Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any starwood gold referals available?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2002, 4:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: All Airline & Hotel Programs (POINT JUNKIE!)
Could an (old) SPG member - (never activated with a hotel stay - just tele pts. and credit card pts.) - use a Gold referral - planning a stay in Dec. and March.
I'd appreciate a Gold Referral - Thank you.
Old Sep 7, 2002, 5:37 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Eugene, YGM

Thx!
Old Sep 7, 2002, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I just recently signed up for SPG because I am staying at a Sheraton for 6 nights in the beginning of October. However, I have no points yet. Would the gold referral still provide the bonus points? If not, maybe I could cancel my membership and use a referral to reapply. From the previous posts, it sounds like I would be eligible for the upgrade regardless. Any suggestions/guidance would be appreciated.
Old Sep 8, 2002, 5:24 am

I also have Gold referrals if someone needs them.
Old Sep 8, 2002, 8:00 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Me too.......
Old Sep 14, 2002, 12:29 pm

I received a gold referral card, but no source code. Where can I get the source code for the card, I called and I cannot sign up until I have one.
Old Sep 14, 2002, 1:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
I have some referrals left too.
Old Sep 15, 2002, 9:42 am

I have six referrals. Send me your address and I will mail them to you.
Old Sep 15, 2002, 3:39 pm

Hi again, I still have 3 referrals left if anyone needs one! Just email me and I will send you all the info right away!
Old Sep 16, 2002, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Can such referrals help an existing (InsideFlyer subscription) member?

I do plan five stays in October.
Old Sep 16, 2002, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Member/Marriott Silver/SPG Gold/Hilton Honors Gold
I still have a few Gold Referals left. Email me if you need one. Thanks.
Old Sep 16, 2002, 9:04 am
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I also still have some left, E-mail me if interested.
Old Sep 16, 2002, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Officially, a gold referral is not applicable to an existing member.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum.../004562-2.html (fourth post from the bottom)

However, I have never stayed at a Starwood property, and became a member solely because of InsideFlyer. I could make five stays at Starwood properties by
31 October 2002, that would otherwise be at Hiltons, but would do so only if the Gold referral works.

While technically perhaps not within the rules of the promotion, my contemplated use is certainly within its spirit, as reinforced by Starwood Lurker's wink in the above link.

Alternatively, I theoretically could start a new duplicate account and eventually transfer all the points from the InsideFlyer-funded account to an airline. However, I personally will not go through that online signup process again, given the difficulty Starwood's mailing address software and pull-down menu had accepting my two-letter state/ territory code ("MP") the first time. And to me, opening a duplicate account seems more abusive. I'll just stick to the telephonic persuasion or social engineering. And if several Starwood telephone agents don't want my gold referral business, we just don't get the 5,000 points, and I go to the Hilton.

If one of you want to "take a chance," and e-mail your referral information, with details, numbers, and anything else I'll need, I'll tell you if I was successful in signing up and getting us both on the way to the 5000 points.

I appreciate the duplicate account suggestion; it's just not for me.

[Thank you Eugene, fetchem, thepla, and thesilb for your kind offers. The final outcome of my attempts to enroll in this promotion is set forth a few posts down, at the bottom of this page.]

[This message has been edited by SPN Lifer (edited 09-18-2002).]

[This message has been edited by SPN Lifer (edited 09-18-2002).]
Old Sep 16, 2002, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't know that the referral Gold cards have the number preprinted on them.

According to other referees, applying the Gold to an existing account requires opening a new account with the referral, then combining two accounts into one. Apparently, all can be done in one phone call, and "appears to be painless."

Easy for someone to say who doesn't live in a part of his country that most fellow-citizens don't even know exists. (!) Sign up was supposed to be easy, too.

If anyone has any ideas how to get the Gold card applied to an existing card without opening a new account, such as what to say to the Starwood telephone personnel, I'd appreciate either an e-mail to the non-account-related address temporarily in the above post, or a new post to this thread. If the only way around this is a duplicate account, then I reluctantly suppose that's what I'll have to do, and someone has already offered a referral.

But if you have an innovative way or suggestion on how I can get gold status for an existing account, my 5000 referral points are still available to you.
Old Sep 16, 2002, 9:12 pm

Simply call Starwood and explain your particular situation. Be straight forward and honest. Starwood wants you as a customer as much as you want them.

Honesty is the best policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.