Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Ambassador worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Deleted

Last edited by frenchft; Jun 27, 2018 at 1:57 pm
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:26 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
That article you posted wasn’t about the Ambassador service.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
That article you posted wasn’t about the Ambassador service.
you are right, my mistake... but guess what... I'm pretty sure that surprises like this one are coming... marriott style imho.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by frenchft
https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/06/27/...s/?omhide=true

Worst and worst... ambassador was useless but now it's totally a non sense. RIP SPG100... Congrats Marriott for that!
uhhh, what do ambassadors have to do with platinum concierge lines, and marriot customer service?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by stant
uhhh, what do ambassadors have to do with platinum concierge lines, and marriot customer service?
I have removed it, my mistake, it was related to spg concierge.
Anyway my feeling is :
1. ambassador SPG100 is poor now and with Marriott it can be better.
2. Marriott support is the worst in the industry : took them 1 month to answer an email (platinum) last month (vs 3 hours for SPG).

I hope I'm wrong, but marriott is all about mass market, middle management road warrior with per diem and middle class families. I'm pretty sure we will regret the SPG support and even the poor SPG ambassador service!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:17 pm

The article has a little to do with the ambassador service - at the very end "Considering how bad service I have received from my Ambassador, I am sure that they are forbidden to use their phones too"
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I'd be very curious what he/she discusses.
Typically it is getting to know the member, their preferences, quirks/quarks, wants/needs, lifestyle (if they so choose to divulge), etc. etc. etc.

One example is that mine found out that I am a Scotch fan (of specific brands and ages)... so once in awhile a bottle of Scotch would be waiting for me in my room after checking in. That's just one of many examples of how that meet/greet discussion info has been used.

Last edited by yyznomad; Jun 27, 2018 at 8:30 pm
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:29 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Typically it is getting to know the member, their preferences, quirks/quarks, wants/needs, lifestyle (if they so choose to divulge), etc. etc. etc.

One example is that mine found out that I am a Scotch fan (of specific brands and ages)... so once in awhile a bottle of Scotch would be waiting for me in my room after checking in. That's just one of many examples of how that meet/greet discussion info has been used.
All that plus she asked about the dates of both my husband’s and my birthday, our anniversary and my preferred credit card (and permission) if she needed to make a reservation that required a credit card on my behalf.

We confirmed that I typically prefer to make my own reservations unless booking on points when I need a rep to help me with Specialty Select and Suite bookings. Having a reliable point person (pun intended) for those reservations instead of trusting the luck of the draw on the SPG Platinum line has already proved valuable.

So far I am very pleased.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by damon88

All that plus she asked about the dates of both my husband’s and my birthday, our anniversary and my preferred credit card (and permission) if she needed to make a reservation that required a credit card on my behalf.

We confirmed that I typically prefer to make my own reservations unless booking on points when I need a rep to help me with Specialty Select and Suite bookings. Having a reliable point person (pun intended) for those reservations instead of trusting the luck of the draw on the SPG Platinum line has already proved valuable.

So far I am very pleased.
Sounds like you're off to a good start.

I've reported here before that I've received gifts on/for my birthday (for example, a leather monogrammed passport/boarding pass/card holder), with a personal message from my ambassador, so definitely YMMV.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad

it's more an exception than a rule. Used to be this way years ago, now, receive an email for welcome is the Rule, nothing more.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by maisondubonheur
For your info, just learnt they have a grand total of 247 ambassadors. Wondering how many PLAT100 each take cares of. I made Ambassador level last year on my way to LTP...like many other, I'm way less than impressed. Obviously, no contact by my Ambassador for my birthday too!

So like many people, I'll be happy with PLAT 75 in the future, and putting all extra nights somewhere else.

Won't miss my Ambassador for sure....had two of them, I politely would give them a 3/10! Sad, as I believe Platinum level is top notch with Starwood. Crazy to think they make us truly happy till you reach that 100 nights...
That's a lot more than the number of My Hyatt Concierges there are for Globs (60/55 nights OR a revenue requirement).
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:36 pm
cxn

I’ve earned AMB status since it came out as a real program. Of course they had issues in the beginning and all the commercials about how they had cars waiting for them, it was like being in a secret group, special events never happened. What did happen was more little things. Snacks and drinks in he room, introduction to the manager almost everytime I checked in, esp overseas, what do I like, etc. today, I use the service to ask or fix things. I don’t get my Make a Green Choice. I’m going to xyz hotel and I prefer this type of room. I forgot something, please have the hotel hold it for me. I’m traveling with my kids, can we make sure we get close rooms with two beds per room.

I was disappointed with my stay at the St Regis in Kauai. I emailed them, wanted to get an great suite and felt the msg was, we got you. I read all the reviews online of plats being upgraded and in the end got two standard rooms. They were next to each other but my expeditions were not met based on the feedback.

Today it is a general queue. I am happy someone answers the emails and are professional. I can send a quick note and they do follow through. I no longer have any thought something will happen unless I make a request.

As to to getting a gift. A friend of mine got sent a robe and I was like what am I doing wrong to not get anything. They did send me one but not because they did it but because I asked, why did my friend xxx who I brought in with less nights get this and I haven’t seen anything.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by cxn
As to to getting a gift. A friend of mine got sent a robe and I was like what am I doing wrong to not get anything. They did send me one but not because they did it but because I asked, why did my friend xxx who I brought in with less nights get this and I haven’t seen anything.
My understanding is that this is up to the actual individual ambassador to do; it's not a program thing. I expect that the ambassadors have budgets for this sort of thing.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA silver, Jetblue Mosaic
Gonna probably end up with 90 nights this year. Still undecided if I should go for 100. If anyone has any insight please let me know
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:24 pm

Just reached 100 again today (was in the past and last year just did 80+ nights). For the first time they have sent me a survey and I have filled it in... Will keep you posted about on boarding.
What is funny with this survey for people who stay 100+ nights in a Starwood property (and for most of us the same amount with other chains) it's that the survey is very "non nomadic" people oriented, but I'm also curious to see how it will look like when merged to Marriott concierge because my past experiences was from useless to waste of time (for missing nights and other things like that I found the platinum concierge more reactive).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.