Wiki Posts
Search

Kansas City: Westin or Sheraton?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2002, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Kansas City: Westin or Sheraton?

Does anyone have any input as far as where to stay in Kansas City?

Starwood has a Westin and a Sheraton Suites. I am SPG Gold .. anyone have some good upgrade experiences in either of these properties?

Thanks for your help! Any advice on getting to Platinum would also be greatly appreciated too!
Old Jul 23, 2002, 7:40 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/003581.html
Old Jul 23, 2002, 8:35 pm

No upgrade experiences, but I have stayed at the Westin and it's nice, although not terribly new and not as posh as several newer Westins where I've recently had the pleasure of staying, (St. Louis, Westminster near Denver, etc.). It's hooked up with the Crown Center, which is kind of a yawner for me, but it's also right next to a great local place for dinner called The American Restaurant, a Morton's that is not supposed to be very good and some other things. It's right off Main St. about halfway between downtown and the Country Club Plaza, which many would say is K.C.'s real downtown. Upgrades at the Westin are supposed to be fairly easy.

I haven't stayed at the Sheraton yet, but I would go there if you want to be right on the Plaza. I have booked a stay there for business later this summer. This is the big shopping and restaurant/nightlife area. This is an all-suites place, so I assume your upgrades would involve club floors and bigger suites.

Check rates on spg.com and call the hotel too -- you can score very low rates at both places if your timing is right. I would avoid the Four Points, which is near the Plaza, as it's mediocre at best and not nearly as nice as the Westin or Sheraton.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 9:16 pm
Suspended

I'm Platinum and have received upgrades to the Presidential and other suites at the Westin Crown Center. I have yet to receive a real upgrade at the Sheraton Suites, but wonder if they really only have one room type.

Both properties are in good locations...depending on your interest.

My kids love "the Crown Center Hotel" because there are a lot of family/kid themed restaurants/shops/theatres there. Hallmark developed the whole area in part for profit, in part for employee families and community.

The Plaza has world class shopping and some very good restaurants (although the critics choice for very best KC restaurant is the American Restaurant at the Crown Center). This location is my wife's choice...actually she prefers the Fairmont on the Plaza, but I keep telling her that their guest progam stinks!

You will have to leave both areas to get the best KC BBQ. There is a Gates smack dab between the Crown Center and the Plaza.

Unfortunately, because I am a pool lover, pools at both locations are disappointing. This seems to be a trend nationwide, however.

If it is adults only I would head for the Sheraton Suites on the Plaza. If kids are in the mix, head to the Westin...site of the PLangian annual father/daughter weekend.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 9:30 pm

Location: Currently a man without a country; American Airlines-3MM, Executive Platinum; US Airways-Doesn't Matter AAnymore; Hilton-Diamond; Starwood-Platinum; Hyatt-Diamond
As a KC resident who has stayed at both places (kids love those free Friday/Saturday promotions!) I think it is a real tie. Have been upgraded to the State Suite at the Westin which was bigger than my house (on a Free Friday stay) and have had other nice upgrades as well. Skip Mortons, have lunch at the American (M-F), then cab it a few blocks to a place called Zin (like the wine) which is one of the BEST restaurants in KC...fabulous food and just a great way to spend a few hours...had dinner there a few weeks ago and the amuse bouche was a grilled scallop...we all wanted to just order more of those and we hadn't even made it to the salad course yet!

The Sheraton has a Club Lounge which had the typical cheese/vegi/fruit/something heated stuff but the location is great. Plus you will always get a suite at the Sheraton Suites!

The Plaza is wonderful...1.95 happy hour at the McCormick and Schmicks (sp?) then on to a wonderful outdoor cafe like "Classic Cup" or pop over to my personal favorite "Grand Street Cafe". Or cab it up to the Kemper Museum for a wonderful lunch or dinner at Cafe Sebastian (lunch daily M-F, and dinner F/S) surrounded my art (martinis to die for)...yes there is a PF Changs and a Cheesecake Factory, and a Ruth's Chris (great steaks) but we have fab local stuff...please skip the chains AND THE BBQ--we have way more to offer than BBQ) and give our local places a try.

So urban (Westin) or cosmo (Sheraton) you will not go wrong...it's KC after all!!!!

[This message has been edited by mwp2paris (edited 07-23-2002).]
Old Jul 24, 2002, 6:55 am

mwp2paris -- since you're a local, how would you compare Zin or Grand Street Cafe with Cafe Allegro (which apparently is now closed or sold)? I used to stop by Allegro when in town and thought it was pretty good the 3 or 4 times I was there. I would also be interested in your thoughts on Hannah Bistro Cafe (full name?) if you have been there.

I agree on the BBQ comments. I love the local BBQ, but there is so much more in KC to sample. I was pleasantly surprised at the wealth of good local restaurants in this city.

One final note on the Sheraton -- it looks pretty nice, but I was curious if anyone who has been there in recent months can tell me whether it has been renovated in the past year or two, or if it's very old. I don't have an issue either way, I was just curious about how "fresh" it was.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 11:18 am

Location: Currently a man without a country; American Airlines-3MM, Executive Platinum; US Airways-Doesn't Matter AAnymore; Hilton-Diamond; Starwood-Platinum; Hyatt-Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pietro:
mwp2paris -- since you're a local, how would you compare Zin or Grand Street Cafe with Cafe Allegro.... I would also be interested in your thoughts on Hannah Bistro Cafe (full name?) if you have been there.</font>
How we will miss Cafe Allegro. Zin is every bit as good. One of the best meals I have ever had was at Zin...a tasting menu with about 6 courses and each one was incredible.

Grand Street is a bistro with great food and drink (Monday is Martini night!) The chef has cooked at the James Beard House and is very creative (don't miss the mustard gnocci) and it all adds up to a fun, relaxed atmosphere. We go for Sunday Brunch and a Bloody Mary (or 3)!

Love Hannah's Bistro. Have taken some cooking classes there. Check out their website at www.hannahbistro.com. The owner has opened a couple of other places around town but Hannah's is the best.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I agree on the BBQ comments. I love the local BBQ, but there is so much more in KC to sample. I was pleasantly surprised at the wealth of good local restaurants in this city.</font>
Thank you. (Though an occasional Beef on Bun at Gates is necessary!)

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">One final note on the Sheraton -- it looks pretty nice, but I was curious if anyone who has been there in recent months can tell me whether it has been renovated in the past year or two, or if it's very old. I don't have an issue either way, I was just curious about how "fresh" it was.
</font>
I have not seen any news that the Sheraton (to get back on thread) has been renovated. Still that pinkish, greenish, woody look that other Sheraton Suites have. Picked my daughter up from there recently (slumber party) and the lobby looked the same though I didn't see a guest room.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 12:48 pm

Thanks for the great info. I travel to K.C. on business several times throughout the year, and it's a great place to visit. I'll make a note of these restaurants for the next trip.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pietro:
It's right off Main St. about halfway between downtown and the Country Club Plaza, which many would say is K.C.'s real downtown.</font>
Although some do refer to it as "downtown," the Plaza is not Kansas City's downtown. It's not uptown, either. It is a constructed shopping district that was designed by Jesse Nichols' firm in the '20s. I don't know if anyone remembers that "Cupcake Land" social critique book from the '90s, but the Plaza figured as a prominent example in it.

The JC Nichols Company also built the neighborhoods to the south of the Plaza, including the district where I grew up. The Plaza's full name (Country Club Plaza) refers to a city district -- Country Club -- at whose northern end the Plaza is situated. The old KCCC was located in present-day Loose Park. It moved in the early '30s, IIRC, to an adjoining district, Mission Hills, Kansas.

By the way, the Plaza used to be more utilitarian: we had a Sears there among other stores during my youth.

Downtown Kansas City has historical interest, but it has seen better days. It's been rather run-down since the early '80s. There is some social activity there, and banks and government natch.

Crown Center was Donald Hall's 1970s urban revitilization project as part of his Hallmark Cards. What is now the Westin was the original hotel anchor of this project. This area was the old train-station district (not really downtown, and not really uptown) and was historically rather run-down.

[This message has been edited by fastflyer (edited 07-24-2002).]
Old Jul 24, 2002, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Lifetime Gold
Both are a great choice. The Westin is connected to the Crown Center Mall. Lots of shops to walk through. The Sheraton is in the Country Club Plaza area. Lots of shopping and restaurants in this area.

If you stay at the Westin, you have to eat at Benton's. I never recommend eatting at the hotel restaurant, but this is the one exception. You will love it!!
Old Jul 29, 2002, 10:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by runfromthefire:
Does anyone have any input as far as where to stay in Kansas City?

Starwood has a Westin and a Sheraton Suites. I am SPG Gold .. anyone have some good upgrade experiences in either of these properties?
</font>

This is truly a conundrum for me, as I enjoy staying at both hotels!

There are good points to each hotel--

Sheraton Suites--

Very friendly staff, and when I was staying there monthly a couple of years ago, the front desk clerk would greet me and simply hand me my keys as he saw me alight from my car. The inhouse reservations staff already blocked my favorite room for me.

Virtually a nonstop checkin to my room! Service does not get much better than that!

Club level lounge, w/free continental breakfast. No lounge at the Westin.

Free parking. Westin charges for parking.

More night life at Country Club Plaza.

No worries about upgrades as all rooms are essentially the same, though some have business amenities in room (i.e. fax, business desk, etc.).

Westin Crown Plaza--

Suites. Lots of good upgrade potential as there are multiple types of rooms and suites, including at least one with a piano.

Better views-- rooms facing Downtown have a nice view of the skyline and Union Station.

Close proximity to Union Station (great if you're arriving by Amtrak!).

More restaurants (good if there is inclement weather and one doesn't wish to venture out).

--

As far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong with either hotel!
Old Aug 1, 2002, 12:06 pm
Suspended

You cannot go wrong with either.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 8:03 pm

Can I expect anything at the Westin as a measly Gold?
Old Jun 2, 2003, 4:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by emaij:
Can I expect anything at the Westin as a measly Gold?</font>
Stay at the new Sheraton in Overland Park. It's a very short drive to downtown and worth it. It's one of the nicest Sheratons that I have stayed at.

------------------
AA Platinum, Delta Gold, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont President's Club Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Old Jun 3, 2003, 7:13 am

PMASON -- thanks for the recommendation. I'll be staying there later this year and wondered how nice it was. Judging by the web site, it looks like a very upscale Sheraton.

I know the Overland Park area, which is a very nice area, and it's close to K.C. as you mentioned. Any other details or suggestions you can offer from your stay at this property?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.