FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Your thoughts on worst SPG hotel in SE Asia? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1680782-your-thoughts-worst-spg-hotel-se-asia.html)

kmcbrid2 May 18, 2015 8:24 am

Your thoughts on worst SPG hotel in SE Asia?

Like to hear what other FT's opinion on worst SPG hotels in SE Asia.

For me it is difficult since even a bad SPG hotel in SE Asia might still be considered a good experience if the hotel was in the US.

I have not stayed at any Four Points, W's, SR or elements in SE Asia; only Sheraton's, Westins, LM, a few luxury properties and 1 aloft.

Mine:
LM Kota Kinabulu- This one is tough and I might change my mind if the hotel has completed much needed renovation on the rooms.
Upgraded to a suite but still dated and disappointed.
Pool was cold and you could smell the fish market below.

I probably would return if the rooms were renovated.

Sheraton Hanoi-
Just a sad property for me. Rooms were old and service was Meh. Not in a good location. Wish SPG would open another hotel in Hanoi.

I would actually choose another hotel chain rather than stay at the Sheraton Hanoi again.

I hope these remain my only two SPG hotels on the same list.

How about yours?

MSPeconomist May 18, 2015 12:22 pm

Sheraton Singapore, Sheraton Hong Kong, the Sheraton in Tokyo (in this case, bad location and sad looking building).

The LC Hongta in Shanghai has been on quite a downward trajectory, although its level still isn't the worst.

MAN Flyer May 18, 2015 3:13 pm

Sheraton Singapore. But the old LM Singapore gave it a run for its money...

gojko88 May 18, 2015 4:02 pm

Four Points Langkawi? Haven't stayed there myself, but it gets consistently horrible reviews.

travelswithmyself May 18, 2015 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by gojko88 (Post 24835181)
Four Points Langkawi? Haven't stayed there myself, but it gets consistently horrible reviews.

Not really fair if you haven't stayed there yourself...

kmcbrid2 May 18, 2015 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 24834062)
Sheraton Singapore, Sheraton Hong Kong, the Sheraton in Tokyo (in this case, bad location and sad looking building).

The LC Hongta in Shanghai has been on quite a downward trajectory, although its level still isn't the worst.

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer (Post 24834958)
Sheraton Singapore. But the old LM Singapore gave it a run for its money...

I've stayed at the Sheraton Sin a couple of times and it didn't stick in my mind as top of my worst for SE Asia. Over priced for what it offered yes but rooms were nice and lounge was fine.

Haven't stayed at Sheraton Hong Kong but would think that this would have to be one of the flagships, especially considering the prices.

whimike May 19, 2015 12:37 am

Hmmm... I have stayed at the Sheraton Hong Kong several times, and I didn't think it was bad at all.

Originally Posted by kmcbrid2 (Post 24832727)
Sheraton Hanoi-
Just a sad property for me. Rooms were old and service was Meh. Not in a good location. Wish SPG would open another hotel in Hanoi.

I would actually choose another hotel chain rather than stay at the Sheraton Hanoi again.

I walked through the Sheraton Hanoi, and indeed it is old and meh. I was staying next door at the Intercontinental Hanoi, which was fantastic.

jpdx May 19, 2015 1:17 am

Sheraton Singapore, Sheraton Hong Kong, the Sheraton in Tokyo (in this case, bad location and sad looking building.)

Oh come on, none of these are anywhere near the worst SPG hotels in Asia. Sheraton Singapore gets a lot of bad reviews here, but given their low rates (in a high price city), it isn't horrible (fwiw, I think the cabanas are great upgrades for a city hotel). Tokyo has a sub-optimal location but isn't a bad hotel, and benefits are pretty good. And if you look at the "where to stay in HK" threads, you'll find that quite a few people pick the Sheraton over LM and W HK.

It's hard to name an absolute worst in Asia; even a bad Asian hotel will be better than an average North American hotel. My top three of bad Asian hotels -in terms of run-downness, poor elite benefits, etc- are Sheraton Yokohama, LM KK, and Sheraton Hanoi. However, none of these were so bad that I'd absolutely refuse to stay there again, but I'm definitely not enthusiastic to return. (Add to that a half dozen hotels where I had bad experiences and wouldn't stay again, but it's probably more of a "it's not you, it's me" thing: Sheraton Macau, Westin Bali, LM Phuket, W Walkerhill, LM Siem Reap, aloft Foshan).

remymartin May 19, 2015 3:22 am

Is this thread really going to be useful to anyone?

craz May 19, 2015 5:53 am

Originally Posted by remymartin (Post 24837210)

Sure to those who :td: the hotel for whatever reason even if it wasnt a terrible hotel, could be they werent upgraded or who knows why.By posting the name the person feels they will stop others from boking it and thusly get even with that hotel.

Otherwise when there are mixed views as is the case with most hotels, it doesnt do anything,IMO

Life_Platinum May 19, 2015 6:23 am

For me it is The Laguna, a Luxury Collection property in Nusa Dua Bali. My choice is based upon the room I received as well as the property and how I was treated as an Life Platinum. I have stayed at the Hong Kong Sheraton twice, the Hanoi Sheraton three times, and the Sheraton Shanghai and was treated well at these properties. At The Laguna, a former Sheraton, I was given a room in the bowels of the hotel after rejecting a room on the top floor.

LuisHK May 21, 2015 4:51 am

I think it would be interesting data points for me.

Stayed in quite a few mediocre SPG hotels in the region, but hardly poor - sometimes it's simply undesirable in comparison to other options.

kmcbrid2 May 21, 2015 5:19 am

lets keep the thread focused on the hard and soft product, not how bad you were treated as a gold/PLT .

jaejaez May 21, 2015 8:48 am

Reading different people's views on the different hotels is always useful, irrespective of whether I agree with those views or not. :)

margarita girl May 21, 2015 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Life_Platinum (Post 24837620)
For me it is The Laguna, a Luxury Collection property in Nusa Dua Bali. My choice is based upon the room I received as well as the property and how I was treated as an Life Platinum. I have stayed at the Hong Kong Sheraton twice, the Hanoi Sheraton three times, and the Sheraton Shanghai and was treated well at these properties. At The Laguna, a former Sheraton, I was given a room in the bowels of the hotel after rejecting a room on the top floor.

I had an amazing upgrade at Laguna, Luxury Collection. Buffet breakfast was excellent. I recommend that everyone should stay there.