Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
This hotel was owned by the unions, guess they found a cheaper manager.

It was a nice hotel, and had a good restaurant across the street.

The trollies were fun to ride,

It was a great place, let's see who the new manager is.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by satman40
This hotel was owned by the unions, guess they found a cheaper manager.

It was a nice hotel, and had a good restaurant across the street.

The trollies were fun to ride,

It was a great place, let's see who the new manager is.
What do you mean a "cheaper manager"? The owner have decided that want the property to be affiliated with the Hilton Loyalty program.

Are you asking about the "new manager" are you asking about the hotels General Manager or the hotels management system?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: HH Diam, IHG Pl, Sirius G,Bonvoy LTG,Melia Pl,Shangri-La Diam,UA*G,Emirates G,Virgin Atl. G,Hertz PC
I too received the e-mail from Starwood. I hold multiple reservations for late january, begin february. They told me that the hotel will honor my reservations. I'm a little bit worried because one of the reservations is a Starwood promotion, Sunsational savings, including 5th night free, upgrade and 200$ credit. Will the hotel honor that? On the other hand, since I hold Hilton Diamond status, I hope to have club lounge access (if the club lounge is still there!).
I asked about what if I want to cancel after october 30th and that is what they answered:

Dear Mr. XXXX,
Thank you for taking the time to respond to us.
I am happy to hear that the change of ownership will still benefit you. We will still be handling reservations and cancellation of reservations at The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa, Hollywood, Florida up until 11:59 pm EST on October 29, 2014. After that time, you will need to get in touch the hotel directly to make a cancellation.

Best Regards,

Nick Sneider

Platinum eConcierge

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide
Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by darch1
I'm a little bit worried because one of the reservations is a Starwood promotion, Sunsational savings, including 5th night free, upgrade and 200$ credit. Will the hotel honor that? On the other hand, since I hold Hilton Diamond status, I hope to have club lounge access (if the club lounge is still there!).
Under state law the hotel has an obligation to honor your (cash) reservation as booked. It has no obligation to extend elite benefits when the property is no longer part of the chain.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Sep 6, 2014 at 8:13 pm
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:01 pm

I too received the e-mail from Starwood. I hold multiple reservations for late january, begin february. They told me that the hotel will honor my reservations. I'm a little bit worried because one of the reservations is a Starwood promotion, Sunsational savings, including 5th night free, upgrade and 200$ credit. Will the hotel honor that? On the other hand, since I hold Hilton Diamond status, I hope to have club lounge access (if the club lounge is still there!).
I asked about what if I want to cancel after october 30th and that is what they answered:

Dear Mr. XXXX,
Thank you for taking the time to respond to us.
I am happy to hear that the change of ownership will still benefit you. We will still be handling reservations and cancellation of reservations at The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa, Hollywood, Florida up until 11:59 pm EST on October 29, 2014. After that time, you will need to get in touch the hotel directly to make a cancellation.

Best Regards,

Nick Sneider

Platinum eConcierge

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide
Though I only have SPG Gold status, I have been told directly by the Diplomat, as well as Starwood Corp that award (points) bookings and SPG rate bookings will not be honored. Other special rate reservations, such as AAA, will be honored.

This is a mess!

I am not touching my reservations, just yet. We will see how this all plays out, in the end, as "D-Day" is approaching.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I agree with the idea that award/C+P reservations that existed in the booking system at the time the contract was signed should be passed to the new owner as a liability with a clause forcing them to honor the reservations provided they remain intact (no date changes, etc). Obviously no new award bookings, but those that existed at the time of the deal should be honored by the new owner, and the transaction should work out whether the cost is a credit by SPG against the sale terms, or a cost inherited by the new owner upon deal close.

Customers should not be tossed aimlessly to the wind because of a business transaction of this type.

In fact, this requirement should be worked into the franchise agreement terms so any property owner who sells or rebrands is forced to work out this issue with no impact to already-booked customers.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by KSA_USA
when we use our points as a method of payment Starwood will reimburse the property by certain amount of dollars. this amount ranges from low $ to very high $ ( rack rate) depending on occupancy. since Starwood have no way to verify Hilton occupancy you are suggesting Starwood pay whatever amount Hilton asks. so for example you are suggesting Starwood pay Hilton rack rate for NYE points reservations. for what? for a decision Starwood didn't make? that dose not make sense to me.
Ok, this will be my last comment on this topic since repeating the same arguments tires me. Forget about Hilton and Rack rates and NYE reservations.

Quoting myself, and adding extra emphasis:

What I am suggesting is that Starwood convert those points into cash NOW and hand it over to the Diplomat (while it's still managed by Starwood) for the reservations that people were holding.
The specific mechanics of the transaction are actually irrelevant. The central argument is that the reservation is a contract, independent of whether it's made with cash or points (or cash & points ) and I'm sure, if there's the will to act, that it can easily be honored.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I agree with the idea that award/C+P reservations that existed in the booking system at the time the contract was signed should be passed to the new owner as a liability with a clause forcing them to honor the reservations provided they remain intact (no date changes, etc). Obviously no new award bookings, but those that existed at the time of the deal should be honored by the new owner, and the transaction should work out whether the cost is a credit by SPG against the sale terms, or a cost inherited by the new owner upon deal close.

Customers should not be tossed aimlessly to the wind because of a business transaction of this type.

In fact, this requirement should be worked into the franchise agreement terms so any property owner who sells or rebrands is forced to work out this issue with no impact to already-booked customers.
Award bookings are paid in full, albeit with Starpoints which are not free. It is a currency. Award bookings existing as of the time of the purchase should have been dealt with as part of the purchase and sale agreement.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Okto

Quoting myself, and adding extra emphasis:

What I am suggesting is that Starwood convert those points into cash NOW and hand it over to the Diplomat (while it's still managed by Starwood) for the reservations that people were holding.

The specific mechanics of the transaction are actually irrelevant. The central argument is that the reservation is a contract, independent of whether it's made with cash or points (or cash & points ) and I'm sure, if there's the will to act, that it can easily be honored.
you can't just convert points to cash NOW and hand it to the Diplomat for future reservation. the exchange rate is based on occupancy rate. occupancy rate fluctuate on a daily/weekly/ monthly basis and that is precisely why what you are suggesting won't make sense.

and sure anyone who is fully familiar with the terms of contract they entered into can sue Starwood if they have a chance. I haven't read one yet but it will be interesting to see what's in it.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Fascinating debate.

As I am both a Starwood Platinum and HHONORS Diamond, this reflagging of the Diplomat does not affect me too much

I remembered going through basically the same thing with the Hilton SFO (formerly Sheraton SFO), a hotel where I stayed frequently at. The transition was more or less smooth.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Will there be a ceremonial unplugging of the Westin Heavenly Scent dispenser in the lobby?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: HH Diam, IHG Pl, Sirius G,Bonvoy LTG,Melia Pl,Shangri-La Diam,UA*G,Emirates G,Virgin Atl. G,Hertz PC
Now it is really confusing

I received an e-mail last week telling me that my reservations will be honored by the hotel as they are not award reservations, but today I receive another e-mail telling me that they will NOT!:

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX,
We hope to find you well and thank you for your inquiry.
We would like to offer our sincere apologies for any inconvenience encountered by the deactivation of The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa; we make every effort to minimize the disruption to our guests
Please be assured that we fully appreciate the points you have raised and would, once again like to apologize for this inconvenience, but regrettably we cannot honour your reservation as it was originally booked to this hotel being managed by a company independent from Starwood
Alternatively, should you wish to check availability at another Starwood Hotels and Resorts WW hotel you may also call us at our designated toll free line from the US 877-782-0132 or international contact number at +353-21–4539146. You can visit our site to review our other hotels in the area if you prefer to make your own alternative arrangements.
Our hotels have opened ample availability for point’s rates in a continued support through this transitioning time for our hotel.
Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel
The Westin Beach Resort & Spa Fort Lauderdale
The Westin Cape Coral at Marina Village
W Fort Lauderdale
We remain at your disposal for any additional information.
Sincerely,
Veronica Quirce

My reservations are NOT on points!!!
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
I received an e-mail last week telling me that my reservations will be honored by the hotel as they are not award reservations, but today I receive another e-mail telling me that they will NOT!:
I'm guessing they sent one by mistake.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:50 pm

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX,
We hope to find you well and thank you for your inquiry.
We would like to offer our sincere apologies for any inconvenience encountered by the deactivation of The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa; we make every effort to minimize the disruption to our guests
Please be assured that we fully appreciate the points you have raised and would, once again like to apologize for this inconvenience, but regrettably we cannot honour your reservation as it was originally booked to this hotel being managed by a company independent from Starwood
Alternatively, should you wish to check availability at another Starwood Hotels and Resorts WW hotel you may also call us at our designated toll free line from the US 877-782-0132 or international contact number at +353-21–4539146. You can visit our site to review our other hotels in the area if you prefer to make your own alternative arrangements.
Our hotels have opened ample availability for point’s rates in a continued support through this transitioning time for our hotel.
Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel
The Westin Beach Resort & Spa Fort Lauderdale
The Westin Cape Coral at Marina Village
W Fort Lauderdale
We remain at your disposal for any additional information.
Sincerely,
Veronica Quirce

My reservations are NOT on points!!!
Looks to me your issue is because you did your booking through a 3rd party, not Starwood. If so, isn't your beef is with the 3rd party?

Cheers,
Old Sep 13, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Onepass, Lifemiles, SPG, Marriott. LANPASS s*cks.
Considering the property is moving away from spg, are they still giving Plats those fabulous, consistent upgrades?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.