Wiki Posts
Search

Borrowing points?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 1999, 12:05 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Borrowing points?

I recently made a booking at a Westin property and was about 370 points shy for the award I needed. The agent was nice enough to allow me to "borrow" those points in order to bring the account up to the correct amount I needed. Has anyone else experienced the same thing? Every time I have had to deal with Starwood, they have been excellent with supporting my needs.
Old Aug 3, 1999, 12:39 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I believe the AMEX Gold Plus Rewards Card is the only mileage program that has published rules allowing borrowing of points (up to 10,000 Membership Rewards points per year).

However, I have heard other anecdotal evidence that programs will allow this. I'm sure they look at two factors:

1) How much you want to borrow
2) You're previous earning patterns

in other words, I doubt they'll let you borrow more than about 10% and I also wouldn't think they'd let you borrow if you haven't earned miles with them in a year or two.
Old Aug 3, 1999, 3:14 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Glad to hear that they are so relatively accomodating and it is also good business practice in my opinion!
Old Aug 3, 1999, 4:13 pm
pgupta011

Yes, certainly it is good practice. Some other programs may also do so at their discretion, so if you are a little short its always best to ask and speak to a supervisor if necessary, stress that you are a good loyal customer and maybe they'll accommodate you.

With Diners if I am a little short I will buy a refundable ticket - they credit club reward points as soon as the transaction is posted.

Also Starwood has a feature which is not well advertised - two people in the same household can pool their points. The only other program I know which allows this is British Airways (US program).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.