Search

Fwee Fwiday at the Palace, SF

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 1999, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Fwee Fwiday at the Palace, SF

(I get tonguetied trying to say free friday). Yesterday at 900 AM, I made a reservation for a free friday at the Palace. All 3 sf downtown starwoods were available. So I decided to try the one that I hadn't stayed at in years.

Arrived at 6PM. No record of my reservation. Took the info, got me a very nice room. As there was no record at the hotel, I gave him the conf #, the platinum card, and once he saw that, gave me a really nice room. Checkin took about 10 mins because of this. We even kinda joked about the "amenity" box and he said they would send "something" up.

I left the room at 630p and returned about midnight. No turndown, no welcome gift, no nothing. When I checked out, I politely told the checkout clerk of the problem with checkin, and the failure to even turndown the room, let alone the platinum amenity. He said that these things happen when two companies merge... oh and "I hear ya". That was it. No I'm sorry, no "is there anything I can do for you?" And so I took my receipt for approx. $45 (yes, parking and breakfast). I called SPG when I got home, but the particular dept that I needed to speak with was gone for the day. (Question... am I being petty? this room is one that goes for about $330 a night and I discovered that the hotel is even reimbursed $127.00 from Starwood for the free stay). I should have stayed at the StFrancis or W.
Old Aug 26, 1999, 8:43 am
Original Member

That's outrageous. I'd fire off a letter to Dave Starwood, Jr., right away! They should give you another free night somewhere as compensation.
Old Aug 27, 1999, 10:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
There's no such thing as being petty when the principle is on the line.
Old Aug 27, 1999, 5:10 pm
Original Member

I agree, the amount could be 10 grand, 10 bucks or even 10 lira it doesn't matter.

Good service is a matter of principle, you aren't being petty.
Old Aug 30, 1999, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, I had another Fwee Fwiday, this time at the Sheraton Libertador in Buenos Aires. (Not the icky main sheraton, nor the Park Tower, which would have been about $300 for the second night).

Wow. The hotel, while not "luxurious" was definitely just one step short of it, and the staff was really taking extra care to make sure everything was fine. And my room? Well, I have been given "suites", "junior suites" and other upgraded rooms that don't really seem like anything special. My room, however, here, had to be at least 1000 sq. feet (a LARGE living room with 2 couches, large round table, desk, 2 minibars, tv/vcr/cd... and the bedroom was equally as large. The bathroom had a nice sized jacuzzi, my own full sauna, a shower with 6 jets coming out of the walls.... And while I didn't get a silly welcome box, I got a nice 1/2 bottle of wine and snacks. After that stay a week ago at the Palace (which was inexcusable), this was absolutely something else
Old Aug 30, 1999, 2:16 pm
Original Member

You think it was just coincidence or was somebody at Starwood looking out for you after the previous stay (and reading your thread)?
Old Aug 30, 1999, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In this case, I really think its the hotel trying to make the guest happy. It's a newly branded Sheraton property, and the way I was treated (other than the room itself) was pretty standard for Latin American business hotel treatment, which is excellent (and in my opinion, better than some European treatment, because there is never any shred of pretentiousness). I would venture to say that the particular property has not had many SPG Platinum folk there yet, and given the price/service/location factors, I would stay there again even in a more "standard" room.
Old Aug 30, 1999, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
That plus the hospitality is world-class in Buenos Aires.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.