Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So is check-in at 3 or isn't it?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2015, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TimesTwo
None of the three rooms were ready when we arrived at 3, none were ready when I checked again at four, none were ready at 4:30, which is when I was told that one room could be vacated soon but even rushing housekeeping, it could be another hour. And the other rooms could be 2 hours more.
At some point, the guests should be able to request to be walked if it is past check in time and the room is not available. However, the availability of nearby equivalent properties could be an issue or the guest could have reasons for wanting this particular hotel, such as group activities or dining at a special in-house restaurant.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
None of the three rooms were ready when we arrived at 3, none were ready when I checked again at four, none were ready at 4:30, which is when I was told that one room could be vacated soon but even rushing housekeeping, it could be another hour. And the other rooms could be 2 hours more.
Ok, I don't blame you for being upset. I would too! I would find it tough to believe that there were no other rooms that could accommodate at least part of your group. Sounds like their Room Czar may have dictated no changes from the room assignments and your rooms were way down on the list to be made ready. Alternate arrangements should have been made and reasonable to expect. If you are still at the property, I would suggest bringing this up with the FDM or GM. If not, try to reach them by email/phone. If they are not responsive, call SPGs CCS to file a complaint and get the file number. You can then send that to the Lurkers for followup. Also, a post on Trip Advisor may get you better traction as more people see that than FT.

You might get some more specific advise if you name the property. If this is SOP for them, some may wish to avoid future stays.
Old May 13, 2015, 12:07 pm

Hard to understand why they couldn't free up at least one of three rooms on an expedited basis, or else offer you a temporary room to change and freshen up until the others were ready. I have had this offered to me several times.

There's no easy answer vis a vis late check outs and check ins, but as you say, that's really the hotel's problem, not yours. At the very least you should be offered a nice bottle of wine, some points and/or a funnel cake...

Cheers,
Old May 13, 2015, 1:04 pm

No, I had zero preference about the rooms being together, not even on the same floor.
1st, let me say that it is an issue and it's not yours, but the hotels.

However, was this mentioned to anyone?

Most front desk employees (including me) will think that you want the rooms somewhat together. I would have offered to split your rooms up as a 1st option if there was a same category room available. If not, I'd offer a different room category. However, I've got years of experience working in hotels. Some places won't let the front desk clerks change rooms, it's done by a manager or someone more senior in the back.

Rather than making calls to people not at the hotel, I'd proactively ask if there was even at least 1 room available (even if separate or a different room category). It seems this was eventually offered by a manager.
Old May 13, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Happened to me at the IC Bangkok. They offered me another room with apologies until "my" room was ready, so that I can take a shower, rest, etc.

That's how it should be done.
iflymsy likes this.
Old May 13, 2015, 1:31 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
So, what property did this happen at TimesTwo?
Old May 13, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by wharvey
So, what property did this happen at TimesTwo?
As much as it's a problem that they did not check her in. I'm also amazed by the secrecy of the hotel's name, that is also a problem.
Old May 13, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Yes, please name and shame this place so I never have the misfortune of staying here. Absolutely inappropriate and unacceptable on a number of levels.
Old May 13, 2015, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Well not as bad as the OP but put in the comment field for a Noon checkin. Got to the Hotel today @ 1pm. Was given a room on the 3rd floor which is the lobby floor, not really up my alley, asked if there was any other room available was originally told nope, after we small talked abit he said let me check before you go, finds a room on a very high floor but says he would take the original.

left it alone and low & behold cant open the door the dead bolt is in use.Back to the FD and they said thats funny its not a connecting room, most likley someone slamed the door shut and it locked by itself, it hqappens all the time to those rooms.

Now Im dealing with a different person at the FD and I said I dont want that room least it reoccur, no problem I have room on the 9th.Funny 5 mins ago it was the 3rd or 18th. As I let them know Im not a happy camper, no DYKWIA or raising of my voice even 1 level, all of a sudden a corner room appears.

Dont these hotels understand by playing this game they tick us off and why would I want to return(Truth Ive been to a number of 4Ps that are in better shape).

Have a wedding tonight at the adjacent hotel so thats why I booked this Sher for tonight, morning flight back East.I'll be more out of the room then in it.

I did as usual say bed type not important would appreciate a high floor, yet it fell on deal ears the 1st time around.
Old May 13, 2015, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
As much as it's a problem that they did not check her in. I'm also amazed by the secrecy of the hotel's name, that is also a problem.
I don't feel comfortable naming the property as I'm still here.
Old May 13, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
I don't feel comfortable naming the property as I'm still here.
Because the GM might offer some resolution to you while you are still there...? Sounds like it might help matters, rather than make them worse.
Old May 13, 2015, 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by craz
Well not as bad as the OP but put in the comment field for a Noon checkin. Got to the Hotel today @ 1pm. Was given a room on the 3rd floor which is the lobby floor, not really up my alley, asked if there was any other room available was originally told nope, after we small talked abit he said let me check before you go, finds a room on a very high floor but says he would take the original.

left it alone and low & behold cant open the door the dead bolt is in use.Back to the FD and they said thats funny its not a connecting room, most likley someone slamed the door shut and it locked by itself, it hqappens all the time to those rooms.

Now Im dealing with a different person at the FD and I said I dont want that room least it reoccur, no problem I have room on the 9th.Funny 5 mins ago it was the 3rd or 18th. As I let them know Im not a happy camper, no DYKWIA or raising of my voice even 1 level, all of a sudden a corner room appears.

Dont these hotels understand by playing this game they tick us off and why would I want to return(Truth Ive been to a number of 4Ps that are in better shape).

Have a wedding tonight at the adjacent hotel so thats why I booked this Sher for tonight, morning flight back East.I'll be more out of the room then in it.

I did as usual say bed type not important would appreciate a high floor, yet it fell on deal ears the 1st time around.
I hate it when the front desk plays the charade of pretending that all rooms magically become available at the precise hour of the stated check in time. If there are rooms available (and clean, etc.), why not give them to someone at 2 pm when check in time is at 3? It doesn't make sense, just the same as it doesn't make sense for a hotel to deny all late check out requests as it is physically impossible for housekeepers to clean all rooms at exactly the same time.
Old May 13, 2015, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by craz

Heaven forbid that a room that was dirty get marked as clean in the time it took to get from the desk to the room back to the desk.

Heaven forbid that an unoccupied room on the 18th floor become occupied by another guest in the same time.

Not everything is a vast conspiracy out to get everyone.
Old May 14, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Aeroplan Distinction
When we were in Sydney we had three rooms booked, one for my wife and I, and one for each of our sets parents. I'm gold and all were booked through me, but the funny thing was ours was the only room out of the three not ready. It wasn't ready till 8pm, the hotel was great they sent up a bottle of wine for the delay to my father in laws room cause that's where we put our stuff.

I didn't have the heart to correct my father in law when he thought they sent up a bottle of wine for him! We had a fantastic time and the hotel went above and beyond in my mind! That was the Sheraton on the Park in Sydney
iflymsy likes this.
Old May 14, 2015, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jabbered
Heaven forbid that a room that was dirty get marked as clean in the time it took to get from the desk to the room back to the desk.

Heaven forbid that an unoccupied room on the 18th floor become occupied by another guest in the same time.

Not everything is a vast conspiracy out to get everyone.
No doubt however, I thought I said which I see I didnt. When I got off the elevator for my new room, it was at the very end of the hallway. Yes housekeeping were busy cleaning rooms. My room was the last on the right side Id estimate from the el I had to pass well over a dz rooms. The cart for housekeeping was apx 5 rooms away from mine and numerous rooms had the dead bolt placed so the room was open, usually indicates not occupied and cleaned waiting for inspection and then it gets put into the avaialble inventory.

My room was locked and needed my key to enter, if a room was cleaned but is still being occupied by that person for another night the room is locked and not left opened via the dead bolt. Thusly my new room didnt just get cleaned and become available, had that been the case all the other rooms with the dead bolt keeping the door open would have also been properly locked since they too would have been in the inventory.

Is it possible my room and my room alone was checked even thou many others were also cleaned awaiting inspection, yes its possible but very doubtful at that. Usually they inspect a for at time. Now had no other rooms had their dead bolt open then I would have to have assumed they were cleaned and are being occupied by the same party for another night.Or had housekeeping been working on the room next to mine, what you said would probably have been the case. Since housekeeping was working a number of rooms away from mine and numerous rooms had the dead bolt keeping the doors open, I would say in this case you assumption was wrong.

Some hotels simply keep the doors wide open once the room was cleaned and isnt being occupied by teh same party for another night.Others simply have housekeeping throw the dead bolt so the door doesnt close.Its alot easier for the inspector to know which rooms were in fact cleaned and ready to be placed into the inventory.Needless to say any room not occupied the previous night doesnt get recleaned and need not be inspected once it was the previous day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.