Wiki Posts
Search

The real 'value' of a starpoint

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 1999, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
The real 'value' of a starpoint

Copy of my posting on OMNI, in thread 'what is an FF point really worth'. Any experts here on starpoints? Any suggestions for using them in Hawaii?

I just got a First Class Rio de Janeiro / Honolulu ticket on United for 100,000 miles. In dollars it would have been $7944, so that makes each mile equivalent to 7.9 cents. However, I could have also have gone business class for 80,000 miles, cost $4870 or 6.1 cents per mile, or economy class for 50,000 miles, lowest economy $1688 or 3.4 cents per mile. So … the so-called value of a mile depends on what you do with it. In general, first class air travel is much cheaper in miles than in dollars, yielding higher cash equivalent values for miles. Does anyone know if the same is true for hotels, i.e., does a stay at the Luxury Collection give higher dollar value per mile than at Four Points?
Old Aug 1, 1999, 10:08 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I transfer all Starwood points (in increments of 20'000 Starwood points = 25'000 UA miles) into UA miles.

So - for me: 1 Starwood point = 1,25 UA miles

(and 1US$ spent = 3 Starwoodpoints = 3,75 UA miles)
Old Aug 1, 1999, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I think some of the Luxury collection point awards are a ripoff unless you can stay for the 5th night free. Without looking at the chart, I think the Category 5 properties are 12000 points or so. That's 6 weekend 4 points nights, isn't it? I think you have to analyze the hotel awards on a property by property basis. Some very nice hotels are maybe Cat 3... Around here, 4points are at least $100/nt. In other areas they may be $59. On the other hand, a Cat 4 room around here is about $250/nt. Also, some resorts during offseason are starpoint ripoffs when you can pay a low rate and earn them....
Old Aug 1, 1999, 11:21 pm
Original Member

Actually I think with Starwood, some of the best values might be in the category 2 hotels. Especially the 50% award, if you use it for all 5 nights. Even though its 50% of rack rate, I've seen lots of hotels where 50% off rack rate is a good deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.