Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So is check-in at 3 or isn't it?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by TimesTwo
Thank you. I certainly thought about posting it but I wanted to give them time to respond. They did and I'm satisfied that my experience was an anomaly. Also, I'm the public face of my company when I'm traveling and I don't exactly want to burn bridges, even for a customer service fail, with a hotel I plan to do business with in the future. The sales manager very nicely said they want to do better next time if I decide to use them again. And for my needs in that city, the property works well for me.
Totally understandable. I am happy you got the matter resolved to your satisfaction. And the comment you being a lady and travelling alone, not divulging to much information online is the right thing to do.
Old May 17, 2015, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The OP seems satisfied, but I'm left with the feeling that the hotel thinks it's OK not to give an arriving elite a room until long past the check in time with no apology or anything, but because of the OP's "VIP" status from the sales representative and history of regularly booking meetings here, they somehow have apologized to the OP and won't threat the OP this way again. I'd be much happier if the hotel had realized that this isn't the way to treat *any* elite guest or more generally *any* guest at all, with any such victim deserving an apology and some customer service gesture.
Old May 17, 2015, 11:18 pm

I agree the situation could have been handled better.
That said, the guaranteed 4pm checkout for GOLD and above "might" be at stake if too many hotels mishandles this and it becomes an issue. Really, training aside, it boils down to inventory. Late check-out vs on-time / early check-in crowd. Training only goes so far if the hotel has high occupancy and popular amongst Elites.
Old May 17, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by PayItForward
I agree the situation could have been handled better.
That said, the guaranteed 4pm checkout for GOLD and above "might" be at stake if too many hotels mishandles this and it becomes an issue. Really, training aside, it boils down to inventory. Late check-out vs on-time / early check-in crowd. Training only goes so far if the hotel has high occupancy and popular amongst Elites.
It just baffles me that all rooms that were occupied had elite members in them with a guaranteed 4 pm checkout. I'm sure there is at least one room here or there. It also baffles me that the OP still has not mentioned the hotel's name.
Old May 18, 2015, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
She's not going to and I'm afraid I'm left feeling that I've received nothing worthwhile from this thread (and have now unsubscribed from it).
Old May 18, 2015, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
It just baffles me that all rooms that were occupied had elite members in them with a guaranteed 4 pm checkout. I'm sure there is at least one room here or there.
Q. "Would you also make Obama wait around or would you find a room for him?"
A. "Weeell, we surely would find something for the President"
Q. "Well, he's not coming, so I'll take that room"
Old May 18, 2015, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Q. "Would you also make Obama wait around or would you find a room for him?"
A. "Weeell, we surely would find something for the President"
Q. "Well, he's not coming, so I'll take that room"

I do realize now that I should've suggested myself that I be put into another room while I waited for mine. Again, at first, it didn't seem like a big deal to wait a bit (I assumed - incorrectly - that it wouldn't be a long wait) and it's one of those situations that just got progressively weirder as the afternoon went on.

And again to be clear, I wrote the first post as I finally got into my room at close to 5. My intent was to see if others agreed that the situation wasn't handled appropriately (since no one at the hotel or the platinum concierge seemed to think it was a problem) before I followed up with the hotel. Since I was the only one seeing a problem, I wanted input from others who travel a lot and could give me perspective if I was missing it. It's not like I posted after the fact to bash the hotel and now I'm not giving up the info.

Thanks again for the feedback, especially the FD people for giving your perspective.
Old May 18, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro

And again to be clear, I wrote the first post as I finally got into my room at close to 5. My intent was to see if others agreed that the situation wasn't handled appropriately (since no one at the hotel or the platinum concierge seemed to think it was a problem) before I followed up with the hotel. Since I was the only one seeing a problem, I wanted input from others who travel a lot and could give me perspective if I was missing it.
If something bothers you enough to warrant a desire to start a FT thread, then contact property management.

A bunch of misinformed (and likely misguided) posts from silly FTers should not change what matters: it bothered YOU.
Old May 18, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
......... as a 5'1" woman often traveling alone, I don't like posting publicly information about where I'm at, despite being mostly anonymous here.

I don't see the relevance of your height to the naming of a hotel. Nobody is asking for your room #.
Old May 18, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I do realize now that I should've suggested myself that I be put into another room while I waited for mine. Again, at first, it didn't seem like a big deal to wait a bit (I assumed - incorrectly - that it wouldn't be a long wait) and it's one of those situations that just got progressively weirder as the afternoon went on.

And again to be clear, I wrote the first post as I finally got into my room at close to 5. My intent was to see if others agreed that the situation wasn't handled appropriately (since no one at the hotel or the platinum concierge seemed to think it was a problem) before I followed up with the hotel. Since I was the only one seeing a problem, I wanted input from others who travel a lot and could give me perspective if I was missing it. It's not like I posted after the fact to bash the hotel and now I'm not giving up the info.

Thanks again for the feedback, especially the FD people for giving your perspective.
If my room isn't ready, I always ask the front desk person specifically whether the person has already checked out and, if not, what is their checkout time. If I don't like the answers, I next ask whether there is another room of the same type available now or very soon, etc. I've had cases where I've arrived long after the check out time, the room is still occupied, and the front desk refuses to call to check when the people are leaving.
Old May 18, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
........ I've had cases where I've arrived long after the check out time, the room is still occupied, and the front desk refuses to call to check when the people are leaving.
The front desk better NEVER call me and ask me when I'm leaving. I don't care who YOU are. To even suggest to the front desk to call a room to ask such a thing is inappropriate.
Old May 18, 2015, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by clublounger
The front desk better NEVER call me and ask me when I'm leaving. I don't care who YOU are. To even suggest to the front desk to call a room to ask such a thing is inappropriate.
Gee, you've led a very charmed existence if having remained in your room long after the check-out time the FD has never called to ask when you would be vacating the room. And to say that to ask the front desk to find out when someone who has remained long after the check-out time was actually planning on checking out is inappropriate is quite bizarre.
Old May 18, 2015, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by RichMSN
She's not going to and I'm afraid I'm left feeling that I've received nothing worthwhile from this thread (and have now unsubscribed from it).
Agreed. Its generally important to know so forum members can look at past history, when research a property pre stay.

I'm hoping the OP names the property as this information may beneficial to others.
Old May 18, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by clublounger
It's inappropriate at 3:59PM.

At 4:01PM, it's totally appropriate.
Old May 18, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I'm hoping the OP names the property as this information may beneficial to others.
+1. I think all of us may benefit, including tall people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.