Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Till Dec 31, 2016, you値l save *up to* 50% on purchases of 5,000 Starpoints or more.

Till Dec 31, 2016, you値l save *up to* 50% on purchases of 5,000 Starpoints or more.

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 1, 16, 3:51 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: KENNECTED
Wiki Link
YOU COULD SAVE UP TO 50% ON STARPOINTS OUR HIGHEST DISCOUNT EVER.
Top off your account and redeem for Free Night Awards, SPG MomentsSM, and more. Or, give Starpointsョ as a gift. Remember, you can add up to 30,000 Starpoints to your account in a calendar year. Buy now and see what you'll save.

Need extra Starpointsョ for a free night, free flight or room upgrade? Now, you can buy 500 Starpoints for as little as $17.50 USD. Add up to 30,000 Starpoints to your account!

Buy Starpointsョ for yourself or as a gift, now through December 31, 2016, and get up to 50% off the regular price. Minimum purchase of 5,000 Starpoints required. Click through now to discover your special offer

Starpoint Purchase for You - FAQs
  • How do I purchase Starwood Preferred Guestョ StarpointsSM?
  • How much do Starpoints cost? Is there tax?
  • Are Starpoints refundable?
  • Will the Starpoints I buy expire?
  • May I buy Starpoints via the telephone or through hotels directly?
  • How many Starpoints may I buy for myself?
  • May I buy more than 30,000 Starpoints per year?
  • How long will it take for Starpoints to be posted to my account?
  • Is it possible to post Starpoints to my account any faster than the standard 24-hour period?
  • How can I enroll in Starwood Preferred Guest?
  • Do the Starpoints I purchase help me qualify for Gold or Platinum status?
  • Which credit cards may I use to purchase Starpoints?
  • How do I obtain a Starwood Preferred Guestョ Credit Card from American Express?
  • After I have purchased my Starpoints, how can I verify that they have been credited to my account?
  • Is my order secure?
  • Is the personal information I provide through this purchase confidential?
  • Where could I find more information regarding the Starwood Preferred Guest program and ways one can use Starpoints?
  • Where could I find more information regarding the terms and conditions of the Starwood Preferred Guest program?

How do I purchase Starwood Preferred Guestョ StarpointsSM?
To buy Starpoints for your Starwood Preferred Guest account, you must enter your account number at time of purchase. The recipient of a Starpoint purchase must be a member of Starwood Preferred Guest for a minimum of fourteen days before being able to purchase Starpoints for himself/herself. Your order can be charged to a valid Visaョ, MasterCard, Discover, Diners Club, JCB or American Express credit card. Members may purchase a minimum of 500 Starpoints and then in any increment of 500. Purchased Starpoints are applicable for all Starpoint awards. A maximum of 30,000 Starpoints may be purchased or received as a gift into your account per calendar year. Please allow 24 hours for your account to be updated. Starpoints can only be purchased via the Internet, and are not refundable or exchangeable. All Starpoint usage is subject to the general terms and conditions of the Starwood Preferred Guest program, which are subject to change without notice. Full terms and conditions of the Starwood Preferred Guestョ program are found here.

How much do Starpoints cost? Is there tax?
Starpoints cost US $.035 per point. There is no tax on the purchase. Starpoints are not refundable.

Are Starpoints refundable?
Starpoints are not refundable. All purchases are final.

Will the Starpoints I buy expire?
Starpoints deposited into your account will not expire as long as you are considered an "Active Member". You will remain an "Active Member", so long as you have earned Starpoints as a result of activities at participating Starwood Properties during the previous twelve months. In the event you do not remain an Active Member, your membership account will be closed and all Starpoints forfeited. All Starpoint usage is subject to the general terms and conditions of the Starwood Preferred Guest program, which are subject to change without notice. Full terms and conditions of the Starwood Preferred Guestョ program are found here.

May I buy Starpoints via the telephone or through hotels directly?
Starpoints may only be purchased online at spg.com/starpointpurchase.

How many Starpoints may I buy for myself?
Your account may receive up to a maximum of 30,000 Starpoints per account per calendar year, whether purchased by yourself or received as a gift from another member. However, you may purchase as a gift for other accounts, as many Starpoints as desired.

May I buy more than 30,000 Starpoints per year?
Your account may receive up to a maximum of 30,000 Starpoints per account per calendar year, whether purchased by yourself or received as a gift from another member. However, you may purchase as a gift for other accounts, as many Starpoints as desired. Each gift recipient can receive up to 30,000 Starpoints per calendar year.

How long will it take for Starpoints to be posted to my account?
Starpoints will be credited within 24 hours of your purchase.

Is it possible to post Starpoints to my account any faster than the standard 24-hour period?
Deposits require a 24-hour posting period. We are not able to expedite posting of Starpoints to your Starwood Preferred Guest account.

How can I enroll in Starwood Preferred Guest?
Click here to go directly to the member enrollment form. It is free to join. You will receive a Starwood Preferred Guest account number and temporary membership card immediately after submitting the enrollment form. However, the recipient of a Starpoint gift must be a member of Starwood Preferred Guest for a minimum of fourteen days before being able to receive Starpoints.

Do the Starpoints I purchase help me qualify for Gold or Platinum status?
No. Starpoints you purchase do not count toward Gold or Platinum status.

Which credit cards may I use to purchase Starpoints?
You may use any valid American Express, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, JCB or Diners Club card. If you use the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express to purchase Starpoints, you will earn additional Starpoints for the dollars you charge on the card.

How do I obtain a Starwood Preferred Guestョ Credit Card from American Express?
Simply click here. You will receive one Starpoint for every eligible dollar you spend using the Card. You can use Starpoints for free nights, free flights, and more.

After I have purchased my Starpoints, how can I verify that they have been credited to my account?
Approximately 24 hours after you have purchased your Starpoints, you can check your Starpoint balance at www.spg.com

Is my order secure?
Protecting your order is a priority. Starwood Preferred Guest makes every effort to protect your online order information by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology. SSL encrypts your order information to avoid the decoding of that information by anyone other than Starwood. To check the security of your connection, look at the lower right-hand corner of your browser window after accessing the server. If you see an unbroken key or a closed lock (depending upon your browser), then SSL is active.

Is the personal information I provide through this purchase confidential?
Yes. We strongly believe in the preservation of your privacy and as such do not reveal your name, address, e-mail or any other personal information to any third party. For issues regarding privacy, please refer to the Starwood Privacy Policy.

Where could I find more information regarding the Starwood Preferred Guest program and ways one can use Starpoints?
Information regarding the Starwood Preferred Guest program and how Starpoints may be used is available at www.spg.com.

Where could I find more information regarding the terms and conditions of the Starwood Preferred Guest program?
Information regarding the Starwood Preferred Guest program terms and conditions may be found at www.spg.com.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 1, 16, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: JL Sapphire | Marriott LT Silver | GE / TSA-Pre
Post Till Dec 31, 2016, you値l save *up to* 50% on purchases of 5,000 Starpoints or more.

Covered by a few blogs, I got a 50% discount.
Old Nov 1, 16, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Actually should be up to 50%, YMMV. Just checked I got a whopping 25% discount!

Last edited by tomwhom; Nov 1, 16 at 11:52 am
Old Nov 1, 16, 11:13 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
No it goes via points.com which means only 1x which means use the SPG card
Old Nov 1, 16, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Could be an interesting opportunity for manufacturing spend and/or helping out fellow Flyertalkers.

If you got the 50% promo, presumably that applies for gifting to others and you could repeat that as often as you like?

I'd rather have somebody buy points for me at a 50% discount instead of me buying them myself at my own lower discount. Unfortunately I'm maxed out at 30K from earlier in the year though...
Old Nov 1, 16, 11:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Well, I just tried the link in the promotional email, and, after completing my name, email and SPG number, it says

"Sorry, purchasing Starpoints is not available at this time"

PS I changed the threat title to add "up to".
Old Nov 1, 16, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
Well, I just tried the link in the promotional email, and, after completing my name, email and SPG number, it says

Thank you I felt much better now
Old Nov 1, 16, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred

I just received the promotion email and it says, "Save up to 50% on Starpoints". The edit was a good change. ^
Old Nov 1, 16, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel View Post
No it goes via points.com which means only 1x which means use the SPG card
Correct just used my SPG card bought 14K for Marriott travel package to take advantage of 25% hotel transfer to UA bonus promotion ending November 30. Buying Starpoints via points.com means Chase CSR won't categorize it as travel either. Last week bought UA miles via CSR and got 3x Chase points since it's directly from UA.
Old Nov 1, 16, 1:27 pm

Programs: Trying my best to love Le Club Accor (Gold)
I got 35% discount....not good enough. not in a rush to top up my points anyway
Old Nov 1, 16, 2:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Skywards Platinum
I would've bought instantly at 50%. But I got 35% so no go for me.
Old Nov 1, 16, 3:12 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Had my whole family check, and luckily my dad got the 50% bonus. Everyone else was either 30 or 35%.
Old Nov 1, 16, 3:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...

Just managed to figure this out and translate this error message from 'poor-software-speak'. It actually means "you have already purchased the maximum number of Starpoints into your account for this year".

I got 30% when gifting.
Old Nov 1, 16, 3:49 pm

Programs: SK EBg/baEC G/MR P/A3 *G/CC G/HH D/IHG Spire
Just managed to figure this out and translate this error message from 'poor-software-speak'. It actually means "you have already purchased the maximum number of Starpoints into your account for this year".

I got 30% when gifting.
Had to check too about gifting but alas no luck! 35% there too zero luck on SPG promos this year
Luckily the year is allmost over 😃
Old Nov 1, 16, 3:56 pm

Received the 50% bonus.

Won't use it for myself but happy to help a fellow FT...PM me.
Old Nov 1, 16, 5:03 pm
jln

Programs: AMEX Cent, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
Got 50% too.

In terms of sharing my SPG # so others can benefit too, are there any security issues with doing so?

Last edited by jln; Nov 1, 16 at 5:38 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: