Search

The Best Award Ever

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 1999, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
The Best Award Ever

Tomorrow I am going to take, what I think, is the overall best award ever offered by any program ever. (Overall value for redeemed points, etc.) Unfortunately, Starwood has discontinued the old Westin awards (air/hotel). For the equivilent of 100,000 starpoints, I got 2 business class tix to Paris (currently worth about $12,000 from where I live)(Starwood even paid the tax) PLUS four nights at one of the Paris properties (as you know, on the cheapest day of the year are about $300/nt).

Has anyone heard if Starwood is going to offer such packages again in the future? I can understand that without starpoints expiring that they may have to "up" the redemption level, but for 100,000 starpoints you don't get much more than a week at a luxury property, and that's it. I suppose I should be grateful that I got to redeem ONE of these awards before the program died into everlasting neverneverland.
Old Jul 22, 1999, 8:38 am

Location: San Jose, CA; AA Plat, CO Silver, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
While that is a great offer, I'm sure they're happy to give it to you for the 100,000 Starpoints you've earned. By my calculations, you're an elite member so you get 3 pts for every $1 you spend.

Assuming that you got 20,000 Starpoints from various other promotions (i.e. the 10,000 Starpoint introductory offer), that means, you would have had to spend $32,000 on hotel rooms etc. to get the 80,000 remaining points for the award.

That kind of loyalty deserves a hefty reward. Have fun on your trip!

--Ryan
Old Jul 22, 1999, 8:57 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Although that is obviously an excellent reward, I believe the Hyatt Dreamscape has won the Freddie for best award for good reason (and I believe it may have even won while the Westin award was still available):

For 250,000 Hyatt GP points (which is $50,000 in spend with absolutely no bonuses, which is comparable to the Westin award with no bonuses I believe):

Free 10 night Dreamscape, 2 free round-trip tickets for U.S. or international travel, and a free full-size car for 4 weekend days.

They also have a slightly lesser Dreamscape award for only 150,000 points that is 8 night, tickets for US travel, and mid-size car for four weekend days (I'm thinking the 8-day Dreamscape may be a better value than the 10-day actually).
Old Jul 22, 1999, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Do those "Dreamscape" awards include premium air? That is the big extra that I'm aware of with this one, because "award" air from a hotel program into an airline is certainly going to be some nonupgradable farebase. Anyway, au revior... till next week
Old Jul 22, 1999, 9:42 am

Since it doesn't say, I assume it's coach air travel, which is why one award is not necessarily a clear cut winner of the other (premium travel vs. more hotel nights and free car) ...
Old Jul 22, 1999, 10:27 am
pgupta011

I'd give the edge to Westin award simply because of the huge price difference between coach and business.

Personally - I didn't/don't have that many points in either Westin/Hyatt, so I would use my airline miles for air tickets and hotel points for hotel stay.

How are Hyatt Dreamscape awards affected by premium periods? Do you need more points for certain periods/hotels?

[This message has been edited by pgupta011 (edited 07-22-1999).]

Old Jul 22, 1999, 11:53 am

You can give the Westin award the edge, but as Eastbay pointed out, it's unfortunately no longer available!

As for the Hyatt award, for a "Premium period" there is a 5,000 point per night surcharge usually, which I assume would also apply to Dreamscapes?
Old Jul 22, 1999, 1:05 pm
pgupta011

Good point Beckles

Old Jul 23, 1999, 11:18 am

No question about it, Marriott has the absolute best award and the Freddie from a couple years ago to prove it.

For 200,000 points ($20,000 spent assuming no bonus), you get 2 tickets anywhere in the world, 7 nights at any property and 8 day Hertz rental.

The 100,000 Starpoints require spending $50,000 for less nights and no car.
Old Jul 23, 1999, 12:10 pm

Hmmm ... you're right ... that is an even better value, and actually I would argue that the best reward regardless of cost is:

20 free nights (2 10-night certificates), 4 round-trip coach tickets anywhere in the world (served by Marriott's airline partners) and 11 free days on a 4-door full size rental car.

That is probably the best award ... even when you factor in the cost of 425,000 points, that's only $42,500 of spend.
Old Jul 28, 1999, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, the trip was great, the hotel was charming (the Westin Demure Castille ... other than the trip home (which took me from 9AM in Paris on the 27th till I arrived in SFO at 1030AM on the 28th ... I think I'll post a story on the UA page ... one engine fire, one mechanical, one ATC disaster and one cancellation...)
Old Jul 29, 1999, 4:12 am

Hey Eastbay, someone calculated that you spent $32,000 to get back $12,000, that's a 38% return. That's quite a achievement. I bet you enjoyed your trip all the more savoring your savings.
Old Jul 29, 1999, 4:15 am

I guess I diminished your achievement. I didn't include the room charge.
Old Jul 29, 1999, 6:56 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Marriott once had an award (1987) that was even better. For 350,000 points (which I earned in one year - before affinity credit cards) they had award PZ.
1. Four airline tickets anywhere in the world (you could even split airlines - I took 2 on Continental to Austrailia and 2 on TWA to Vienna).
2. Three separate 4 night hotel stays which were bookable as *suites*.
3. Three separate 5 day car rentals.
4. SPECIAL - A 7 day Greek Island cruise, for 2 people. (Marriott owned an interest in Sun Line Cruises for a period to time).
Old Jul 29, 1999, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, the "Room Charge" is pretty substantial. The cheapest rooms at that hotel were almost 300 euros a night, and the "deluxe room" we had was being offered (no, not the inflated on the room-door price of about e550) at about e380. Also, the included breakfast would have cost about $50 a day for 2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.