Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG 50 question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2003, 5:31 pm
Original Poster
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
SPG 50 question

I know that a lot of people think they are worthless, but I've actually snagged some pretty good deals in the past. Lately, however, there never seem to be any SPG 50s available. Is there any way to search for these award dates, or does one have to ask an SPG rep each time?

And if somebody knows-- I'm curious. Are there a certain amount alotted (and perhaps they are sold out by the time I call) or are they only sporadically available?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Dec 16, 2003, 6:01 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
As far as availability for using the certificate is concerned, you have to call the Customer Contact Center - everytime you want to check.

If you're looking for the certificate itself, try the Coupon Connection. People trade for them there all the time. Or, spend 1,000 Starpoints and get one mailed to you from the source.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Dec 16, 2003, 8:39 pm
Original Poster
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for getting back to me. I actually have a few on hand right now and thought I would use them at the W Union Square, where I have used them successfully in the past.

The SPG rep I spoke with said none were available for any of the dates I gave him. That's why I was wondering if there was any easier way to apply them.

Old Dec 17, 2003, 7:30 am
ube

I recently tried to reserve using the SPG50 for Jan 9 and 10 and was told that the hotel hadn't loaded what nights were available into the system yet. I would try calling back if they tell you they are unavailable to make sure that it's not the same thing.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 7:46 am

I have recently made some reservations using SPG 50 s. From what i gather there only seems to be fess and easy availability during a hotels; quiet season.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 8:10 am
Original Poster
SPG 5+ Badge

In the past it seems as if SPG reps have volunteered to me that SPG 50s were available and would beat the "best available rate." But now some sound confused when I ask about them.

I wish there was a way to search for them on the website.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 9:26 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
This really, really, really, really needs to be searchable on line. It seems to me to be a waste of my time and *wood's time to ask us to call in and take a human's time for 5 minutes to search for SPG50 availability......

Old Dec 17, 2003, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sadly, I just had one of those experiences where the hotel I wanted had plenty of Best Available, Corporate and Rack Rates, but none of the Rack Rates were eligible for the new "Holiday Gift" SPG50s.

PlatCon: "I'm sorry, but this hotel isn't accepting SPG50s on their rack rates on those dates."

Me: "Gee. Doesn't seem like much of a Happy Holiday Gift in this situation, does it?"

PlatCon: "Well, it does seem a bit Grinchy to me too."

Screw 'em. Booked a weekend award stay instead. Hope they're happy with the 23 bucks or whatever they get from Starwood for a discounted Category 1 weekend award. They could have made much better green if they had taken the SPG50s on the rack rate.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 2:48 pm

Is it true that SPG50 earns stay and night credits (thus count towards elite requalification)? I have heard conflicting responses on this. Does anyone know for sure?
Thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 4:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Yes they do

Originally Posted by LH-AC
Is it true that SPG50 earns stay and night credits (thus count towards elite requalification)? I have heard conflicting responses on this. Does anyone know for sure?
Thanks.
I can definitely confirm that.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 4:45 pm

Thanks AZ Travels the World. I guess I need to contact Starwood and ask them to fully credit my recent stay using SPG50. They only credited me for the incidentals.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep. SPG50s earn full stay and night credit.

It's the "Cash & Points" booking that do not.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 6:59 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
I actually am planning a stay at the Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa - when I called *wood reservations they said the rate is not available for anytime in May. So I made the rate for the lowest rate ($191). I then proceeded to call the hotel directly (I was Platinum). I just asked then about the SPG50 rate and they immediatly changed it. I am now paying $128 a night. Also, my reservation was immediatly upgraded to a Diplmat Suite! Great Job Westin diplomat!!
Old May 29, 2004, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Figured I'd re-ask the question, since it was pointed out as a problem last year and now it's almost June: Is there a way to search for SPG50 award availability online? I now have a couple of these things from various sources, but do not want to have to spend time making phone calls to see if I can use them.

If I can't book 'em online, I guess I'll put 'em on CC in hopes of minor Marriott/Hilton goodies in return.
Old May 29, 2004, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Figured I'd re-ask the question, since it was pointed out as a problem last year and now it's almost June: Is there a way to search for SPG50 award availability online? I now have a couple of these things from various sources, but do not want to have to spend time making phone calls to see if I can use them.

If I can't book 'em online, I guess I'll put 'em on CC in hopes of minor Marriott/Hilton goodies in return.

No u can not search on line. U have to phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.