Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Gold via Amex Plat problems

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2016, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
You always had to re enroll every year...
Well, some of us clearly did not. So we either slipped through or it wasn't required.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Per my other post, all points accounted for! In answer to your question:

Enrolled Sept 2014 (back then had to call Amex who transferred over to SPG)
Dropped March 2016 (now Amex handles all enrollments to Gold).
Here's my guess as to what happened. And those of you who are smarter in SPG please correct me b/c my knowledge is more limited here.

When you get status, it's good for the reminder of the year that you are in, the full part of the next year, and expires at the end of Feb of the following year.

So in your case, when you became Gold in Sept 2014, it was good for Sept 2014 through all of 2015 to Feb 29, 2016.
Then on March 2016 is when new status takes over. If you didn't requalify in 2015, then status is dropped. Since your status is through an external party, I assume that they cannot automatically requalify you.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's been a while since I used my charge card for elite status with SPG, but when I was doing it that way, it seemed to me that there were years when the status seemed to automatically continue without any intervention on my part and other times when I was bounced down without warning and discovered it only when I made my next reservation or (much worse) upon arrival at a Starwood hotel. It might have been that my wonderful personal travel agents were just taking the steps to renew the status without telling me.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC the SPG Gold via AmEx Plat seems to require periodic re-enrollment. It might have expired after the first year for you.

BTW, is this a benefit for authorized users or just the primary accountholder? What color is your AmEx card, Plat or Gold (versus spouse's Plat card, as IIRC there's a higher annual fee for the Plat authorized used card)? [This issue seems to matter with some of the AmEx DL affiliated cards.]
Primary and authorized user cards get the benefit of the SPG Gold upgrade. I've had to call up this March and in March 2014 to get some accounts upgraded because it didn't auto-renew. I can't recall calling up in March 2015 for renewed Gold, but maybe it was done without me knowing about it.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Was just looking at the AMEX Personal Platinum application and it no longer lists SPG Gold as a benefit. Wondering if the problems people are having is because AMEX is in the process of dropping that benefit?

Anyone know if it is still a benefit if we apply soon?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:51 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by deant
Was just looking at the AMEX Personal Platinum application and it no longer lists SPG Gold as a benefit. Wondering if the problems people are having is because AMEX is in the process of dropping that benefit?

Anyone know if it is still a benefit if we apply soon?
It's still a benefit:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...-gold/platinum
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:53 am

reenroll every year. takes just two minutes and one call.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
You always had to re enroll every year...
Not true.

Years being an AMEX Platinum cardmember, I only dropped once only. So re-enrolling per year is definitely not a thing required.

However, I do agree that you can be dropped without notice. And at that time I was dropped, AMEX was quite good in fixing the issue (it was upgraded back almost immediately) and made sure I would be taken care of despite the drop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.