Search

Being an individual hotel's VIP

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2003, 6:08 am

Post deleted

Last edited by nick.imrie; Oct 26, 2010 at 5:46 pm
Old Mar 28, 2003, 5:34 am
Original Member

Programs: AccorHotels finished, Honors Plat, MeliaRewards Gold, SPG dead, AF Frequence+ forever
nick.imrie, thank you very much for this very interesting information.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 6:35 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Nick, agree with above poster, that was VERY worthwhile reading...I'm getting close to those numbers at ADL and MEL Hiltons in just over 3 months, so I'll bookmark this thread for future reference.

That's what I love about FT, everybody sharing their experiences from around the world - some gems come up at times.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 5:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
I also have 'property specific' VIP status at several hotels in Asia, some Starwood as well as some non-Starwood properties. Experience is pretty much as PremEx described. I did meet with the GM's of each property after a few initial stays to discuss how many times I planned to return that year and that helped with recognition early on. I don't know how many nights/stays it would have normally taken to achieve the same VIP recognition. I've also been told that there's a list of arriving frequent guests that is posted/distributed to the hotel staff. I've had my picture taken for the 'VIP guest board' at one property which explains why I'm always greeted by name even by staff I've never seen before.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never had my picture taken (to my knowledge) at any Starwood where I was a VIP, but I have been a VIP at other non-Starwood hotels that present you with a small lapel pin (usually with hotel logo or something similar on it) to wear, so that as you move about the property, employees can single you out for special attention (like no waiting for a table at a busy restaurant, etc, etc, etc). Usually this happens at huge 5-Star mega resorts where you are a VIP.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 5:47 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
My experience is that being coded in a particular hotel, or at least a couple I know of pretty much gets you pre-booked in a suite. Also, it has helped me get in at the last minute when sold out.

In any case, it's nice to know your business is appreciated.

My guess is that each property sets its own criteria for their individual status assigned. And this is not exclusive to Starwood.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 12:24 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA GLD
Here's an interesting discussion of Starwood's VIP Preferred status, inside a press release on PRNewswire -- http://www.prweb.com/releases/2002/12/prweb53273.php

Some choice quotes from the press release:

"According to a recent issue of Fast Company “Berra is an ambitious guy, so it's no surprise that his goal is to snag the ultimate Preferred Guest: “The president and first lady recently stayed in the St. Regis in Beijing,” he says. “I'd like to make them VIP members.” (of the Starwood Preferred Guest Program, where the highest level the non-elite can achieve is Platinum unless you receive an invitation by the Chairman, Mr. Sternlicht, or own a hotel where you can receive $5,000 upgrades).

So, is the Chairman not really the one who issue the coveted VIP Preferred status as Marlene Rose-Clarke, Manager of Consumer Affairs, in the Executive Division of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide has said repeatedly to customers...?"

"Unconfirmed reports have hinted that Ms. Abigail Johnson of Fidelity Investments whose shareholders own over eight percent of Starwood stock has a VIP Preferred card as do many golfing buddies of Mr. Sternlicht..."

So, perhaps the previous (half?) joking suggestion to befriend Mr. Sternlicht, and become part of his morning golf foursome isn't a bad angle for gaining VIP Preferred status after all? :-D
Old Apr 25, 2003, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Old Apr 25, 2003, 8:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nick.imrie:
I have worked at Sheraton reservations in a European city, using the Fidelio system.

As we were instructed, you officially became a frequent guest after 5 stays, which gave a VIP level corresponding to some basic amenities - bowl of fruit and a few drinks. However, this level was still below the VIP level for Plat SPG members. For guests staying with us more often, the service provided for that guests will vary considerably depending on the needs of the guest. Fidelio can be programmed with the guest's favorite rooms (just mention it and someone should input it) as well as other preferences. Complete history of your stays is accessible through the system, and good front office and guest relations managers should constantly update your profile with concerns you've had, what you've liked and not liked etc so that your next stay can be as smooth as possible. Certain preferences can be uploaded to the hotel system from SPG. Guest Relations are usually in charge of making sure that as a frequent guest you get the attention you deserve and want. As for room upgrades, you certainly are entitled to one (subject to availability) as SPG Plat, but anything above and beyond this (and due to your individual relationship with the hotel) will be done with caution because once a guest sees a suite at a hotel, they'll never be quite as content with a standard room on their subsequent stays. So suite upgrades for a frequent guest must be well thought out, because in all probability, and when possible, this will be the arrangement for your subsequent stays.

Please keep in mind that this was what I subjectively observed at the particular hotel I stayed at.

VIP 2, at the hotel I worked at anyway, was designation for Plat SPG. VIP 1 was guests staying in the speciality suites, guests pointed out by the GM, or guests that required very particular attention. VIP 3 was Gold SPG and VIP 4 was frequent guests (over 5 stays). After that VIP levels work with particular circumstances relating to your stay (birthday/children etc).

I hope this provides some insight, but as I stress, this may not be policy at all other hotels, and this was some time ago so may not be effective policy now.

cheers, nick
</font>
wow, an extremely interesting post ! Thanks Nick !

Does anyone know if the process is similar here in the US as Nick states he was "in a european city " ?

Cheers
J
Old Apr 25, 2003, 9:10 pm

I work part-time for a major chain (ITS NOT SPG). SPG might have something different than what I am going to describe but I am sure that they are similar in some regards.

First off A LOT depends on each individal hotel and the guest recognition program each hotel has.

To become a 'VIP' at our hotel is to stay more than once. It is quite easy to see if a guest has stayed more than once using not the normal reservation system but a 'guest profile based system'. Every morning reports are posted on the guest list at the hotel and those who we are expecting to check in. It says if it is a guests first time at our property or if they are a repeat guest with the amount of nights they have stayed previously at the property. At check in when the guests gives us their name a prompt comes up and we say "Mr or Mrs Doe thank you for coming back and staying with us." Then they are presented with a personalized letter from the GM. Then as a check-in agent you are allowed to use discression to give them some 'VIP' comps. Obviously if it is your second night at the hotel your not going to get a dinner for two at the restaurant but I usually give em a free in room movie. We have some guest who have stayed 100+ nights at the property usually recognize them ASAP and you are free to give them more comps and VIP privelages such as Upgraded rooms and Dinner for two free. We have an excellent GM and he tells us to use 'common sense' giving the comps. In my mind if you stay 100+ nights at the property you should get a little more than a free in-room movie. Some of these VIPs are not part of our elite program for some reason (we have a lady who has stayed at our property 50+ times and IS NOT a member of our elite program). So VIP status at an individual property does not always mean you are a top tier elite with that program however if you are that helps even more. I make sure to ALWAYS recognize elite status no matter how many times you have stayed at our individual hotel (I wish some of the idiots I work with did the same). This system also saves individuals preferences. For example if you dont want a room on a high floor the check-in agent is suppose to note this in the system. Makes it a lot easier when the guests return. Once of course though SOME of the lazy people I work with don't take the 3 seconds to note this in the system. But I digress...

Remember to become a VIP at any specific hotel depends on each individual hotel. Each one has a different GM and a lot depends on them as well. Some GMs are complete a$$holes and others will clean the dirty rooms when housekeeping is short staffed. Each hotel has a different program to recognize repeat guests so A LOT depends on how good that system is and how well the associates are trained.

I would also like to recognize 'Starwood Lurker' for his contributions to the board. I was very happy when I heard he got the Freddie Award. I wish the people at my chain would get their thumbs out of their A$$es and have a 'Lurker' as well. I would also like to congradulate the SPG program, they cleaned house last night and rightly so.

[This message has been edited by I LOVE EWR (edited 04-25-2003).]
Old Apr 26, 2003, 12:33 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA GLD
It's also worth noting that there's a level of granularity even beneath that of Property VIP. It's possible to gain VIP status at a particular section of a property (e.g. the restaurant), but not necessarily have the status in the rest of the hotel. At least at the property where this is the case for me, this seems to be less intentional, and more a function of incompatible computer systems between the two parts of the property (the restaurant is using the OpenTable system to store customer profiles, and the front desk doesn't have access to this data, and vice versa).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.