Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

At 1 SPG = 3 MR, what are the arbitrage opportunities?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

At 1 SPG = 3 MR, what are the arbitrage opportunities?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
There was a promo in Sept with AA where a 20k point transfer got you 30k AA miles. So 80k got you 120k AA and then you'd still have 20k SPG left over to get you more than the 130 AA you describe (you'd get a total of 140k). Of course you don't get the 7 nights at Marriott - but you say these are worthless anyway (although personally I can't imagine the properties are that bad). I mean, it's free in this instance after all.
It's not really free. It's paid for using a rebate currency. But the hotel nights certs part of those packages are probably still transferable, so I'll be happy to take them and keep the donor in my good books.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by hhoope01
there have been a few within this forum stating they don't stay anywhere for 7 nights (and thus the hotel cert is not worth anything to them)
Those people don't realize that just because you book 7 nights doesn't mean you have to stay 7 nights.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Those people don't realize that just because you book 7 nights doesn't mean you have to stay 7 nights.
I would just give my unused room nights to someone and have the card on file for incidentals swapped.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:19 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I read about the 5 night Marriott packages earlier this year (Jan, Feb), and the comments in a lot of the blogs were that many (most?) were turned down for the 5 night packages for not having MVCI membership, but SOME people were able to get the agent to approve it. Is that still the case now, or is it universal rejection?
I wouldn't count on it working out. If somehow you can talk an agent into giving it to you, great. But AFAIK, it will be an exception not the norm.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I wouldn't count on it working out. If somehow you can talk an agent into giving it to you, great. But AFAIK, it will be an exception not the norm.
but for future reference, the 7 night award is open to anyone?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:00 am

It appears to be, at least for now.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Airline points are so much easier to come by than hotel nights that I never found that attractive. If I was buying for a family of 5, I might think otherwise.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 2:38 pm

Yes, it has always been available to everyone. At least as long as they have had the award.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:06 pm

So is there a way to convert SPG points direct to United miles now or is the only method through the nights and flights method? The reason I ask is after buying a couple of the packages, I will have a balance of SPG points left that I will want to convert to United points but i won't have enough for a third package.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
So is there a way to convert SPG points direct to United miles now or is the only method through the nights and flights method?
Directly is a 2:1 conversion ratio. Converting to Marriott (1:3) and then to United via RewardsPlus (http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morerew.mi) is a much better option.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:13 pm

So is there a way to convert SPG points direct to United miles now or is the only method through the nights and flights method?
You can transfer it directly; but, at 2:1, unless you need a little to top off redemption, it's a dismal value.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:16 am

So is there a way to convert SPG points direct to United miles now or is the only method through the nights and flights method? The reason I ask is after buying a couple of the packages, I will have a balance of SPG points left that I will want to convert to United points but i won't have enough for a third package.
If you are referring to the nights and flights from SPG, that only applies to airlines with a 1:1 ratio. You can't do nights and flights with United, but as others have mentioned, you can transfer direct at 2:1.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:14 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I'd suggest just sitting on the SPG points and not converting them (unless you need them to get the award ticket). 1:2 is a terrible conversion value. In the future you may stay at Starwood again and earn more, or decide to transfer to an alternate airline. The points won't go away (although make sure you have some sort of earning within 12 mos).
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:31 pm

is it possible to use the hotel 7 night package and sit on the free nights?
I need the miles but not the free hotel nights currently. or do i have to book the hotel nights when i use the package?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by VeryHumerus
is it possible to use the hotel 7 night package and sit on the free nights?
The miles are put into your airline account of choice. After that the use of those miles are totally up to the rules of that airline's program. Marriott has no control or even visibility into how you use (or don't use those airline miles.)

You will also receive a 7-night hotel cert of which you will have 1-year to use at any hotel you choose, within the category level of the hotel cert and hotel award availability of course. Marriott will normally let you extend that hotel cert for up-to another year (essentially giving you up-to 2 years to find a hotel to use it at.)

There are no rules linking the use of the airline miles to any particular hotel or hotel award reservation. So yes, you can sit on the free nights for at least a year and usually up-to 2 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.