to refurbish and renovate.
Good points.

For loyal SPG members, the West Des Moines Sheraton was the "only game in town" anywhere in the Des Moines area.

With SPG and Marriott Rewards being merged, members also have 17 Marriott Rewards properties in Des Moines, West Des Moines, and nearby.

This includes two full-service Marriotts (Downtown Des Moines and West Des Moines), and the historic Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel (currently closed for a massive renovation).

AC Hotels, Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn, SpringHill Suites, and TownePlace Suites are also represented.

Element West Des Moines is scheduled to open June 6, 2017.

Yes, there was "added pressure to refurbish and renovate" for the West Des Moines Sheraton.

Last edited by Horace; Mar 22, 2017 at 2:00 pm
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mrtravel28
I think the real problem are the franchisees. Whenever there is a sheraton I may have issues in, it is 99% of the time one not corporate operated. I think SPG/Marriott should tighten their grip on franchisees or do more often checkups on them. These operators interpret rules their ways, they don't provide appropriate training for their staff and skimp on services, which all results in the uneven experience across the brand. When you are running a brand that is a real problem.

In hospitality that should be relatively easy to achieve
biggest chains mostly franchise, marriott/starwood want more
flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news/1535972-hospitality-magazine-do-we-have-too-many-sub-brands-hotel-group.html#post22529911

service is not easy (actually hardest) to achieve

some well/best regarded are franchises with good management companies/owners

owners vary dramatically, whether they invest in manager and upkeep

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 22, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have stayed at some pretty bad Sheratons so I can make status with SPG. Sheraton Annapolis, for example, was terrible. It converted to a CP and got all new beds....but closed the lounge.

The one I stayed probably 80 nights in last year wasn't great - biggest problem was the lounge. It has actually drastically improved in the last few months!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.