Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by HollyGlen
There is some talk further down the MR thread about each tier (not just Plat 100 / Ambassador) being subject to a minimum spend. That would, frankly, be the stupidest and most short-sighted move ever.

To take my situation, I travel a lot for business. Plat 50 for the last two years (Gold for many years before that), and probably Plat 100 this year at my current stay rate. I stay mostly in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The hotel I frequent there most often, which will remain nameless, is not cheap at all by local standards.

However, because of local market conditions and currency weakness, my eligible spend is only US$125 a night. On 50 nights, I would barely scrape US$6,000, let alone the US$10,000 implied by the scale (half of 100 nights or US$20,000). Even a Plat 75 staying all of their nights at that hotel wouldn't make US$10,000 ($125 x 75 = $9,375). In short, if a proportionate minimum spend was imposed on every tier, current Plat 75s staying at that hotel would get stiffed with "(Fools') Gold". And this is Starwood's second most expensive hotel in the city, in a large stable which includes a St R, Westin, LM, Aloft, two Sheratons, Element and a W coming up!
Great point.

You actually don't even have to be in Malaysia for this to be true. I had 180+ nights last year with Starwood of which about 20 were points redemptions leaving 160+ nights paid. I stayed at a combination of Westins, Sheratons, Four Points, aLofts, Le Meridiens and the odd W. I rarely traveled to major markets and tended to stay at airport area hotels largely because of proximity to meetings. A big chunk of my stays were in Canada where the average rate I would have paid would have been around CAD150-CAD200 which would equate to about USD120-USD160. Even at 160+ paid nights paying non-prepaid rates available on the SPG website, I would not have met the Ambassador USD20,000 spend criteria. I did a quick, back of the envelope calculation by looking at the base points earned for all stays and I would not have made it. I would have some close. I would think that the USD20K spend has some qualifiers to it. Some airlines allow the "spend" threshold to also be met by affiliated credit card spend. If 160 nights didn't earn me top tier with Starwood, I'd just go elsewhere.

I wasn't gaming the system. I paid the lowest rates that were available and almost always using spg.com (sometimes I did ask my Ambassador to make the booking). I think it would be insane to expect guests to book the highest rates available (even when lower rates were available) because doing so would violate virtually every corporate travel policy that I have encountered.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Canada101
Great point.

You actually don't even have to be in Malaysia for this to be true. I had 180+ nights last year with Starwood of which about 20 were points redemptions leaving 160+ nights paid. I stayed at a combination of Westins, Sheratons, Four Points, aLofts, Le Meridiens and the odd W. I rarely traveled to major markets and tended to stay at airport area hotels largely because of proximity to meetings. A big chunk of my stays were in Canada where the average rate I would have paid would have been around CAD150-CAD200 which would equate to about USD120-USD160. Even at 160+ paid nights paying non-prepaid rates available on the SPG website, I would not have met the Ambassador USD20,000 spend criteria. I did a quick, back of the envelope calculation by looking at the base points earned for all stays and I would not have made it. I would have some close. I would think that the USD20K spend has some qualifiers to it. Some airlines allow the "spend" threshold to also be met by affiliated credit card spend. If 160 nights didn't earn me top tier with Starwood, I'd just go elsewhere.

I wasn't gaming the system. I paid the lowest rates that were available and almost always using spg.com (sometimes I did ask my Ambassador to make the booking). I think it would be insane to expect guests to book the highest rates available (even when lower rates were available) because doing so would violate virtually every corporate travel policy that I have encountered.
Yes, valid points well made. The issue with including 'affiliated credit card spend'....those cards are not offered in a number of countries, a bone of contention for many members who are unable to get the kick-start offered to US based holders. I doubt that Marriott wants to further extend this obvious inequity ( ...pretty dumb if they do...).
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by paolo64

Yes, valid points well made. The issue with including 'affiliated credit card spend'....those cards are not offered in a number of countries, a bone of contention for many members who are unable to get the kick-start offered to US based holders. I doubt that Marriott wants to further extend this obvious inequity ( ...pretty dumb if they do...).
Very good point! I just don't understand how they could expect someone who spends over 100 nights in their properties to reach USD20,000 in annual spend when those nights involve points redemptions and for many, nights spent in properties outside the U.S. where currency comes into play. Hopefully the rumor being circulated is inaccurate and it's 100 night or USD20K spend but if it is 100 nights and USD20K spend, I would expect many current Ambassador members would never be able to earn status even if they exceed 100 nights per year.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:17 am

They presumably know how many people would meet a proposed eligibility criteria, but $20k strikes me as a very ambitious spend target if it is 100N and $20k. It's possible that they intend to go back to the days of having a very small pool of AMB so that they can go back to giving decent service for all AMB, signalling a shift from SPG's current approach.

But let's not kid ourselves by starting with the assumption that we are automatically "owed" anything for doing 100 nights. Like all other loyalty programs, it will always come down to the chain offering a particular program/product, and the customer choosing or rejecting that program/product based on their own needs. If 100 nighters who don't spend $200 per night do not form part of Marriwood's vision for their new AMB program, that's very much their prerogative, just as it is all of our prerogative to shift our business and/or change our stay pattern. Every man for himself.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:55 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stargold
They presumably know how many people would meet a proposed eligibility criteria, but $20k strikes me as a very ambitious spend target if it is 100N and $20k. It's possible that they intend to go back to the days of having a very small pool of AMB so that they can go back to giving decent service for all AMB, signalling a shift from SPG's current approach.

But let's not kid ourselves by starting with the assumption that we are automatically "owed" anything for doing 100 nights. Like all other loyalty programs, it will always come down to the chain offering a particular program/product, and the customer choosing or rejecting that program/product based on their own needs. If 100 nighters who don't spend $200 per night do not form part of Marriwood's vision for their new AMB program, that's very much their prerogative, just as it is all of our prerogative to shift our business and/or change our stay pattern. Every man for himself.

Out of all the rumors I find extra restrictions on the top tier to be the least onerous.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head- with them wanting to limit Ambassador service so that they can provide better service to that tier.

The rumor that doesn’t make sense is stripping away most of the benefits one associates with Platinum from Plat50.

I am truly hoping that those rumors are false.

For the record, I am on track to hit 100 nights this year. I have been Plat75 for the last few and just achieved LTP.

Last edited by damon88; Apr 12, 2018 at 9:19 am
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:55 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
A big issue for me is Sheraton Lounge access with the *wood Business Amex card. What will happen to this benefit. If it goes, I will probably become a free agent.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by damon88

Out of all the rumors I find extra restrictions on the top tier to be the least onerous.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head- with them wanting to limit Ambassador service so that they can provide better service to that tier.

The rumor that doesn’t make sense is stripping away most of the benefits one associates with Platinum from Plat50.

I am truly hoping those those rumors are false.

For the record, I am on track to hit 100 nights this year. I have been Plat75 for the last few and just achieved LTP.
For what it's worth there are a lot of "theories" out there one thing you can be sure of "someone" read these boards. I think some of these ideas are simply trial ballots sent out to gauge reaction. Hyatt went through this two years ago upped the ante on Diamond which they now call Globalist ( Gag me with a spoon on that name) and their numbers form what I understand are down to the point their offering many of us a speedy way to retain. Having been a LTP with Marriott for many years I simply decided to go back to Marriott' especially with SPG giving me more of a choice for the upper end properties, now I see Marriott changing their system which I have always enjoyed over the years.

Having said that all the programs are undergoing changes some fundamental others slowly tightening them. We can all look to "equity capitol" for most of this as they seek to maximize their investment, when their done they dump properties. A classic example is the Hyatt Honolulu. GS bought it from a Asian businessman then proceeded to strip down the benefits to us, then they sold to BS they further bled it over the years the property had no real maintenance. Blackstone was forced to under go major exterior rehab, not enough and sold it. Now the new Asian owner is finally slowly brining it back.

Traveling is not as much fun as it once was and I think getting worse before it gets better.

just saying
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by Canada101
Very good point! I just don't understand how they could expect someone who spends over 100 nights in their properties to reach USD20,000 in annual spend when those nights involve points redemptions and for many, nights spent in properties outside the U.S. where currency comes into play. Hopefully the rumor being circulated is inaccurate and it's 100 night or USD20K spend but if it is 100 nights and USD20K spend, I would expect many current Ambassador members would never be able to earn status even if they exceed 100 nights per year.
Maybe they hope you transfer those 200k points to airline miles and use those miles to travel more and stay at pricier resort

If it 100 night OR $20k spending then I will be very happy

$$$ requirements encourage people to book more pricier rooms / hotels
Nights requirements encourage people to book and stay at the cheapest hotel/rooms available

Im curious about this :
Which category of guests is more profitable / desirable for hotel owners and managements ?
Guests that stay many nights at the cheapest hotel and rooms .... eg 100 nights at $40 Aloft ($4000 revenue)
or
Guest that stay 10 nights at St Regis $400 rooms ? ($4000 revenue as well)
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
If that ends up being true, I am all for it. When I had a good Ambassador it felt worthy of the name and I chased P100. Once I got a poor Ambassador(s) I stopped bothering and dropped down to P75. If they want people to push for a level, they have to give something worthy of my nights & spend. I'm all for harder to achieve tiers IF those tiers come with excellent benefits.
damon88 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
I have been Ambassador for the last 3 years, soon to be 4. I called and checked on my past spend, only to find out that I am short of the 20k threshold each of the last 3 years- 114 stays $17k, 108 stays $14k, and 130 stays $19k. What's a pageboy to do?
Canada101 likes this.

Last edited by pageboy; Apr 13, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Vulcan
A big issue for me is Sheraton Lounge access with the *wood Business Amex card. What will happen to this benefit. If it goes, I will probably become a free agent.
Likewise - there are lot of questions unanswered, and I guess we will find out next Monday.
Hopefully after the announcement, they will issue like a FAQ or Q&A page to iron out the cakes with these specific type benefits on how it will fit into the whole merger integration picture.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
I find the concept of a minimum spend to be a curious discussion point: surely most customers frequent similar hotels most of the time and so it doesn’t matter about the spend and benefits if the programme is correct in the first place for each brand.

For instance, if I stay at Four Points and spend Four Points rates to achieve my Platinum status then I will largely only receive Four Points benefits from that point onwards because that’s where I stay and that’s the rate I like to spend. I’m not going to spend time qualifying at Four Points and then spend my Platinum days in St Regis or Luxury Collections accruing expensive suite upgrades and free alcohol during happy hours.

My ability to redeem points for high-end free nights is also inherently limited by the fewer points I accrue from my Four Points spends and if I save up enough over the year for a night at the W Samui then I probably deserve it. But I’m more likely to spend my points at Four Points stays where I get more nights at a level I’m comfortable with.

The idea that people will try to game a system by qualifying on nights alone with 50 Cat 2 stays in order to get suites and lounge access at Cat 3 or 4 properties for the rest of the year or qualify by a tour of cheap Indonesia in order to get the benefits in the New York is absurd. There may be a few edge cases and we’re all guilty of the occasional mattress run to make up the nights but in general these systems are not rampantly abused because we all stay where we stay in the region we stay in.

Primarily I stay at Le Meridiens, Sheratons, the occasional Westin and sometimes a Four Points or Aloft in Asia. I stay because of the happy hours/lounge access, breakfast, suites and late check out in that order. If I lose these benefits from a new programme because of a minimum spend then the programme has no value to me points and free nights or not and they will lose every one of the 50-70 leisure nights I do each year as I find alternative hotels to bring value to my money.
renila, kilo, Canada101 and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by ftrichard
I find the concept of a minimum spend to be a curious discussion point: surely most customers frequent similar hotels most of the time and so it doesn’t matter about the spend and benefits if the programme is correct in the first place for each brand.

For instance, if I stay at Four Points and spend Four Points rates to achieve my Platinum status then I will largely only receive Four Points benefits from that point onwards because that’s where I stay and that’s the rate I like to spend. I’m not going to spend time qualifying at Four Points and then spend my Platinum days in St Regis or Luxury Collections accruing expensive suite upgrades and free alcohol during happy hours.

My ability to redeem points for high-end free nights is also inherently limited by the fewer points I accrue from my Four Points spends and if I save up enough over the year for a night at the W Samui then I probably deserve it. But I’m more likely to spend my points at Four Points stays where I get more nights at a level I’m comfortable with.

The idea that people will try to game a system by qualifying on nights alone with 50 Cat 2 stays in order to get suites and lounge access at Cat 3 or 4 properties for the rest of the year or qualify by a tour of cheap Indonesia in order to get the benefits in the New York is absurd. There may be a few edge cases and we’re all guilty of the occasional mattress run to make up the nights but in general these systems are not rampantly abused because we all stay where we stay in the region we stay in.

Primarily I stay at Le Meridiens, Sheratons, the occasional Westin and sometimes a Four Points or Aloft in Asia. I stay because of the happy hours/lounge access, breakfast, suites and late check out in that order. If I lose these benefits from a new programme because of a minimum spend then the programme has no value to me points and free nights or not and they will lose every one of the 50-70 leisure nights I do each year as I find alternative hotels to bring value to my money.
1. Brand positioning =/= Room rate.
2. Many people stay in locations with wildly varying room rates.
3. Earning during business travel, redeeming on personal vacation.
beltway and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:34 am

But let's not kid ourselves by starting with the assumption that we are automatically "owed" anything for doing 100 nights.
I'm not kidding myself but I am aware of my value as a loyal customer. Why do any of these businesses (airlines, hotels, etc) bother with loyalty programs which distinguish members based on frequency? Because doing so makes commercial and competitive sense.

The beauty of the free market is that all of our spending habits and patterns have value. The fact that I never shop outside the Starwood brands for my hotel stay requirements has value to Starwood. The fact that I stay at a property when it is at a 15-20-25-30% occupancy definitely has value. I know Starwood doesn't need me when their properties are full but I also know that their properties absolutely love me for my consistency and predictability when they aren't selling many (in a few cases, any) rooms. (Many Ambassador guests who stay at particular properties, I am sure, have experienced being either the only or one of the only paying guest at that property at some point or other, I know that I have). So in return for that, they entice my loyalty by conceiving of loyalty programs and loyalty program tiers.
MSPeconomist and jn in ca like this.

Last edited by Canada101; Apr 13, 2018 at 8:25 am
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I'll go out on a limb here and say that I think the $ spend requirement makes sense - especially if it is for the Ambassador service. As noted above, for all of the other tiers you end up with benefits equivalent to the hotels you stay at anyways (earning 100 nights at a $90 hotel will get you bennies at the $90 hotel). For the Ambassador program, there is a fixed cost to have an Ambassador allocated to each member - whether said member is booking rooms at $400/night or $90/night.

Quite frankly I don't think the Ambassador is worth much either way (not to say I don't appreciate my Ambassador - every time I've worked with her she has been fantastic). I've been SPG100 (really SPG150 if that was a thing) for the past 4 or 5 years and the Ambassador is definitely a nice to have, but I don't think it makes much of a difference. If Starriot is able to make the Ambassador service truly differentiating by adding a minimum spend requirement (and provide a commiserate service increase) then that is great - and if the program stays as is then it isn't like anyone is really that impacted (because Ambassadors can only do so much.. they can't do anything the Platinum desk can't already do, maybe just be a little more persistent with a hotel about things). So I think it is a lot of whining about nothing.

Regarding Platinum being 75 - this matches Marriot's Plat Elite so I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised by this. With the wider hotel selection it only makes sense to raise the earning bar. Other than a few far off countries, there is literally no major city without a Starriot property in it. So no one should be surprised that the night count is going up - it's too easy to hit 50 when properties are everywhere.

What would be a huge issue for me is how redemption are going to be impacted (dynamic awards?) and how Suite Night Awards will be treated if they are retained at all (I like SNAs since they are night-for-night - I don't want a stay-based SNA program).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.