Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

New Platinum Qualification Requirements for 2001!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Platinum Qualification Requirements for 2001!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2000, 9:31 am

I agree. Starwood you seem to becoming just another hotel company
Old Dec 25, 2000, 9:31 am

I agree. Starwood you seem to becoming just another hotel company
Old Dec 25, 2000, 1:05 pm

here's a prediction:

no more rooms at "sold-out" hotels for platinums - either starwood will kill off this privilege or it will be diluted beyond recognition (you'll only be able to get the rack rate and/or many more hotels will claim the exception that some resorts now claim to duck out of this offering for platinums)

still, i wonder: would starwood really be doing this if they knew it would result in worse service to their best customers? they must have a good reason, right?

so how bout it, starwood lurker? could you tell us what the reasoning is? you can't prefer to just sit back and read the idle speculation here on starwood's reasoning, can you?

unless, of course, this is just a trial balloon on starwood's behalf

Old Dec 25, 2000, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Maybe I am not reading the posts correctly, but I don't really read any dilution. I also think that SW has been too easy in granting Gold and Platinum status. Gold seems to be an automatic for most (remember the cards we got to hand out a few months ago). And, of course, the more higher level members they have, the less benefits they can offer.

Maybe they do need a Platinum Preferred for those with 60+ nights per year and keep all the old benefits ??
Old Dec 25, 2000, 7:14 pm

Once upon a time, Gold use to mean something, perhaps not much but these days it really doesn't have any benefits. I believe there will indeed be a dilution of benefits as there are more Platinum members around the world due to the lowering of the qualifications. Perhaps this will be to my benefit someday when I simply won't travel as much but I do believe that those who do have a substantial number of stays and nights at Starwood should reap the benefits.

Old Dec 25, 2000, 11:20 pm

Originally posted by ron-val-ron:
here's a prediction:
so how bout it, starwood lurker? could you tell us what the reasoning is? you can't prefer to just sit back and read the idle speculation here on starwood's reasoning, can you?
Ron,
As William will be out until 1/9/01, it may be some time before a reply is posted. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/001102.html

Platinum benifits will remain the same when booking a hotel that is sold out for the 72 hour policy. You still have to book at rack, executive travler rate, or your corporate rate, resorts are still not part of the forced policy. Most travlers should know their corporate rate.
I would not look for a fast track to platinum in the future as they had last year. I think that a good percentage of the people who earned the promotion will not make Platinum this next year.

siliconengineer

Obviously we don't really know how Starwood comes up with the number of stays or nights needed, but it could be based on how many Platinums they want, or what percentage of members they want in that category.
I have to agree with this. Again they are going to drop a large number back to gold, and drop those who didn't make gold to a basic member. That promotion was for a target group of members who were already close to making Platinum. Once people found out about it, they allowed anyone who called and asked about it sign up. Was this a good thing? No, but they had to keep members happy.

Goucho

I have not heard of any plans for a higher level from my contacts. I would wait until they are sending out the new cards and terms and condtions, or check the web site mid February.

------------------
axicano= A Chicano
Austin,TX Live Music Capitol of the World
Old Dec 26, 2000, 3:19 am
Commander Catcop

I don't know how I feel about this. My concern is about the growth in the number of Platniums and the less availability of award rooms and hotels. SO like Opus I'll have a better idea later in the year.

OMNI to MileKing: very cute (the cat out of the bag!) I would hope so!
Old Dec 26, 2000, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
I think this is a good move for Starwood. As those who stay at their properties and deal with their customer service, they are one of the best, if not the best out there.

My feelings are that becuase they go out of their way (more often than not) to accomodate their best customers that lowering the threshold and thus attracting and ultimately retaining more business travelers, the chain with profit. As well all know, even if they have the best product in the world, Starwood needs to keep increasing revenue. Plus, more revenue = more expansion, thus more properties to stay at ... and so on.
Old Dec 26, 2000, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Originally posted by opus17:
Depending on how many times I stay at Starwood next year, I am for the change or against it.

I'll get back to you on this.
I feel a bit dumb saying this (after being cited by others), but I hope everyone realizes my post above was somewhat on the satirical side -- implying that I am in favor of whatever will benefit me, personally.

Have a happy new year, regardless of status!

[This message has been edited by opus17 (edited 12-26-2000).]
Old Dec 26, 2000, 2:49 pm

Originally posted by Catman:
I don't know how I feel about this. My concern is about the growth in the number of Platniums and the less availability of award rooms and hotels.
Okay, if the hotel has rooms, they have awards avalible. Doesnt matter if you are platinum and the hotel is sold out, or Gold and it has one room left. As far as hotel avaliblity, Platinums can get 72 hour by 4pm.

Old Dec 26, 2000, 3:51 pm

Originally posted by MileKing:
Well, since the Starwood Lurker has let the cat out of the bag on another thread, I don't feel sworn to secrecy anymore. Effective January 1, 2001, Starwood has REDUCED the stay requirements for Platinum qualification. The new requirements are 20 stays or 40 nights (down from 25 stays and 50 nights this year).
I have not received my first e-mail statement yet which indicates the new stay requirements for Platinum. I was just at the web site and have seen no mention of change in Platinum status. Is it possible that the Lurker's comments have been mis-interpreted?

Maybe SPG is waiting to announce the change on Jan.1, '01? Or has something come out from SPG that I've missed?

Old Dec 26, 2000, 5:55 pm

toadman nope its true its coming.
I thing sci is being reincarnated(sp)
let us give a moment of silence for westin premier.

I remember when the hotel's had to listen to the premier desk.
At least bring back the breakfest coupons

[This message has been edited by nj_flyer (edited 12-26-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.