Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Till Dec 31, 2016, you’ll save *up to* 50% on purchases of 5,000 Starpoints or more.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
YOU COULD SAVE UP TO 50% ON STARPOINTS — OUR HIGHEST DISCOUNT EVER.
Top off your account and redeem for Free Night Awards, SPG MomentsSM, and more. Or, give Starpoints® as a gift. Remember, you can add up to 30,000 Starpoints to your account in a calendar year. Buy now and see what you'll save.

Need extra Starpoints® for a free night, free flight or room upgrade? Now, you can buy 500 Starpoints for as little as $17.50 USD. Add up to 30,000 Starpoints to your account!

Buy Starpoints® for yourself or as a gift, now through December 31, 2016, and get up to 50% off the regular price. Minimum purchase of 5,000 Starpoints required. Click through now to discover your special offer

Starpoint Purchase for You - FAQs
  • How do I purchase Starwood Preferred Guest® StarpointsSM?
  • How much do Starpoints cost? Is there tax?
  • Are Starpoints refundable?
  • Will the Starpoints I buy expire?
  • May I buy Starpoints via the telephone or through hotels directly?
  • How many Starpoints may I buy for myself?
  • May I buy more than 30,000 Starpoints per year?
  • How long will it take for Starpoints to be posted to my account?
  • Is it possible to post Starpoints to my account any faster than the standard 24-hour period?
  • How can I enroll in Starwood Preferred Guest?
  • Do the Starpoints I purchase help me qualify for Gold or Platinum status?
  • Which credit cards may I use to purchase Starpoints?
  • How do I obtain a Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express?
  • After I have purchased my Starpoints, how can I verify that they have been credited to my account?
  • Is my order secure?
  • Is the personal information I provide through this purchase confidential?
  • Where could I find more information regarding the Starwood Preferred Guest program and ways one can use Starpoints?
  • Where could I find more information regarding the terms and conditions of the Starwood Preferred Guest program?

How do I purchase Starwood Preferred Guest® StarpointsSM?
To buy Starpoints for your Starwood Preferred Guest account, you must enter your account number at time of purchase. The recipient of a Starpoint purchase must be a member of Starwood Preferred Guest for a minimum of fourteen days before being able to purchase Starpoints for himself/herself. Your order can be charged to a valid Visa®, MasterCard, Discover, Diners Club, JCB or American Express credit card. Members may purchase a minimum of 500 Starpoints and then in any increment of 500. Purchased Starpoints are applicable for all Starpoint awards. A maximum of 30,000 Starpoints may be purchased or received as a gift into your account per calendar year. Please allow 24 hours for your account to be updated. Starpoints can only be purchased via the Internet, and are not refundable or exchangeable. All Starpoint usage is subject to the general terms and conditions of the Starwood Preferred Guest program, which are subject to change without notice. Full terms and conditions of the Starwood Preferred Guest® program are found here.

How much do Starpoints cost? Is there tax?
Starpoints cost US $.035 per point. There is no tax on the purchase. Starpoints are not refundable.

Are Starpoints refundable?
Starpoints are not refundable. All purchases are final.

Will the Starpoints I buy expire?
Starpoints deposited into your account will not expire as long as you are considered an "Active Member". You will remain an "Active Member", so long as you have earned Starpoints as a result of activities at participating Starwood Properties during the previous twelve months. In the event you do not remain an Active Member, your membership account will be closed and all Starpoints forfeited. All Starpoint usage is subject to the general terms and conditions of the Starwood Preferred Guest program, which are subject to change without notice. Full terms and conditions of the Starwood Preferred Guest® program are found here.

May I buy Starpoints via the telephone or through hotels directly?
Starpoints may only be purchased online at spg.com/starpointpurchase.

How many Starpoints may I buy for myself?
Your account may receive up to a maximum of 30,000 Starpoints per account per calendar year, whether purchased by yourself or received as a gift from another member. However, you may purchase as a gift for other accounts, as many Starpoints as desired.

May I buy more than 30,000 Starpoints per year?
Your account may receive up to a maximum of 30,000 Starpoints per account per calendar year, whether purchased by yourself or received as a gift from another member. However, you may purchase as a gift for other accounts, as many Starpoints as desired. Each gift recipient can receive up to 30,000 Starpoints per calendar year.

How long will it take for Starpoints to be posted to my account?
Starpoints will be credited within 24 hours of your purchase.

Is it possible to post Starpoints to my account any faster than the standard 24-hour period?
Deposits require a 24-hour posting period. We are not able to expedite posting of Starpoints to your Starwood Preferred Guest account.

How can I enroll in Starwood Preferred Guest?
Click here to go directly to the member enrollment form. It is free to join. You will receive a Starwood Preferred Guest account number and temporary membership card immediately after submitting the enrollment form. However, the recipient of a Starpoint gift must be a member of Starwood Preferred Guest for a minimum of fourteen days before being able to receive Starpoints.

Do the Starpoints I purchase help me qualify for Gold or Platinum status?
No. Starpoints you purchase do not count toward Gold or Platinum status.

Which credit cards may I use to purchase Starpoints?
You may use any valid American Express, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, JCB or Diners Club card. If you use the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express to purchase Starpoints, you will earn additional Starpoints for the dollars you charge on the card.

How do I obtain a Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express?
Simply click here. You will receive one Starpoint for every eligible dollar you spend using the Card. You can use Starpoints for free nights, free flights, and more.

After I have purchased my Starpoints, how can I verify that they have been credited to my account?
Approximately 24 hours after you have purchased your Starpoints, you can check your Starpoint balance at www.spg.com

Is my order secure?
Protecting your order is a priority. Starwood Preferred Guest makes every effort to protect your online order information by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology. SSL encrypts your order information to avoid the decoding of that information by anyone other than Starwood. To check the security of your connection, look at the lower right-hand corner of your browser window after accessing the server. If you see an unbroken key or a closed lock (depending upon your browser), then SSL is active.

Is the personal information I provide through this purchase confidential?
Yes. We strongly believe in the preservation of your privacy and as such do not reveal your name, address, e-mail or any other personal information to any third party. For issues regarding privacy, please refer to the Starwood Privacy Policy.

Where could I find more information regarding the Starwood Preferred Guest program and ways one can use Starpoints?
Information regarding the Starwood Preferred Guest program and how Starpoints may be used is available at www.spg.com.

Where could I find more information regarding the terms and conditions of the Starwood Preferred Guest program?
Information regarding the Starwood Preferred Guest program terms and conditions may be found at www.spg.com.
Print Wikipost

Till Dec 31, 2016, you’ll save *up to* 50% on purchases of 5,000 Starpoints or more.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Tpa-flyer
My offer was 50%. Hubby's was 25%. I'm going to purchase 30K for me and also 30k for him. Am presently aiming for the 4k spend on CSR so will use that cc for this purchase. We'll pass on hubby's offer.
So you can buy AND give 30K points for a total of 60K points? I missed that nuance!
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by margarita girl
So you can buy AND give 30K points for a total of 60K points? I missed that nuance!
It's my understanding that you can give an infinite amount of points, but only 30K to any one individual.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21
It's my understanding that you can give an infinite amount of points, but only 30K to any one individual.
To clarify...

Per T&C and wiki: Your account may receive up to a maximum of 30,000 Starpoints per account per calendar year, whether purchased by yourself or received as a gift from another member
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:55 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
I was offered 50%. I have not checked my wife's account yet, but even at 50% off I am not sure if I will buy or not.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
PLT 100 - offered 35%.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Offered 30%. Would have bought at 50% but 30% is still too high.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP / Marriott AMB & LT Titanium
Originally Posted by controller1
Offered 30%. Would have bought at 50% but 30% is still too high.
Ditto here
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
I got the 50% bonus but don't have any interest in topping off my account. The two other people in my household both got 25%.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA, Alaska, Hilton, Marriott
Wow. I checked in yesterday and I had the 50% offer. Checked just now - 35%.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:15 am

The 50% offer must be very rare or they only target those with a decent amount of transactions, I tried opening 20 accounts and the highest offer I got was 35%.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: SPG Plat50
Plat 50
35 nights so far this year
25%
No thanks
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by giesen5
Wow. I checked in yesterday and I had the 50% offer. Checked just now - 35%.
Are you sure you had 50%? After the first sign in, you are told "up to 50%" discount. It's only upon the second sign in that you see your actual offer. I've had a number of friends who thought they got 50% only to realize they really had 25%.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Only 35% for Mrs. B & me. Meh. I gotta say I respect the competition in this regard where discounts are generally offered to all buyers. Why not? Point sales are gravy (in fact they keep airlines afloat).
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
at $0.035 per Starpoint, it would cost $350 to get enough to stay at a Category 4 hotel. How is that a good deal?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL-PM, TK-Elite, AA-lifetime gold, SPG-Plat
2 days ago when I logged in I was confirmed to have received the 50% discount, didnt purchase at that time because I didnt have the credit card that I wanted to use with me. After logging in It clearly said "Now through December 31, 2016, you’ll save 50% on purchases of 5,000 Starpoints or more".
Today I logged in to make the purchase and it now says 25%.

Ridiculous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.