Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kdinino
Will I need an Argentinian visa as well?
What is your citizenship? U.S. citizens don't need a visa, but do need to pay the reciprocity fee (good for ten years).
Old May 20, 2015, 11:00 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
usa citizen
Old May 21, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
As a US citizen you need a Brazilian visa and you'll need to pay the reciprocity fee for Argentina. For Argentina, you must pay the fee online prior to arriving in Argentina. Print out a ton of copies of your receipt. It's been my experience that many/all immigration agents don't have access to any database showing payment so they all wanted to see, and then kept, a copy of the receipt...every time I entered Argentina....sigh
Old May 22, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kdinino
Trying to figure out what Visas I need - flying from GIG-IGU and know I need to a Brazilian Visa for GIG.

It seems that IGU is in Argentina and the Sheraton is as well? Will I need an Argentinian visa as well? That puts a damper on the wallet for our 3 day stop in IGU...
Iguazu has two sides-- Brazilian & Argentinian. The Sheraton is on the Argentinian side and you'll need a reciprocity fee for Argentina & Visa for Brazil should you want to stray from the Argentinian side to the Brazilian side.

I've certainly read of people going on day trips from the Argentinian side to Brazil without the visa when in a group, but YMMV.

Originally Posted by dcstudent
As a US citizen you need a Brazilian visa and you'll need to pay the reciprocity fee for Argentina. For Argentina, you must pay the fee online prior to arriving in Argentina. Print out a ton of copies of your receipt. It's been my experience that many/all immigration agents don't have access to any database showing payment so they all wanted to see, and then kept, a copy of the receipt...every time I entered Argentina....sigh
When I went to Argentina, the only time the reciprocity fee was checked was at JFK airport before I even left. Nobody checked when I landed, nobody checked when I left for or came back from Uruguay, and nobody checked back and forth from BA to Iguazu.

Still, I would NOT recommend not paying it. The last thing you want is to get to Argentina and be denied entry after a 10+ hour flight because you didn't pay $160 and put on a flight home.
Old May 22, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I would say unless you already have your Brazilian visa and/or are trying to also go to Brazil - don't bother. The Argentinian side is huge and there are wonderful views and much to do. It's overkill to try to add the Brazilian side unless you have ample time and waterfalls are your thing. I spent 2 days on the Argentinian side and it was plenty. A 3rd day on the Brazilian side is overkill imo.
Old May 22, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by terpzone

When I went to Argentina, the only time the reciprocity fee was checked was at JFK airport before I even left. Nobody checked when I landed, nobody checked when I left for or came back from Uruguay, and nobody checked back and forth from BA to Iguazu.

Still, I would NOT recommend not paying it. The last thing you want is to get to Argentina and be denied entry after a 10+ hour flight because you didn't pay $160 and put on a flight home.
And therein lies the rub. With this silly reciprocity fee that the immigration officers can't all access the records for you'll see complete indifference as with terpzone, or they care, as was my experience, and its on you to be able to prove you paid.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:32 am

Looking to book this property around nov 20th. Reading some mix review about this place.

=\
Old May 26, 2015, 9:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FPmiles
Looking to book this property around nov 20th. Reading some mix review about this place.

=\
If you are elderly, or a middle-aged couple, go ahead and book. If you are young, single and happening, stay in town.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
If you are elderly, or a middle-aged couple, go ahead and book. If you are young, single and happening, stay in town.
Recommendation for in town hotel?

Might stay here 1 night just for the convenience and next to the fall / park.

I am a young adult couple with a 3rd friend joining us.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Agreed, this place if filled with many older people - but that's solely because of the price - not the fact that the hotel is poor. I found the proximity to the falls to be worthy of staying here and filling your day with all day activities gets you tired enough in the eves to just want to relax. I met many hostel folks who stayed in town that said the town wasn't all that - and had they had the money they'd have preferred to stay at the Sheraton too.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Agreed, this place if filled with many older people - but that's solely because of the price - not the fact that the hotel is poor. I found the proximity to the falls to be worthy of staying here and filling your day with all day activities gets you tired enough in the eves to just want to relax. I met many hostel folks who stayed in town that said the town wasn't all that - and had they had the money they'd have preferred to stay at the Sheraton too.
+1

When I visited Iguazu it was for the falls. I can't speak to how hip and happening the "scene" is in town, but I can't imagine it's worth the extra hassle.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:50 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Hi guys/gals,

Staying here next month but couldnt decide to stay 3 nights or just 2 nights. Would prefer staying 2 nights as this hotel is quite $$$. But if 2 nights is not enough, will stay 3.

Staying only in argentina side and arriving noon on day 1.

Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by supatight80
Hi guys/gals,

Staying here next month but couldnt decide to stay 3 nights or just 2 nights. Would prefer staying 2 nights as this hotel is quite $$$. But if 2 nights is not enough, will stay 3.

Thanks!
IMO 2 nights is sufficient if you won't be doing the Brazilian side. But on your check out day you should plan on spending as much of the day there as possible. That will allow you to see something you didn't have time for or to do something, like taking the boat under the falls, that sometimes gets postponed by weather.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by supatight80

I did this on a 2 night stay :
Day 1, arrive noon, Argentina side, staying in the park after the day visitors have left
Day 2, full day on the Brazil side, inc rainforest tour and boat trip under the falls
Day 3, morning on the Argentina side, getting in before the day trippers arrive. Flight departed IGU 16:00

IMHO, if you only plan to visit the falls once, then the Brazil side is a must.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by LAXGUY
IMO 2 nights is sufficient if you won't be doing the Brazilian side. But on your check out day you should plan on spending as much of the day there as possible. That will allow you to see something you didn't have time for or to do something, like taking the boat under the falls, that sometimes gets postponed by weather.
Thank you!

You know if theyre a bit stingy with late check out requests? 10AM standard checkout time seems pretty early. Thinking of perhaps checking out at 2 or 3.

And you remember how much regular taxi from IGR to hotel is as well as entrance fee to park?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.