Search

SPG 50 question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, SPG - Plat, AA, UA, Marriott
My mistake: Rack rates vary with occupancy

Time to eat crow.

Extract from earlier post on this thread:
"I'm planning a trip to the Far East next week and want to spend 4 nights at the Sheraton Grande in Bangkok. I check on SPG.com and the best rate is $155 for a standard room. It also shows Rack rates of $190 for a standard room and $250 for a grande deluxe room.

I think this would be a good time to burn 1,000 points and get 50% off the grande deluxe room. So I call SPG in Ireland and ask at the outset which rates are used when calculating the 50% rates. The agent tells that the Rack rates are used.

Cool!

What's available? Grande deluxe rooms.

The rate? $145."
After feeling ripped off when trying to use my SPG50 award after the exchange above, I went back to SPG.com just to see if I had made a mistake. Sure enough the Rack rate was $250. Then I noticed that I had the number of adults set at 1. So,on the off chance it would make a difference, I changed it to 2 and, lo and behold, the Rack rate is $290.

D'oh!

I'm so used to booking just for myself and assumed that all quoted rates on SPG.com would be per room rather than per person. You learn something new every day! Meanwhile, SPG have contacted the hotel to get my rate changed.

Needless to say an email to SPG eating humble pie is winging its way across the ether.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by skye1
She also said that once a hotel reaches 80% capacity, they have no SPG50 rates available.

Nobody ever said that these weren't capacity controlled.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Flyer_Tuck
Time to eat crow.

Extract from earlier post on this thread:
"I'm planning a trip to the Far East next week and want to spend 4 nights at the Sheraton Grande in Bangkok. I check on SPG.com and the best rate is $155 for a standard room. It also shows Rack rates of $190 for a standard room and $250 for a grande deluxe room.

I think this would be a good time to burn 1,000 points and get 50% off the grande deluxe room. So I call SPG in Ireland and ask at the outset which rates are used when calculating the 50% rates. The agent tells that the Rack rates are used.

Cool!

What's available? Grande deluxe rooms.

The rate? $145."
After feeling ripped off when trying to use my SPG50 award after the exchange above, I went back to SPG.com just to see if I had made a mistake. Sure enough the Rack rate was $250. Then I noticed that I had the number of adults set at 1. So,on the off chance it would make a difference, I changed it to 2 and, lo and behold, the Rack rate is $290.

D'oh!

I'm so used to booking just for myself and assumed that all quoted rates on SPG.com would be per room rather than per person. You learn something new every day! Meanwhile, SPG have contacted the hotel to get my rate changed.

Needless to say an email to SPG eating humble pie is winging its way across the ether.
Never assume the rate is the same for one adult as for two. I've found rate differences based on number of adults for some US Starwood hotels, as well as for other chains. It seems to depend on the individual hotel, and even on the particular rate type.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 9:45 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Marysunshine
William, when I called to ask where my annual spg50 was with my annual fee on AMEX I was told it was electronically posted to my Starwood account. Is it not possible to get the paper certificates any more?
You can call the Customer Contact Center and ask them to order the award off your account and it will be sent to you. AX50 is the award code.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by kls1891
Hmmm..I've had the starwood Amex for about 2 years, and never recieved any SPG50's from Amex. Should they have sent them to me? Do I get one each year? Or just once?
You get one every year as long as you are a Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express cardholder in good standing. If they don't send you one call the Customer Contact Center and ask them to order an AX50 award off your account.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Likewise - have had a Starwood Amex for 2 years and also are timeshare owners with the Westin Kaanapali (LOVE IT!!) and NEVER received a SPG50 from my account.

William, can you help??

thanks
Call the Customer Contact Center and ask them to order an AX50 award from off your account.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:22 pm

annual spg50

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
You get one every year as long as you are a Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express cardholder in good standing. If they don't send you one call the Customer Contact Center and ask them to order an AX50 award off your account.
Starwood Lurker,

Is this annual spg50 award complimentary or does 1,000 points get automatically deducted whenever you request it? Thanks.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by travelnutz
Starwood Lurker,

Is this annual spg50 award complimentary or does 1,000 points get automatically deducted whenever you request it? Thanks.
The one associated with being a Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express cardholder? It's free. All you have to do is ask for an AX50 award to be ordered off your account. No Starpoints are deducted for that.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by travelnutz
Starwood Lurker,

What would be the point of doing that??? Since the SPG50 award costs 1,000 points anyway, it would not in any way be a benefit to the cardholder.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:43 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Last week I used an SPG50 at the Santa Marina in Mykonos Greece, which was an excellent value at 126.50 Euros per night. Although buffet breakfast is included with all rates, I was told that we would not get breakfast when using the SPG50. I could not find any terms or conditions to clarify if this was correct. Can Lurker shed any light on this?
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Richard1148
Last week I used an SPG50 at the Santa Marina in Mykonos Greece, which was an excellent value at 126.50 Euros per night. Although buffet breakfast is included with all rates, I was told that we would not get breakfast when using the SPG50. I could not find any terms or conditions to clarify if this was correct. Can Lurker shed any light on this?
The SPG50 is an award. My best guess is that the hotel is applying the same tenets regarding free buffet breakfast as they would on a Preferred (free) Night Award, which they are allowed to do. Personally, if it were up to me I wouldn't do this, but apparently it is their policy.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:59 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
RAckrate

Its a big rip off sometimes with the rackrate. i never was able to use one of my spg50s .
so finally i found out that the spg 50 are of a good use if you use them in Asia where the hotel rates are rediculous high on weekends.

for 3 persons i only got 2 rooms at 450usd each = 900usd.
i found a room for 3 persons rackrate 700usd . so with that spg50 it is now 350usd!

thats great. but the weekly rate for the same room is only 149 usd...

in the end it is a ripoff, but i saved 350usd and can make my family happy, so i will stop to cry

William, will every amex card holder get a }SPG 50? Or may be centurion card holders? that would be great.

dp
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by derpelikan
...William, will every amex card holder get a }SPG 50? Or may be centurion card holders? that would be great.

dp
No, just those who are Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express cardholders.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:05 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
The SPG50 is an award. My best guess is that the hotel is applying the same tenets regarding free buffet breakfast as they would on a Preferred (free) Night Award, which they are allowed to do. Personally, if it were up to me I wouldn't do this, but apparently it is their policy.
Thanks Lurker. I did not put up much of an argument over the breakfast issue, as they did upgrade me to a deluxe room.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA, WN, Marriott, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Using SPG50 with new AMEX stay bonus

I just received my new SPG Amex, and inside was the shiny new SPG50 coupon. When I signed up for the card, the standard stay bonus was offered - 1000 points for the first stay, 500 pts/stay for the next ten stays for the first year. Can I use the SPG50 coupon and still get the 1000 pts first stay bonus? TIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.