Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

At 1 SPG = 3 MR, what are the arbitrage opportunities?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

At 1 SPG = 3 MR, what are the arbitrage opportunities?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:44 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
For me the travel packages are where it's at. I bought two 7 night travel packages (cat 1-5) for 540,000 MR pts (180,000 SPG) and received 264,000 UA miles Plus two rooms for seven nights at any cat 1-5 marriott.

That's a transfer rate of 1:1.46 SPG to UA plus i have the free hotel nights. Great deal for me as I live in the midwest and United provides me some great travel options.
With regards to the UA miles, I can redeem it on Star alliance and partner airline as well?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by shevboyz
With regards to the UA miles, I can redeem it on Star alliance and partner airline as well?
That's the best use of UA miles - redeeming on airlines other than UA
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VeryHumerus
debating whether to transfer the 120k to alaska or american.. any thoughts on which would be a better option for couples traveling in J or F plus best bang for the buck?
Depends if you have a specific routing in mind...DL also has a much more variable award chart (for flights on DL metal), which usually is less ideal. But DL is also a higher quality airline than AA at the moment.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
That's the best use of UA miles - redeeming on airlines other than UA
LMAO...Oh man.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
Hotel Cert

For the hotel part of the certificate, does it have to be used all at once, or can it split into 2 stays to 2 different same category hotels, e.g. 4 days at X, 3 days at Y
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Need
Because for people like me who earn all the reward from credit card spent, now I could earn from SPG Amex and transfers 1 to 3 to use Travel Package for close to $1 to 1.5 miles with 7 nights of free hotel on everyday non category purchases. How many credit card will let you get 1.5 airline miles/$ with free hotel stays before the merge? None that I know of.

Last year I spent 100K on RC card but it was not enough points to buy one travel package. This year I am definitely switching to SPG Amex...and get me 300K MR points for the packages. I will lost Plat for 2018 but who knows what will happen to the programs in 2018 anyway.
I think the travel package is a great motivator for members to earn and save points. Remember, MR members receive at least 5-10 points per $ spent, not counting elite status. SPG members receive 2 SPG points = 6 MR points per $ spent. So, the shocking math is not so bad for them.

The credit card spending is a huge arbitrage opportunity. One has to be foolish to use the MR Visa on anything other than Marriott stays or airline (since it comes with great benefits). So, SPG AMEX is definitely the way to go on other spending. I wonder how long it will take before they change that.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Depends if you have a specific routing in mind...DL also has a much more variable award chart (for flights on DL metal), which usually is less ideal. But DL is also a higher quality airline than AA at the moment.
Well I was deciding between AS or AA miles but i never redeem on their flights. I use partner awards for CX/JL/EK/QR

I just wanted to pre-empt a devaluation in the 7 night package by doing a transfer sooner rather than later.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:39 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
For the hotel part of the certificate, does it have to be used all at once, or can it split into 2 stays to 2 different same category hotels, e.g. 4 days at X, 3 days at Y
All 7 nights have to be used at one hotel within a single stay.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:52 pm

Noobie here. Does SPG Amex care if you MS on this card or was it just the Amex Platinum that was clawed back from some? Has anyone ever mentioned any repercussions of MS on this SPG card? Thx.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, UltimateRewards!

I've never heard of any issues regarding MS on the Amex card, but FT has a dedicated forum on the subject, so you might want to check it out.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by r415
The other consideration here is how lifetime status will be handled in the combined program. MR Lifetime status currently has a point requirement. Will they just convert over every Starpoint you've ever earned at 3:1 for this calculation in the new program, or will they look at your current balance in each program separately? If the latter, there may be benefits to converting or not converting that need to be taken into account as well.
Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points, so it should make no difference when you convert. Either Marriott honors their commitment to lifetime SPG points or status by 2018 or they don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.