Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Can I transfer points in and out?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 1999, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Help! Can I transfer points in and out?

I am a new member of Starwood and I am wondering if I can use my account to transfer points from AMEX Membership Rewards into my American AAdvantage account.

I need 100,000 AAdvantage points for 2 first class tickets to St. Thomas. I currently have about 75,000. I have 30,000 membership rewards (AMEX) points. Can I transfer the AMEX points to Starwood and then transfer them again to my AAdvantage account?
Old Aug 2, 1999, 2:30 pm
pgupta011

Yes you can transfer. But I don't think that you will get 25K AA miles from your 30K amex points.

You can transfer via other hotels too - Hilton, Holiday Inn, but I think that the conversion rate is quite poor for all of them.

Best route might be amex->delta->hilton->aa which will give you 14K AA miles for 30K amex points.

[This message has been edited by pgupta011 (edited 08-02-1999).]

Old Aug 2, 1999, 2:54 pm

YIKES! DON'T transfer Membership Rewards to Starwood. MR points transfer 1000MR = 333 Starwood points (BUMMER). This seems to be one of the only frustrating things about the new Starwood program. Earn an AE/MR point for a dollar spent and it is 1 MR point. Earn a Starwood Optima point for a dollar and it is 1 Starwood point. Convert a MR point to a Starwood point and it loses two thirds of its value.

Like I said, YIKES
Old Aug 2, 1999, 3:17 pm
pgupta011

This seems to be one of the only frustrating things about the new Starwood program.

Since the conversion ratio is poor for all hotels, I think the fault lies with Membership Rewards and not the individual hotel programs. I think that Starwood is sending a clear message - if you want to earn Starpoints through a credit card go with the Optima.

Old Aug 2, 1999, 4:51 pm

Programs: US Chairman, SPG PLAT, National Elite Exec
Here is the solution to your problem. One caveat, You must be flying AA or US to St. Thomas not a partner of either.

Transfer the miles you need from Amex to US Airways. If you are not a member join at http://dps2.usairways.com/cgi-bin/enroll.cgi

AA and US will let you pool miles in the two programs for travel on either airline, but NOT on partners. I.E. you can not pool miles for travel on Canadian Air to Australia.

The miles will transfer 1 to 1 from Amex to US letting you get the full value of your MR points.

After the miles post to US, call AA and tell them you wish to book your award with miles from both your AA and US accounts. The AA rep will be able to pull both and book the award while you are on the phone.

Enjoy the V.I.

------------------

[This message has been edited by BLADE (edited 08-02-1999).]
Old Aug 3, 1999, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Sorry for getting a bit off of the Starwood topic...

I like the AA-US Airways idea and had thought about that first. However, I was under the impression that you could only pool AA and US miles for coach awards. I am trying to get enough miles for 2 F tickets. Can I do it?

I figured it out from the AA homepage. Looks like I can combine points for F class tickets. Learn something new every day!

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-03-1999).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.