Wiki Posts
Search

who makes that W mattress, anyway ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2002, 9:53 am
Original Member
Original Poster

who makes that W mattress, anyway ?

You know what I am talking about: That awesome bed at the W and many Westin hotels.

I am going to buy most of the bedding from W Hotels, but what about the mattress? W sells it for $875 delivered. That does not sound very special. Does anyone know who makes the W mattress ? Sealy, Simmons, etc. What should I buy to mimic the fabulous bed ?

Thanks.

------------------
Old Mar 3, 2002, 10:01 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I have a Sealy King matress with the Pillowtop 'cushion'. It cost $1600 delivered and is worth every penny. Add in the thick sheets, down comforter, duvet, down stuffed pillows, etc. and it's well over $2000. A modest investment for something you'll spend 30%(or more!) of the year sleeping on. Your back will be very thankful.

While I really enjoy the W and Westin beds, nothing beats a good night's sleep in my own.

You might find even softer matresses at your local bedding store. I believe a lot of the comfort in those Starwood beds are in the sheets and comforters, so my advice is to get yourself a good matress locally and then maybe buy the sheet/comforter set from the Westin or W catalog.
Old Mar 3, 2002, 10:12 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/001841.html
Old Mar 3, 2002, 10:25 am
Original Member
Original Poster

>>>my advice is to get yourself a good matress locally and then maybe buy the sheet/comforter set from the Westin or W catalog. <<<

Essentially, that is what I want to do. But, I have added a featherbed to my current bed, and it is just not the same thing as the W. So, I would like to understand what type of mattress W uses, so I do not make another mistake.

------------------
Old Mar 3, 2002, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JGill:
&gt;&gt;&gt;... I have added a featherbed to my current bed, and it is just not the same thing as the W. </font>
I have a featherbed too. Part of the problem may be that the featherbed gets compacted very quickly when you sleep on it mine does. When I fluff mine up it is like sleeping on a cloud... but it only lasts for a night or two. The W bed gets freshly made EVERY DAY, so the feathers are probably fluffed up each day too.
Old Mar 4, 2002, 6:50 am
Original Member
Original Poster

To be clear on my inquiry, I would like to know what type (firm, plush, pillow-top) of mattress the W Hotels use and what brand (Sealy, Simmons, King Koil, etc.) if possible.

Thanks again.

------------------
Old Mar 4, 2002, 11:08 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JGill:
To be clear on my inquiry, I would like to know what type (firm, plush, pillow-top) of mattress the W Hotels use and what brand (Sealy, Simmons, King Koil, etc.) if possible.

Thanks again.
</font>
Not sure about W, but Westin's Heavenly Bed is custom made by Simmons.
Old Mar 6, 2002, 7:00 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Old Mar 7, 2002, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM - Bad upgrade luck. "...Diamond in the back... Diggin the scene with a gangsta lean..."
Eugene is right - every time I have peeled back the dressing and looked at the label at a Westin or a W, it has been a Simmons Beautyrest.
Old Mar 9, 2002, 12:03 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Simmons Beautyrest. Gotcha. Now, thinking about the W bed with the feather mattress add-on, does the W bed have a built-in pillowtop as well ? I believe the Westin bed does.

Thanks

------------------
Old Mar 11, 2002, 3:10 pm

Programs: CX MPC Silver, Aeroplan, SPG Platinum, Hyatt
Yes, the Westin's mattress is from Simmons, and surprisingly, so is the 'W'. Westin's has a pillowtop, but the W's doesn't. I still find the W bed to me more comfortable, somehow.

Would be curious to know if anyone was tried to duplicate the W bed successfully at home to the same comfort level though. Thinking of doing the same thing. Would ANY Simmons mattress do, or does it have to be the one that W sells?

The 4 Seasons uses Sealy mattresses.
Old Mar 11, 2002, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, SPG LTG, AA, LH
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jetsethotel:
Would be curious to know if anyone was tried to duplicate the W bed successfully at home to the same comfort level though. Thinking of doing the same thing.</font>
Would like to second jetsethotel's question. I called the Westin Hotels at Home people and the total for a King comes to about $3000. 1300 for the mattress set, 1450 for linnens, pillows, duvet, et al., 175 for shipping the bed and 100 for shipping the bedware. This is before tax.

Thanks much.
Old Mar 11, 2002, 9:20 pm

When I was looking at a wide range of hotel mattresses, I figured out that each major chain basically has their mattress "custom made" for them. However, the "custom" part is basically a variation on a base mattress that the mattress company sells to the public.

For example, the Palace Hotel in NYC uses a "custom made" Sealy. It turns out that you can buy the Hotel Deluxe Sealy from a wide range of outlets; they just put a custom label on the Palace's mattresses.
Old Mar 11, 2002, 9:52 pm

I recently got a Sterns and Foster Bainbridge model and am very happy with it. It has a pillowtop but is not too fluffy. I paid about $1100 for a queen size on sale at Macys. I think they are always on sale.

Jay
Old Mar 11, 2002, 10:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
Worth a read:

http://www.kiplinger.com/magazine/ar...nding/home.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.