Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Being an individual hotel's VIP

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2003, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Being an individual hotel's VIP

I was wondering

1-What is the usual # of nites someone has before being nominated as an individual hotel's vip

2-Once nominated when does it expire?
Old Mar 24, 2003, 8:44 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I bet g_leyser would have an answer for you. A return stay within a month at most hotels seems to have gotten me and my husband extremely good service. I had three stays at the Sheraton Wall Centre in a month and was treated like a princess. My husband used to stay once a month at the Hyatt on Oahu and he also got exceptional service. Mind you we had not status with these chains at these times.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC
What does being 'an individual hotel's VIP' entail? I am not familiar with that term.

Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2003, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I used to stay at the Governor Hotel (Portland) when it was a Westin, somewhat frequently. (5 times a year or more) - Sometimes even the car valet would address me by name when I'd pull up on my arrival (I finally asked if he "really" knew my name, and he told me how he "remembers"). I'm sure I was treated better than the typical Westin Gold at the time. I'd probably have continued to stay there after they discontinued the Westin affiliation, but for one idiotic decision that management made...)
Old Mar 24, 2003, 10:40 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">What does being 'an individual hotel's VIP' entail? I am not familiar with that term.</font>
A lot of hotels will put guests who stay at their hotel frequently above those who have status with the chain inn terms of upgrades and such. You also obviously begin to recognize the staff and they you, making for better service. I'm not sure there's any formula for this, but I've certainly found it to be true. We also used to frequent the Hyatt Maui and the Kea Lani and got treated very well though no status with either (Kea Lani didn't offer status at the time - pre-Fairmont days). Makes sense that a hotel's going to take better care of their own frequent customer than the chain's frequent customer who might only visit the individual hotel once.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 11:36 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I suppose this varies greatly at any hotel, regardless of the chain.

Case in point:
My stays for the last 18 months at the W New York - all at $198/night, have gotten me no extra recognition above and beyond what I should get as an SPG Platinum (the hotel has really become good at recognizing this status over time, by the way).

The exception to that is the hotel sending me little gifts now and then like pajamas, a clock radio, etc. Those are nice gestures. But, on my actual stays I'm not treated any better today than I was in 2001 - and this is after 60+ nights. That's not bad thing - the service is right where I expect with few complaints.

I suppose if I had been on the rack rate of $900 for an Urban Suite all those nights, I might see a different level of service. Who knows.

Across the street, however, the Waldorf is a whole different ballgame. Ever since dividing my time between SPG and HHonors, I've alternated some weeks/months at the two hotels. While on typically $150-$220 rates there, the staff, reception, bartenders, etc. all recognize and remember me. Just a different feel, all together.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 12:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Premier Executive, AirTran Elite, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold VIP, Her
Hmm, I have about 68 nights pretty much coming from consectuive weeks dating back to last November at the Sheraton Premiere at Tysons Corner in Vienna, VA. The staff is just now learning my name and starting less than a month ago began getting upgraded to anything (club room). I'll have requalified for Platinum by next week and so I will only continue staying at this hotel while the promotions last and then I will be off to find another hotel in the area to stay at. I highly recommend the impressive platinum ammenities at this hotel if you're in the area and can't get a room at any other hotel.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 12:31 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dbk10:
Hmm, I have about 68 nights pretty much coming from consectuive weeks dating back to last November at the Sheraton Premiere at Tysons Corner in Vienna, VA. The staff is just now learning my name and starting less than a month ago began getting upgraded to anything (club room). </font>
that's really dreadful. is it the same staff that checks you in week after week or is there a bit of turnover?

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 03-24-2003).]
Old Mar 24, 2003, 2:39 pm

Location: Chicago - AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott PL, Starwood PL, Hyatt Gold
I have been staying at the Sheraton Cleveland airport hotel weekly since December. The staff is incredible and definitely treats me better than an average platinum. I am not only upgraded to a suite every week, but after trying out a few I found one that I like best...I told one check in agent that one evening, and somehow the entire staff knows and I have been put in that room every week for the last 2+ months. I often grab a beer when I get in Sunday night...the bar closes at midnight and I usually get to the hotel right around then. The check in staff will send me to the bar to pick up a drink while they process my check in, and on numerous occasions the bartender has unlocked the bar to get me 'the usual'.
I am always greeted by everyone on staff with a 'hi miss i012609' and 'how is everything this week'.

While I don't recommend that anyone get stuck working in Cleveland (nothing personal to anyone who likes this city), I have to give kudos to the great staff that helps to make my weeks a little more bearable.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 3:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eastbay1K:
(I finally asked if he "really" knew my name, and he told me how he "remembers")</font>
Just curious,how does he remember ?
Old Mar 24, 2003, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Lurker,

would you have more detail on how the process works?
Old Mar 24, 2003, 3:51 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Premier Executive, AirTran Elite, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold VIP, Her
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fly co to see the yanks:
[B] that's really dreadful. is it the same staff that checks you in week after week or is there a bit of turnover?[B]</font>
Same staff.

Although, about a month ago I actually asked one of the guys at check-in how long it takes for him to learn a guests name and he didn't have an answer for me. Another member of the staff overheard (as I saw her look at him when he couldn't answer me) and she now says hi Mr. dbk10 every time I walk past the desk.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 4:45 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by welookgood.com:
Lurker,

would you have more detail on how the process works?
</font>
No.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Mar 24, 2003, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The particular valet in question told me that they are given a list of the day's anticipated arrivals in the morning, and so they are already expecting certain repeat guests. Also at some hotels, certain employees are just good at things. For instance, at another hotel recently, I checked in, then maybe 6 or more hours later, was by the front desk and had a simple request - I asked "do you need my room #, etc..." - she replied that she remembered my name. I was quite surprised
Old Mar 24, 2003, 11:07 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
It's interesting someone else posted about the Sheraton Cleveland Airport, since I have a similar story at the Four Points Cleveland South. I've stayed there over seventy nights in the past year and left for a while to stay with Hilton. When I returned I got a card signed by all the hotel staff welcoming me back, and they all know me by name, and my preferences (same room, 250 bonus points, etc etc). In my case, I met with the Director of Sales early on in my stay, made it clear I'd be there often, and she's taken care of me ever since.

PS -- Question about the SHeraton Cleveland Airport, off-topic -- how much is parking? Can I leave my car there for a few extra days? ANd I agree, if you gotta work in Cleveland, being treated well by the hotels is a nice bonus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.