Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Ambassador worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
I got an Ambassador for the first time this year. So far I am far from impressed. I asked her today for rates if I wanted to book a paid suite at a specific W for an upcoming stay. She came back and gave me the rates for Starpoints and paid for Wonderful rooms. No mention of a suite and of no use. I went on SPG.com and booked it myself.

I asked about an upgrade for a stay that I have today and she cut and pasted the verbiage about best room at time of check in, blah blah.

We'll see if this gets any better. If not, I'm going to ask for a replacement.
That sounds crappy. Yeah, I'd get a new one.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
My Ambassador although seems like a nice person doesn't really seem to do much more than I can do myself. I can usually get things done if I call the hotel myself and for bookings I do my own research to figure out stuff.

Honestly what's the point of a creating a profile if nothing comes out of it? I said I like firm pillows, MAGC every time, extra water, etc.; I see pictures of some of the nice stuff people get, I thought okay this will be nice. I figured if I provided all that information it would mean I expect that with all my bookings especially the ones I book through my Ambassador, but so far over the course of 26 nights, I've never gotten any of those. I mean if I ask the hotel they are usually pretty good about offering some of that stuff.

I don't even get any proactive emails, my birthday or some holiday, nope nothing. For example, if I have a hotel booked for Valentine's Day, I'm would expect to an email asking if I need help with plan. Actually I do have a hotel booked over Valentine's Day but it's for work, but I'm still curious if I'll get anything proactive.

I moved some stays last year from other programs to hit 100+ nights (because I was curious about the program), but anyways the way things are I don't see the point of going for 100 nights, might as well spread myself over two programs and get the benefit of more than one program.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by alphaod
I moved some stays last year from other programs to hit 100+ nights (because I was curious about the program), but anyways the way things are I don't see the point of going for 100 nights, might as well spread myself over two programs and get the benefit of more than one program.
Sounds as though you may need to change Ambassadors.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Sounds as though you may need to change Ambassadors.
+1

My ambassador was never doting (and I don't want to be doted upon), but accomplished everything I asked for, and always added the little surprises for me (which I would consider as "proactive"). It struck the right balance.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Got a "goodbye" email (didn't requalify) hoping my stay at a hotel in a city to which I've never been was fine???? Also listed the normal platinum benefits I would now have.
Amply capped off a year in which concierge really didn't ever do anything helpful and often made things more time consuming than it would have been without them (to the point that at the end I asked normal plat. line NOT to transfer me)
A bit envious of some of your nicer experiences, but IME I'd never do extra stays for this "service".
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
A bit envious of some of your nicer experiences, but IME I'd never do extra stays for this "service".
Well, what things were you expecting as a Plat100? Was it more of the proactiveness aspect, or just getting nice little surprises after entering your room for the first time, or both?
I think sometimes it is a matter of fit between the ambassador and the Plat100. A good ambassador will try to know you better and adjust accordingly.
But if there was something you really wished your ambassador would do more for you, there is nothing wrong with telling them so.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
Got a "goodbye" email (didn't requalify) hoping my stay at a hotel in a city to which I've never been was fine????
So, apparently someone made a mistake. It happens. You've made mistakes, haven't you?

OTOH, to the extent to which the service you received from your Ambassador wasn't good, that's a legitimate issue. My recommendation (and that of others) is to change Ambassadors if yours isn't meeting your needs.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by alphaod
My Ambassador although seems like a nice person doesn't really seem to do much more than I can do myself. I can usually get things done if I call the hotel myself and for bookings I do my own research to figure out stuff.

Honestly what's the point of a creating a profile if nothing comes out of it? I said I like firm pillows, MAGC every time, extra water, etc.; I see pictures of some of the nice stuff people get, I thought okay this will be nice. I figured if I provided all that information it would mean I expect that with all my bookings especially the ones I book through my Ambassador, but so far over the course of 26 nights, I've never gotten any of those. I mean if I ask the hotel they are usually pretty good about offering some of that stuff.

I don't even get any proactive emails, my birthday or some holiday, nope nothing. For example, if I have a hotel booked for Valentine's Day, I'm would expect to an email asking if I need help with plan. Actually I do have a hotel booked over Valentine's Day but it's for work, but I'm still curious if I'll get anything proactive.

This sounds exactly like my Ambassador - does not care, does not send holiday/birthday messages, and sent me a couple wrong emails for other customers. I spread my stays to other programs eventually and was happy with 75 nights.
estnet likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Well, what things were you expecting as a Plat100? Was it more of the proactiveness aspect, or just getting nice little surprises after entering your room for the first time, or both?
I think sometimes it is a matter of fit between the ambassador and the Plat100. A good ambassador will try to know you better and adjust accordingly.
But if there was something you really wished your ambassador would do more for you, there is nothing wrong with telling them so.
Oh little things like changing an award stay - took 5 calls, etc. The one time I actually had a real problem (hotels flexible rate was 30 day cancellation at non holiday time) another ambassador (filling in) sent me an email that I had a shorter cancellation time granted but when I got an email from the hotel with the 30 day cancel asked for clarification she was of no help at all.
So all in all (even tho I had changed ambassadors before) I found the program less useful than the many years with regular plat concierge - glad others had different experiences, but I think the original question was asking for individual opinions. I'm entitled to mine (and I've expressed my feelings by booking away rather than spg - no need to hit 100)
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
So, apparently someone made a mistake. It happens. You've made mistakes, haven't you?

OTOH, to the extent to which the service you received from your Ambassador wasn't good, that's a legitimate issue. My recommendation (and that of others) is to change Ambassadors if yours isn't meeting your needs.
I would have been happy with NO email - and had never received an email about a previous stay before (asking if it was okay, asking for feedback). I'm lifetime so very familiar with the rules and don't need reminding! I didn't appreciate another indication of the impersonal and inappropriate service that I had experienced all year.

Last edited by estnet; Feb 4, 2018 at 8:55 pm
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Not impressed

my Ambasador is hit or miss. Frustratingly so. Sometimes good at requesting upgrades. But situations like this. I asked if she could inquire about getting Platinum breakfast for 2 rooms I book at a resort - knowing one room is the rule. She contacted the property , supposedly, and said they would not make an exception. I emailed the resort with a friendly request and they responded: ok. Yea two breakfasts for two rooms for 2 adults each. So in fact she was a negative influence.
CommentatusMaximus likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
+1

Early this year, I contact my ambassador to let her now that I plan to leave 2 bags in between stays with the property in Miami. Upon check-in...sorry Sir, you can't leave our bags with you! Had to book another hotel and deal with the GM myself next morning. Two days later...told we would arrive late morning in another property. Arrived at 11.30am, to be told room would only be ready at 2pm, basic upgrade...for a property not even fully booked.

Funny, I did not mention any of this to my ambassador, and I get an email the same day telling my ambassador had been relocated to another market!

Why ask me which kind of wine I like, if in over 40 stays, I receive....wine twice! I'm a big boy, I can book my own restaurants.

Put it simply.....Plat25 is amazing...and we hope it will stay. Ambassador level is ridiculous....like if they were telling us, now you made it to 100...it's time you go to see the competition!

Sad, but that's my feeling....
estnet, JBauer and RafKa like this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I had the program for years. Changed ambassadors 4 times. Still couldn't get anything worthy out of it. So last year I stopped at P75. I did keep it in the "family" though as most of the extra nights I would've spent at Starwood were spent at Marriott. I'd much prefer some other benefit at P100 (a choice of personal Ambassador or something else). Some do love their Ambassadors and they should have the right to stay with them. But for those of us that don't we should get a choice of something else. Sort of like the P50 benefit choice.
estnet likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maisondubonheur
Early this year, I contact my ambassador to let her now that I plan to leave 2 bags in between stays with the property in Miami. Upon check-in...sorry Sir, you can't leave our bags with you!
Bad business decision by the hotel. Allowing a guest to leave his/her bags guarantees that the guest will return to the property. Some percentage of those guests will get hungry and eat at the property, or meet a friend for a drink ("I have to go to XYZ Hotel anyway to get my bags, -- let's just meet there") even if all they're doing is picking up their bags. Also reduces the probability that a guest in your situation will decide to change hotels for the second stay. Silly, silly, silly management.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
So I have a question on what Ambassadors can access... The one assigned to me has been helpful, useful, and friendly. But often, I find the rates she's quoting me are higher than what my corporate Concur site is reflecting. IE: $173 vs $160 for a suite for instance. I asked if she was using my corporate codes, and if her price was including something else but she keeps assuring me that its the correct price.

Any thoughts? And yeah, I often just end up booking it myself via Concur and letting her handle unusual requests or last minute changes instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.