Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your thoughts on worst SPG hotel in SE Asia?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 12:25 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
i received a room with mold everywhere over the couch and curtains at the laguna.... Can't say the breakfast was that great either... we were coming from the Stones...

It was the worst Luxury Collection experience we had ever :]
Old May 21, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
When I read the title the first that came to my head is: Singapore.

After reading through I will a agree with:
-Sheraton Hanoi
-Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu

I should add that I stayed in suites at all 3, I can't imagine the standard rooms.
Old May 21, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by YOWzer
When I read the title the first that came to my head is: Singapore.
Didn't know it was that bad here, thought the W and Westin should be okay.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sheraton Singapore, Sheraton Hong Kong, the Sheraton in Tokyo (in this case, bad location and sad looking building).

The LC Hongta in Shanghai has been on quite a downward trajectory, although its level still isn't the worst.
stayed at the LC Hongta on my first trip to Shanghai, the only bad thing i could say about it was the location, everthing else made it an enjoyable stay
Old May 22, 2015, 12:49 am

was planning to stay at Laguna Bali before reading this thread. guess i change my plan
Old May 22, 2015, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fivenue
was planning to stay at Laguna Bali before reading this thread. guess i change my plan
I wouldn't change your mind base on one persons bad experience. I checked out the Laguna when I was staying at the Westin next door (to include taking a look at some of their rooms).

If I didn't have kids I would choose the Laguna over the Westin. While the westin was packed with families and difficult at times to find beach space the Laguna was quite and plenty of space.

Even though it was only a tour I don't see how the Laguna is anywhere as bad as LM KK or Sheraton Hanoi. I don't think it should be mentioned as worst in SE Asia but only my opinion.
Old May 22, 2015, 5:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by moyeung
stayed at the LC Hongta on my first trip to Shanghai, the only bad thing i could say about it was the location, everthing else made it an enjoyable stay
It was much better about eight or ten years ago (and a bunch of general managers ago), when it was a StR. Then it had a very residential feel, distinctly Chinese, but the property also seeemed relatively new and fresh. Then it was a favorite of some fairly long-term foreign business travelers. The lounge was better at that time and featured a chef's demonstration cooking station every evening. However, IMO the location has improved in the last decade with a greater choice of subway lines and the general development in the direction of the Shanghai Expo grounds.
Old May 22, 2015, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
Even though it was only a tour I don't see how the Laguna is anywhere as bad as LM KK or Sheraton Hanoi. I don't think it should be mentioned as worst in SE Asia but only my opinion.

With all due respect, I still don't really understand the point of this thread :P. Opinions are so subjective, how are you going to glean anything really useful here? Eg see what you just wrote above?

You obviously travel a lot in SEA. So do I. A quick count shows I've stayed in 32 of the SEA *Wood hotels, quite a few more than once.

I don't know if you agree with me, but I think I would say that the service standard is pretty good across the board. This probably relates to the thread about service standards being different in the USA vs Asia. I have yet to come across a hotel in SEA where the service was below par. Of course there are those where the service is above and beyond, but mostly it's good (enough).

So, to me, the only real thing to compare is the hard product, followed by the SPG benefit hit-ratio. The hard product is fairly easy to compare. The SPG benefit thing is harder to assess - witness the numerous threads on FT.

Asking for the worst SPG property is such a subjective thing, and the word "worst" is so emotive and evocative. I don't think I'd dare to say I have a worst. But I have some locations which I wouldn't go again, given a choice.

For example, I personally would never stay at the Laguna again, and would choose the Westin over the Laguna any day. And I would definitely rank the Sheraton Hanoi above the Laguna.

Btw, you mentioned the Sheraton Hanoi's location. It's built on the banks of West Lake, some of the most expensive real estate in Hanoi (so I was told). Not ideal for a sightseeing tourist but certainly I can imagine that the owners thought it was a great piece of land to build a hotel.

I dunno, maybe a better way to ask this would be:

Which SPG hotel I would not stay in again in SEA, and why.

OK, getting off soapbox now

Last edited by travelswithmyself; May 22, 2015 at 12:39 pm
Old May 22, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Another vote for Sheraton Singapore. Enough said.

Worst SPG hotel in SE Asia in terms of SPG Plat Recognition: W Bangkok. The hotel hardware is fine. But from my experience, they treat Plats as if they do not exist, encouraging Plats to stay elsewhere. And I know my experience is not alone as there were similar reports. Unless the management has seen changes... and things are better?
Old May 22, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA MM, SPG Plat, SQ PPS
Agree this thread is totally subjective, but it's fun to read. For me, the worst SPG property in the region is ROS in BKK. Big, old, nasty convention/tour group place with zero personality, decrepit bathrooms and seriously in need of a major facelift.

The SPG property that's pi#$ed me off the most that I will never return to: SR SIN. Attitude, lies about upgrades (told me twice I was upgraded to the exact same room I booked), pathetic platinum recognition (happy hour location and service is a slap in the face to platinums everywhere). My company is based in SIN, I can pretty much stay wherever I want, but I usually end up at the Sheraton. It, like me, is showing its age, but I always seem to get a warm welcome, ok platinum recognition and once in every 10 stays or so, a suite upgrade. It's like a comfortable old shoe. Pool is great.

I personally like the LM in Kota Kinabalu, but I stay there when working in Brunei; the hotels in Bandar make it seem like a palace and at least there's alcohol and edible food. Well worth the daily commute.

All in all, I'm happy with SPG in the region...way happier than I would be in the US or LatAm.
Old May 23, 2015, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
I wouldn't change your mind base on one persons bad experience. I checked out the Laguna when I was staying at the Westin next door (to include taking a look at some of their rooms).

If I didn't have kids I would choose the Laguna over the Westin. While the westin was packed with families and difficult at times to find beach space the Laguna was quite and plenty of space.

i avoided westin and stayed at w last time. i was expecting kids free environment, but no success.

i've been researching laguna or st regis for my next stay, but based on my findings, i'm more inclined to stR
Old May 23, 2015, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by ZenWorld

Worst SPG hotel in SE Asia in terms of SPG Plat Recognition: W Bangkok. The hotel hardware is fine. But from my experience, they treat Plats as if they do not exist, encouraging Plats to stay elsewhere. And I know my experience is not alone as there were similar reports. Unless the management has seen changes... and things are better?
they encourage plat to stay elsewhere?
wow...
we need lurkers here to set them right
Old May 23, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ZenWorld

Ive stayed at the W Bangkok twice. First time upgraded to a junior suite and second time used SNA to a Marvelous Suite. Both times got breakfast and 500 points. The only thing they are stingy on is no happy hour.
Old May 23, 2015, 1:31 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
The purpose of this thread for me is to get ideas of where to stay (though with low expectations), as opposed to where not to stay.
Old May 23, 2015, 1:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fivenue
i avoided westin and stayed at w last time. i was expecting kids free environment, but no success.

i've been researching laguna or st regis for my next stay, but based on my findings, i'm more inclined to stR
Laguna will have kids (just not in the lagoon access rooms), but not as many as the Westin IME.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.