Outrageous Rates in the East

Old Aug 23, 1999, 10:29 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Outrageous Rates in the East

I had planned a leisure trip to Boston this fall. That means I pay for the hotel with after tax dollars. Starwood quotes $405.00 for the Westin Copley and $349.00 for the Sheraton a mile away. Mariott was no better at $299.00 for Copley and $400.00 for Long Wharf. A few years ago, I paid in the neighborhood of $89.00 to $165.00 for the abpve poperties. I am looking for a room. Not an equity position in the hotel.
Old Aug 23, 1999, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
claw:

If you're willing to rent a car while in Beantown, there is the Sheraton Colonial Boston North golf resort about 12 - 15 miles north of Boston in Wakefield/Lynnfield, MA. It's not a bad little Sheraton (I stayed there every week for 1.5 years) and I don't think the rates were too insane (I stayed on a negotiated business rate).

You'd be about a 10 - 15 min. drive (in good traffic) from a "T" stop with plenty of parking. The "T" & walking are the only sane ways to get around Boston.

Let me know if you would need more info.

------------------
Regards,
- Anna

Old Aug 24, 1999, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Keep on checking closer to arrival time. Book something else now. But as rooms don't get reserved and the time gets closer, the rates will go down ... unless there's some special event or the like. There could be a convention, etc. holding huge blocks of rooms that are "released" if they are not used.
Old Aug 24, 1999, 8:28 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The $89.-165. sounds like a weekend discount rate. Prices have gone up in the area too. If you need a room and can go to a surburban property, Marriott has quite a few cheaper properites in the full service realm as welas the Courtyard, Residense Inn etc. if you are willing to go downscale somewhat you might even snare a Fairfield Inn or something in a pinch.
Old Aug 24, 1999, 10:14 am

I'm with AnnaS. Unless you have a compelling reason to take your car into Boston, ride the T (subway).

It's laid out very well, it gets you to almost everything of interest in the city, and is pretty safe.

I live only 2 hours west and my mom still lives in Cambridge. Whenever I travel into Boston, I park the car at my mom's, walk down to Harvard Square and grab a train.

For someone not lucky enough to have a nearby relative, there is abundant parking at Alewife (Cambridge - Red Line) and Riverside (Newton, Green Line - right off Route 128/I95).

Another strategy is to take your car in town and park at the Boston Common underground garage. You can walk the Commons and Public Garden (don't forget the swan boats if you're with the kids or the significant other!), you can ride the train to virtually anywhere in town, and return for your car at the end of the day.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Aug 24, 1999, 11:00 am
Original Member

Welcome to Boston! Yup, recent studies in WSJ show that Boston hotels on average are the same if not higher than that of New York City.

Your best bet is to either hope for last-minute weekend fares in a downtown property, or book in suburban areas like Westin Waltham, rent a car to drive in to places accessible to the T, and T it to downtown, Cambridge, etc. (Remember, T closes by 12:30 so if you plan to out late at night, keep a cab number handy or park in a garage.)
Old Aug 24, 1999, 7:14 pm
Original Member

I agree with Anna and Jon. The suburbs will bring you the best rates and really are not inconvenient if you do a little research in advance. Sample rates in the following areas presently offered are Courtyard Woburn..$89.00,Marriott Burlington..$109.00, Wyndham Burlington..$89.00/Breakfast included, Bedford Renaissance Hotel..$79.00, booked directly with hotel. You can get other rates , either in Boston itself, or the outlying areas, by checking out "cheaplodging.com". Hope this helps.
Old Aug 24, 1999, 7:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta
The last time I was in Boston (about 4 wks ago) I stayed at the Boston Marriott Burlington. I paid $100 pernight which included breakfast for two. I rented a car with Avis $26 per day but parking at the Marriott location was free.

The Boston Marriott (Long Wharf) and the others in the area were charging over $400 per night without breakfast and extra for parking!
Old Aug 24, 1999, 7:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta
The Burlington Marriott is a very decent hotel! Very efficient staff.
Old Aug 24, 1999, 11:06 pm
In Memoriam

When is your trip? There's a bridge tournament in Boston over Thanksgiving (Nov. 18-28), and the Westin Copley Place's group rate is $101 per night (Marriott Copley Place $105). Don't know if either is still available (hotels fill up), but even then the tournament will have gotten other nearby hotels. E-mail me if you need a phone #...
Old Aug 26, 1999, 8:41 am
Original Member

Boston is outrageous, isn't it? I settled on the Courtyard by Marriott in Danvers (30 minutes North), a very nice hotel for $109 or so. Mostly I just stay away.
Old Aug 31, 1999, 3:07 pm

Programs: US Chairman, SPG PLAT, National Elite Exec
One more option to try is the Fairmont at Coply place. Believe it or not, they are often less expensive than each of the Hotels you mentioned and it is a wonderful property.

Join their Presidents Club for free and you will be eligable for a host of benifits including suite upgrades at check-in, if available, for $25/night more than reserved rate. http://www.fairmont.com/President/In...plication.html

FYI, I found a rate of $279 for a stay in mid-october and $189 for mid-december. I have seen rates in the last 6 months for as little as $139.

You should also check out their current promotions. http://www.fairmont.com/Hotels/Bosto...es/Promos.html

------------------

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.