Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Can't Transfer Membership Reward Points Without Card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million

Greetings,
Asking for some insight here...
I earned ~55K points on a Business Gold Rewards Card.
When I try to transfer the points to an airline I am requested to enter the
- CID Number
- Card Security Code

However, I no longer have the card.
Is there any way I can effect the transfer w/o getting a replacement card?

Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by AAJetMan
Greetings,
Asking for some insight here...
I earned ~55K points on a Business Gold Rewards Card.
When I try to transfer the points to an airline I am requested to enter the
- CID Number
- Card Security Code

However, I no longer have the card.
Is there any way I can effect the transfer w/o getting a replacement card?

Thank you in advance.
Question? Did you call?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Question? Did you call?
I did the online live chat (was after-hours for the phone).
Was adivsed to do a Hotel transfer to SPG since I have an SPG card.
But....wanted to check w/ the FT experts first.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
However, I no longer have the card. Is there any way I can effect the transfer w/o getting a replacement card?
You no longer have the card because you lost it, or because you cancelled it? If it's the former, you need to comply. If it's the latter, I'd be surprised if the points still existed.

If I were you, I'd be glad that Amex is implementing some sort of security to prevent a random person from cashing out your point balance.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You no longer have the card because you lost it, or because you cancelled it? If it's the former, you need to comply. If it's the latter, I'd be surprised if the points still existed.

If I were you, I'd be glad that Amex is implementing some sort of security to prevent a random person from cashing out your point balance.
I expressed my appreciation to the agent. no complaints about the policy.

The agent confirmed that the card is active.
What do you mean by "comply"?...transferring the points to the SPG card? Is there no risk in transferring the points to my SPG card? I saw something about a .33 valuation, but want full amount going ultimately to KrisFlyer.
IF you mean "comply" by submitting the codes, then I'll infer that you are stating that there are no other options. If that is certain then I could just get the card replaced.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
IF you mean "comply" by submitting the codes, then I'll infer that you are stating that there are no other options. If that is certain then I could just get the card replaced.
I'd personally hope there are no other options, because anything else would bypass security. Using SPG as a middleman would probably result in a loss of value for you.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:57 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
If I understand your situation correctly you want to transfer your AMEX MR points to Krisflyer. If you do it via SPG you will lose 2/3 of your points as 1000 MR points gets you 333 SPG points. Don't know why the chat rep would even suggest it.

You should be able to call in and do the transfer by phone.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ken98230
If I understand your situation correctly you want to transfer your AMEX MR points to Krisflyer. If you do it via SPG you will lose 2/3 of your points as 1000 MR points gets you 333 SPG points. Don't know why the chat rep would even suggest it.

You should be able to call in and do the transfer by phone.
Ah! And THAT is why I take it to the experts!
Thank you...will give them a call.

FOLLOW-UP....Agent would not proceed w/o the card's code. :-(
FOLLOW-FOLLOW-UP....2nd agent was able to effect the change...had to send me a temporary pwd.

Last edited by AAJetMan; Aug 30, 2015 at 4:09 pm
Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Just had similar issue when I cancelled a Diners Club card (remember those?) Lost access to my online account, even though I have 90 days from date of cancellation of card to use up my (many) rewards. Called in, and with persistence got transferred to someone who could open the account for the limited purpose of redeeming the points. She asked for card number and cvv, which I did not have, but was satisfied with SSN, birthdate, and security password.

So - try calling again, ask for supervisor, and do it quickly in case there's an expiration date on those points!
Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lskohn
Just had similar issue when I cancelled a Diners Club card (remember those?) Lost access to my online account, even though I have 90 days from date of cancellation of card to use up my (many) rewards. Called in, and with persistence got transferred to someone who could open the account for the limited purpose of redeeming the points. She asked for card number and cvv, which I did not have, but was satisfied with SSN, birthdate, and security password.

So - try calling again, ask for supervisor, and do it quickly in case there's an expiration date on those points!
Thank you. Yep, 2nd try worked! :-)
I've updated my prior post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.