Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Why I still prefer Hilton Diamond to SPG Platinum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2001, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Ok, this is not meant to be a criticism of Starwood, just an observation of my experience of SPG Platinum compared to Hilton Diamond.

I am taking a few days break at the moment, origionally I was booked 3 days at the Hilton Malta and 3 days at the Hilton Tunis. After staying 3 days at Malta I decided not to travel on to Tunis but stay in Malta (I just couldn't face another flight!), the Hilton Malta couldn't accomodate me, so I book the remainder of my holiday in the Westin Resort next door to the Hilton.

Here is the comparison...

Monday arrived at the Hilton, It was an award stay, so wasn't expecting much of a room, probably a room on the Executive Floor. Upon arrival I was told they had upgraded me to the best available Suite, and very nice it was too. Each day we had a gift of a bottel fo wine, cheese chocolates etc., and of course all day access to a fantastic Executive Lounge.

On Wednesday I asked if I could extend my stay for an additional 3 days (paid of course), they appologised but said they could only extend for one night, but they could arrange for my luggage to be transfered to either the Radisson, Le Meridien or Westin, all of which had availability.

In the end I booked directly with the SPG, I described my Suite at the Hilton and said I would like something comparable as Sim would be dissapointed with anything less - they quoted the price for a King Executive Suite which I happily agreed to.

Upon checking out of the Hilton they seemed genuinely sorry they could not accomodate me for the extra nights, and in what I feel was an excellent gesture they waived the charge for the extra night!

Ok, short walk across the Street to the Westin. Upon arrival I am told "The computers are down we can't check you in", no indication was given as to when I should come back etc. We went for lunch and returned a couple of hours later. We were gievn keys to rooms 809 and 811 (an ominous sign I though). We went up to the 8th/Executive Floor to our 'suite' (remember we are paying rack rate for this), it was a major dissapointment. It was not a suite at all, but two bedrooms linked by a connecting door (two bathrooms, two wardrobes, two mini-bars etc - even identical pictures in each room, the only difference was that in one room the bed had been replaced by a sofa).

Sim had a scout round and was amazed that there was a used bar of soap and half empty bottle of shampoo in the shower, and I was amazed that the first two bottle I got out of the mini-bar were half empty. Of course there was (and subsequently hasn't been) any welcome gift of any kind. Nor was there any indication to the benefits of the Executive Floor (no welcome letter for example), so we don't know when the lounge is open.

Disappointed I rang reception and asked if there were any proper suites available, to which I was told "You have already been upgraded as a Starwood Platinum", of ocurse I hadn't I was paying the rack rate for this "suite".

And for me the real clincher was that I know it would actually be cheaper to book two connecting rooms, than these two connecting rooms which they called a suite.

Again, this isn't a criticism of Starwodd, just another example that Hilton looks after me in a way Starwood can't.

No suprises then that I have changed my Sunday and Monday night stays in London and Paris from Sheraton to Hilton.

I am still in the Westin at the moment, and on the way to use this PC I bumped into the Duty Manager, I of course used the opportunity to tell him about my experience - he said he was "sorry", and they would look into issuing Welcome letters...

Nick

Old Jan 27, 2001, 7:58 am
DOC 2 BE

As a HHonors Gold, I will be very interested to know your treatment at the Hilton Paris, as some have reported less than stellar treatmet. Please file a short report re same.

And wow, the Hilton Malta waived your only night's paid charge!! That was brilliant (A term you Brits love to use!). How is its location, is it near to the sites of Valetta? Is the beach nice, does it have a resort feel?

Sorry Starwood guys for comandeering your thread to discuss Hilton matters!

Old Jan 27, 2001, 9:48 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
The one thing I realize after complaining about Hilton and after reading about your experience at the Westin is that none of these experiences really matters.

Each hotel is different regardless of chain. Each provide frequent guest program perks that differ from what is "advertised."

Hilton might be better than the Westin in Malta. But I bet you the tables are turned in another locale and vice versa.

But overall, if you disregard upgrade perks from both programs, SPG is still a better program that HHonors just because of the no-blackout date redemption. This seems to be the one thing that a SPG member can count on regardless of location.
Old Jan 27, 2001, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
Merry:

I've been with Starwood for 2 1/2 years and last year I also qualified as a HHonors Diamond. I've had a isolated negative experiences at both chains - the key is "isolated". Overall HHonors does not compare to SPG.
- No blackout dates on award
- Abilty to book online - Hilton you have to wait to receive a coupon in the mail from Dallas, TX. If you want it expedited they charge you $25
- Consistent upgrade policies throughout the properties
- SPG has an overall higher quality of properties (everyone, including SPG, has dog properties - there just happen to be more at Hilton worldwide)
- SPG's Platinum package is better than Hilton's Diamond package - O.K., that last one was a cheap blow

As Forest Gump would say "That's all I have to say about that"

------------------
Ken in Sacramento
Old Jan 27, 2001, 10:40 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I stayed in both the Hilton and Westin Malta last year. I agree that for this location the Hilton is the way to go.
Old Jan 27, 2001, 1:35 pm

Doc 2 Be:

I've been treated very well by the Hilton Paris. If you want details, email me so we don't muck up the thread any more than we have already.

Merry:
While I can't match your heights of elegance and fine living I've found almost exactly the opposite. I'm a Hilton Gold and a newly minted SPG Gold, and I think (with a few exceptions), SPG treated me better as a non-entity than Hilton ever has as a Gold.

Seawolf has it right in that it depends on the hotel.

At least part of your holiday was good. Too bad it was the first bit, though. It makes the second bit seem that much worse.

Old Jan 27, 2001, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Merry, I've never stayed at the Paris Hilton, but given the comments on their site, I would say it was 'mixed' at best. On the other hand, the Prince de Galles in Paris was a wonderful experience for me--and that utilizing a Free Friday! But, to each his own
Old Jan 27, 2001, 5:08 pm
DOC 2 BE

Dear Merry,

I always stay at the Paris Hilton, but that is because I am a Hilton and not a Starwood person. I like the Left bank more than the Right bank, BUT the Starwood property is usually much more expensive than the Hilton and I have read that it is much more luxurious.

If you are interested in earning points and the price is that much better at the Hilton I would select it. However, if that is not a concern to you or you wish to spend your points and either they are approx. equal in number or it just does not matter to you, I think that you might like the Sheraton better.

However, if I am ever in Malta, it is certainly going to be the Hilton!

Old Jan 28, 2001, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Greetings from some lounge at Malta airport... I am sorry to say that my experience at the Westin Malta only got worse and it was a relief to check-out this morning.

Last night we arrived back at the hotel to find the keys to our rooms didn't work (of course they had been programmed incorrectly), not wanting to treck down to reception I phoned 'Service Express' from the Exec Lounge requesting that they send someone to let us in... several 'phone calls later, it took them 1 hour 40 minutes to send a Security Guard to "let us in our safe"!!

In the end I went to Reception, registered my frustration and asked that the Duty Manager contact me - of course he didn't!

My point here is not that SPG is better or worse than Hilton - my point is that as a Hilton Diamond I am treated better (on most occassions) that a Starwood Platinum. I am not interseted in upgrades as I normally book Suites anyway, and this is certainly one area where SPG seems superior. But if you are looking for good service and little extras above upgrades, I find Hilton far superior.

As far as the Paris Hilton goes, I hate the place - but I guess I am in a rut.

Nick
Old Jan 28, 2001, 7:57 am
DOC 2 BE

Dear Merry,

Could yo let us know your experiences at the Paris Hilton?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.